Soap wrapping with translucent paper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plastics aren’t the only thing we need to worry about. Had hoped Biolefin was a good answer until I did a scholarly lit search. Then I read that even paper products are problematic. PFAS forever chemicals and derivatives are used to make food product wraps and containers grease resistant. Our Town just installed a PFAS filtration system 💰💰💰 to treat our water.
This is sad. I appreciate your sharing it, though. I'd rather make wiser choices based on research. At least if I can aim for the least-negative options wherever possible, that's something.

@Vicki C can you smell the soap through the vellum paper you used for the Gardener's soap? We've decided that we can't detect any scent for the soap that is completely wrapped in the tracing/vellum paper I bought.

I also ordered tracing paper (lightweight vellum-ish) from Amazon. The brand is Canson Artist Series tracing paper, which is 25 lb/40 gsm, so a little lighter than what @Vicki C used. I can't find anything about how this particular paper is made, but did find this wiki page that describes the chemical process for making tracing paper/vellum, which involves sulfite processing of cellulose and does not involve plastic. I wasn't able to find this particular paper in standard letter size for feeding through a printer.

Here's a comparison of the two bakery papers (left and center; < $0.02 per sheet, each sheet wraps one of my bar soaps) and the Canson paper (right; $0.15 per 9x12 sheet, can cut to wrap at least two bar soaps). I like the look of the tracing paper the best, followed by the brown bakery tissue. I haven't tried it yet, but based on how it feels I am reasonably certain that the tracing paper will go through the printer without damage. The white tissue is the most wrinkled which is a negative, but that particular sheet came from the top of the box and I took the second photo in bright angled sunshine in order to accentuate the wrinkles. Based on my experience with the brown tissue, the white tissue should be less wrinkled as I get further into the box. Both bakery tissues are letting (a lot?) more scent through compared with the tracing paper. I guess that could be a negative or a positive depending on whether or not I want to use a display soap.

View attachment 74383View attachment 74382

Thanks @Vicki C for getting this thread started! I like having these options.
This is SO helpful! I really like how that tracing paper looks. The deli wrapper is fine too but I like the vellum best. I’m really set on printing on the paper. If cut to 8.5 x 11 do you think the tracing paper would print?
@Vicki C can you smell the soap through the vellum paper you used for the Gardener's soap? We've decided that we can't detect any scent for the soap that is completely wrapped in the tracing/vellum paper I bought.
Good question. I just compared the deli wrapper soap (lemongrass) and the vellum wrapped soap, and the deli wrapped soap smells much stronger. The vellum wrapped soap has a fragrance but it’s subtle.
It does look quite beautiful. And it looks like you can print right on the paper rather than affixing a label? Here's another ignorance question: Does the soap make oil marks on the vellum tracing paper over time?
I’m not sure, but I’ll follow up. I think the biggest disadvantage with vellum is that it gets less smooth in humidity - it kind of expands and absorbs moisture. I think. It’s hot and humid here lately so I’ll try leaving a bar outside today and report back.

Last edited:
This is SO helpful! I really like how that tracing paper looks. The deli wrapper is fine too but I like the vellum best. I’m really set on printing on the paper. If cut to 8.5 x 11 do you think the tracing paper would print?

Good question. I just compared the deli wrapper soap (lemongrass) and the vellum wrapped soap, and the deli wrapped soap smells much stronger. The vellum wrapped soap has a fragrance but it’s subtle.

I’m not sure, but I’ll follow up. I think the biggest disadvantage with vellum is that it gets less smooth in humidity - it kind of expands and absorbs moisture. I think. It’s hot and humid here lately so I’ll try leaving a bar outside today and report back.
Thanks. I will appreciate the feedback.

I am grateful for the thought and care that many people are showing WRT the packaging waste. There isn’t a perfect solution - but it makes my heart glad to know that many are trying to find less harmful ways to soap, and to share our soap!
I wrap my soaps in compostable coffee filters. I appreciate that these are manufactured, using chemicals - and are shipped from point of origin to my city. But it’s the best solution I have come up with, other than not wrapping at all. And - I secure the filter wrap with a label, so there’s that. Sigh.

Good to know, sad to know! I thought I had found my clear wrapping answer that was a responsible choice. Too good to be true! I'll be looking for a better option.
That’s how I felt after I had invested in my shrinkwrap system and read that maybe biolefin wasn’t so great after all. 🤦🏻‍♀️

That’s how I felt after I had invested in my shrinkwrap system and read that maybe biolefin wasn’t so great after all. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Same 😫 I didn't spend much - maybe $100? - on a used heat sealer with mat. I am pretty sure I spent more than that (shipping cost included) on the roll of biolefin. All of it sits in a corner of my soap room. I should probably destash. :(

Last edited:

I bought a shrink wrapping system in the 90s, long before I was thinking this stuff through in much detail. I cringe at my own ignorance & lack of thought I put into that, but I have learned a great deal since then via personal research & have eliminated as many plastics as humanly possible from my personal 'manufacturing' process. It's a work in progress, without a doubt, and always improving, which I think is key. Smashing each other & ourselves over the head regarding this issue is counterproductive. Finding solutions together, without judgement, is what will help.

There are still the bottles / containers / plastic fricken bags ‼️ / jugs etc which raw materials come in, which really bother me. So I have started getting in touch with companies & letting them know that glass is always preferable over plastic whenever possible & to NOT triple wrap my orders in layers of bubblewrap & other 💩 I detest that stuff so much. I believe this is super important because most of the people / companies we buy raw materials from ain't gonna change their game much unless we start saying the same thing - ditch the plastic wherever possible or we will look elsewhere for supplies.

We've got wolves howling outdoors here now, and blue jays squawking crazily during the day, so beautiful to listen to, mother deer coming with their fawns, so beautiful to interact with....those animals & many others, the plants which I harvest all year & love, as well as my children & grandchildren and this planet which sustains us are my personal reasons for focusing on this & other related issues.

I am very happy & grateful that others are thinking about this issue & making their own personal changes ❤️

I bought a shrink wrapping system in the 90s, long before I was thinking this stuff through in much detail. I cringe at my own ignorance & lack of thought I put into that, but I have learned a great deal since then via personal research & have eliminated as many plastics as humanly possible from my personal 'manufacturing' process. It's a work in progress, without a doubt, and always improving, which I think is key. Smashing each other & ourselves over the head regarding this issue is counterproductive. Finding solutions together, without judgement, is what will help.

There are still the bottles / containers / plastic fricken bags ‼️ / jugs etc which raw materials come in, which really bother me. So I have started getting in touch with companies & letting them know that glass is always preferable over plastic whenever possible & to NOT triple wrap my orders in layers of bubblewrap & other 💩 I detest that stuff so much. I believe this is super important because most of the people / companies we buy raw materials from ain't gonna change their game much unless we start saying the same thing - ditch the plastic wherever possible or we will look elsewhere for supplies.

We've got wolves howling outdoors here now, and blue jays squawking crazily during the day, so beautiful to listen to, mother deer coming with their fawns, so beautiful to interact with....those animals & many others, the plants which I harvest all year & love, as well as my children & grandchildren and this planet which sustains us are my personal reasons for focusing on this & other related issues.

I am very happy & grateful that others are thinking about this issue & making their own personal changes ❤️
Yes agree we don’t need to bash each other. I prefer the discussions here at SMF over FB because the tenor is more cooperative and helpful. And agree - all the packaging for supplies is frustrating. Our town’s transfer station recycles some plastic (#1 and #2 but not wide mouth containers) so I can recycle olive oil bottles at least. The coconut oil jars I buy are not recyclable, but I do repurpose them. Bubble wrap is piled up in my attic staring me down.
I started this discussion to have a conversation - I definitely don’t have all the answers and it’s helpful to me to hear about other soapmakers’ packaging approaches and their opinions.

Last edited:
If cut to 8.5 x 11 do you think the tracing paper would print?
Success! I used the draft option on my inkjet printer, but forgot to test for smearing until about 5 minutes later. There was no smearing at that point.

IMG_0285.jpegIMG_0286.jpegIMG_0287.jpeg
I have started getting in touch with companies & letting them know that glass is always preferable over plastic whenever possible & to NOT triple wrap my orders in layers of bubblewrap & other
This sounds like a great way to use the order comment box!

Bubble wrap is piled up in my attic staring me down.

I found a local senior who has become a friend & who is a master doll maker. She does struggle dependent on how her small business is doing - her income very much depends on whether or not she is able to sell dolls on a month to month basis, inconsistent income. She is always needing to buy bubble wrap to pack & ship her dolls overseas, which gets expensive for her as she's unable to buy in bulk. When I heard this, the massive pile of bubble wrap which I could not bring myself to trash found a new purpose. I told her it would be a good idea to make that a part of her marketing - stating that she does her best to lessen environmental impact via whatever means she wishes to state.

For me as a customer, this is very important. I let sellers know that I am overjoyed when I receive a responsibly packed order, every time. They need to hear it so that when they are discussing whether or not to switch to cheaper plastic options, they think twice knowing that this is a selling point with their customers. It doesn't take much effort or time to shoot off quick notes like this to suppliers & is very much worth that small amount of effort. Just a simple 'thank you for minimizing plastic packaging & lessening negative environmental impact'. Corporations we buy from need to hear this too.

No, my 'solution' with bubble wrap is not the ideal solution, but it is a step in the right direction. The wrap gets reused by someone who I know doesn't over package, and helps this lady conserve some of her income for other more important personal uses. She includes a note in her shipments thanking her own customers to reuse what they are able to or to pass packaging on to someone who needs it.

I started this discussion to have a conversation - I definitely don’t have all the answers and it’s helpful to me to hear about other soapmakers’ packaging approaches and their opinions.

That's a great thing, and something I very much appreciate myself. I wasn't targeting you at all, just remembering some conversations I've read on the forums :)

I have been doing some research on vellum which has not had plasticizers etc added to them. Searching for 100% cellulose-based vellum, I found this company which makes 100% cotton vellum of various types, including vellum specifically made for printing. Their products come in both packages of sheets & rolls, offering some flexibility.

https://www.clearprintpaperco.com/bond-paper
Thought you & others might be interested. I'm going to continue researching & will share other links to companies who offer better options which soap makers / other makers feel more comfortable with.

I will be buying some vellum myself as it's a material I used to use for many purposes many years back. I also loved using textured linen papers for various marketing materials at that time. This thread reminded me that I really loved working with those types of papers, and likely will again, so thank you for bringing it up :)

Another company which makes vellum that they claim is 100% cellulose.

https://www.cardstock-warehouse.com/products/vellum-translucent-natural-48-lb-180-gsm
Quote from this specific page on their website: '.....we love that this paper is made from natural cellulose fibers (plants) and without chemical additives!'

This is their marketing speak, so not necessarily 100% truthful....but it may be. If me, I would email them & ask about how their paper is made / what's in the paper besides cellulose. I'm sure something is being used as a binder, as in so many types of paper-making.

Another company which makes vellum that they claim is 100% cellulose.

https://www.cardstock-warehouse.com/products/vellum-translucent-natural-48-lb-180-gsm
Quote from this specific page on their website: '.....we love that this paper is made from natural cellulose fibers (plants) and without chemical additives!'

This is their marketing speak, so not necessarily 100% truthful....but it may be. If me, I would email them & ask about how their paper is made / what's in the paper besides cellulose. I'm sure something is being used as a binder, as in so many types of paper-making.
I saw that, and saw it on other companies’ websites as well. I wonder though if all vellum isn’t made the same way, that “plasticizing” refers to the process that the vellum undergoes to make the fibers pliable and has nothing to do with petroleum based plastic. I think they are pointing the finger at other companies to imply that other companies use plastic. Which sort of bugs me tbh. But I’d be grateful if you shared what you find out.

I haven’t had much time for reading deeply this week, but I did catch what seems like relevant info in the process description section on the vellum/tracing paper wiki page. The sulfite process destroys the lignin, leaving only the cellulose. The lack of lignin partly accounts for the transparency of the paper as does the multistage rolling/pressing that aligns and smooths the cellulose (or something like that). I read somewhere else that vellum and tracing paper are not as environmentally friendly as kraft paper due to the extra processing steps, However, if the process is as described, these papers should be readily biodegradable, I guess it’s time to go bury some in the compost pile!

If you can find the name of the mill that makes the paper you are interested in, you can most likely find out exactly what the paper consists of, from fiber content to recycled content, and finish. It won't take long to find the maker's website once you have the name. Or if you're in a stationers shop, the label on a ream will tell you the manufacturer and a lot about the content.

If you can find the name of the mill that makes the paper you are interested in, you can most likely find out exactly what the paper consists of, from fiber content to recycled content, and finish. It won't take long to find the maker's website once you have the name. Or if you're in a stationers shop, the label on a ream will tell you the manufacturer and a lot about the content.
Thanks for the idea. I put my glasses on and was able to read the fine print on the Canson tracing paper cover. It's produced in the US by Dixon Ticonderoga, with materials from the UK. It looks like Dixon was bought by an Italian Company, FILA, which also bought Canson (formerly a French company). Canson has a very long history of making high quality paper for artists and provides public information on sustainability, here. The only relevant information I found so far for Dixon Ticonderoga is this sustainability policy statement.

You might also be able to get more info from Dick Blick art supplies, or Daniel Smith, if you can't get contact info for Canson. Or any high quality art materials supplier.

I don't remember vellum being coated or treated with anything but art school was a long time ago.

I haven’t had much time for reading deeply this week, but I did catch what seems like relevant info in the process description section on the vellum/tracing paper wiki page. The sulfite process destroys the lignin, leaving only the cellulose. The lack of lignin partly accounts for the transparency of the paper as does the multistage rolling/pressing that aligns and smooths the cellulose (or something like that). I read somewhere else that vellum and tracing paper are not as environmentally friendly as kraft paper due to the extra processing steps, However, if the process is as described, these papers should be readily biodegradable, I guess it’s time to go bury some in the compost pile!
Great idea - the infestation of jumping worms in my compost pile should gobble it right up (sigh… 🙄)

Well… I tried printing on the 25 lb lightweight vellum but my laser jet no likey. It seemed to catch around the gears and made a horrible grinding noise. I disentangled it and then tried again (because I am a risk taker, apparently). The second time, it went through but grumpily, and the label came out wrinkled and unusable. I think if I taped a sheet of the tracing paper to a piece of paper it would work, but that would be tedious, I can only print two at a time. (i might do it anyway just to see…)

Latest posts

Back