Soap wrapping with translucent paper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, as some of you know (since I’m always blathering away about my booth) I sell at various venues. I invested a while ago in a shrinkwrapping system, but the truth is I don’t love it. I appreciate that it is transparent, so buyers can see the designs, and I appreciate that the wrapping protects the bars. And I can “freshen up“ the wrapping by passing the heat gun by it. But I don’t like the plastic and customers don’t either.
I don’t want to sell “naked” bars. Just me. Also don’t want to use cigar bands or boxes. Also, just my preference.
I have started wrapping a few soaps that don’t have designs with deli wrappers, ones that I had on hand, that have a plastic coating (some have soy based plastic but these don’t). I got the idea from @DeeAnna from this post:
Thread 'Kabnet Wax deli paper for wrapping bar soap'
Kabnet Wax deli paper for wrapping bar soap

I am still using translucent plastic labels which probably have more plastic than the shrinkwrapping, per bar. 😐
I have a notion about printing labels on translucent paper if I could find the right material. Glassine paper is all plant fiber, no plastic. I can’t nail down if it it printable on a laser printer but I’m still researching. But I think it might be too delicate. Vellum paper is nifty and translucent, but a little heavy I think. I currently have my sample bars labeled with the name of the bar with a vellum cigar band - it’s eye-catching and works well but they do become loose over time. For my round bars I have used florist wrap but I’m pretty certain it is coated with plastic. it is translucent and remarkably sturdy.
Not to say that glassine and vellum are perfect, I don’t know the carbon footprint of creating them. But at least the buyer doesn’t end up with plastic.

Anybody else use vellum or glassine paper to wrap their soap? Where is this unicorn of soap wrapping; translucent, eco friendly, budget friendly, sturdy but delicate, printable paper? 🦄
I have been using vellum. It looks really nice, and if you want to get fancy it prints up well with an ink jet printer.

Well… I tried printing on the 25 lb lightweight vellum but my laser jet no likey. It seemed to catch around the gears and made a horrible grinding noise. I disentangled it and then tried again (because I am a risk taker, apparently). The second time, it went through but grumpily, and the label came out wrinkled and unusable. I think if I taped a sheet of the tracing paper to a piece of paper it would work, but that would be tedious, I can only print two at a time. (i might do it anyway just to see…)
:( The tracing paper I have travels smoothly through my inkjet printer, but it’s basically a straight shot because this particular portable printer doesn’t print on two sides.

I went down the YouTube rabbit hole and found quite a few great ideas! This was my favorite. I was just thinking about how to wrap, so thank you for reviving this thread and all the good ideas! I’m also against plastic whenever possible.
Ellen Ruth soap
love ellen ruth, thank you for this link I hadn't seen this one!

Hi all, here are the results of my unscientific review of the wrapping options I have looked at. Still pondering. I am thinking about trying washi paper, there are some interesting options available. As I said before, because I sell at outdoor markets my bars need to be protected and the wrapping needs to hold up to humidity, or at least not get completely destroyed.
MethodCostCost per barUpsideDownsideOther notesLink
60 gage perforated biolefin$114$0.03Soap is visible, protected, can sort of smell it through the wrapperPlastic. Not sure about true biodegradability. Still requires a label which is also plastic if I want it to be see through.60 gage prone to blowouts - seems to soften on soap over time, which is consistent with biodegradability claims. Shrinkwrapping is kind of a pain, but fairly quick.18” 500’ 60ga Perforated Biolefin
75 gage cross linked polyolefin$57.95$0.01Soap is visible, protected.Plastic. Not biodegradable.Sturdier than 60 gage. Does not soften over time18” 500’ 75ga Perforated Cross Linked Polyolefin
Boxes$175$0.35Can smell through peephole, soap is protect in transit, no plastic. Looks good. No plastic. Recyclable.Mostly not visible. Expensive. Still needs to be labeled.Many options available.Soap Box - Sleeve And Tray | BrambleBerry
Half box / tuxedo wrapSoap mostly visible, wrapping recyclableNot as well protected for market transit. Hides part of the soap. Time consuming.
Cigar band style labelSoap mostly visible, wrapping recyclableNot protected. Wrapper loosens over time.
Deli wrapper conventional white$15.29$0.03Translucent paper lets you sort of see the soap. Has a softer feel than the vellum.Plastic coating. Doesn't go through printer conveniently.Amazon.com
Deli wrapper eco friendly$22.76$0.05Translucent paper lets you sort of see the soap. Soy based plastic coating on some brands.Doesn't go through printer conveniently. Wrappers I found are brownish (because unbleached) - looks dark on display rack.Deli Wrap
39 lb 60 gsm vellum$7.99$0.04Translucent, tidy looking. Printable, no label needed.Smell is subtle to nonexistent, but honestly about the same as shrinkwrap. A little stiff.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZMLT1JK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
25 lb 40 gsm vellum$8$0.08Very translucent, tidy looking.Doesn't work in my printer conveniently, so would need to add a label anyway. Smell is subtle to nonexistent. Still a little stiff.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PP1BUN...KVEA6V5VA38Q1VZKGPB9_1&tag=forumyield-20&th=1
Glassine$28$0.03More translucent than vellum. Recyclable. Very nice look.Very prone to wrinkling with exposure to humidity. Don't think it would hold up to markets. Doesn't print. Still needs labels.Glassine Paper Sheet 8" x 10" 25 pack GS8
Floral wrap$28.50$0.01Surpringly strong, can smell through it, somewhat translucent. Inexpensive.Has wax coating probably petroleum based. Starts to stick to soap when exposed to humidity. Has to be cut to size.White Waxed Floral Tissue Paper, 18x24", Bulk 480 Sheet Pack
Mulberry paper, washi paper$12.97$0.13Interesting texture, many options available. Somewhat translucent.Don't know if it prints. Not sure about how it would hold up in markets. Expensive.

Last edited:
That is so helpful, @Vicki C!

I apologize if you answered this in a prior thread, but is the floral wrap printable, or do you have to add a label?

FWIW, I've also used coffee filters (bleached and unbleached). They are inexpensive and can look cute. However, they are not water resistant, do not show the soap, and do require labels AFIK (never tried running them through a printer).

That is so helpful, @Vicki C!

I apologize if you answered this in a prior thread, but is the floral wrap printable, or do you have to add a label?

FWIW, I've also used coffee filters (bleached and unbleached). They are inexpensive and can look cute. However, they are not water resistant, do not show the soap, and do require labels AFIK (never tried running them through a printer).
Yes I should have included coffee filters - also the reusable tea bags mentioned by @Mobjack Bay.
The floral wrap is not printable - at least I haven’t tried to print on it. I use it to wrap my “stone soap” which is roundish - the label holds on the folded part.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this was covered yet but I box my soap. I bought a Cricut to design a soap box for myself. I don't think it would be very convenient for big time makers but I just do small markets here and there. It will print out my business name and what needs to be on the front, then I do the ingredients on the back with a label. Rather time consuming but it protects my soaps, displays them as well as sniff-able.

Attachments

• Boxed soap.JPG
    Boxed soap.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure if this was covered yet but I box my soap. I bought a Cricut to design a soap box for myself. I don't think it would be very convenient for big time makers but I just do small markets here and there. It will print out my business name and what needs to be on the front, then I do the ingredients on the back with a label. Rather time consuming but it protects my soaps, displays them as well as sniff-able.
Very nice! I mentioned boxes at the beginning of the thread - I don’t want to use them for a number of reasons, but that’s just me.

Latest posts

Back