HP Swirls?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tespring

Reaction score
If you do hot process, how do you do swirls? I have tried a few times but my HP is very thick when I pour it and it kinda looks like globs instead of swirls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TYIA

You have to do sort of a folding of colors in the pot. I separate my batter and color each then glop the colored soap back in the pot and sort of fold it like you would cake batter. Then just mold as usual.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Wow, that is some gorgeous soap. The only way I've swirled HP is by swirling in the pot.

Nancy,

That looks fabulous!

tespring,

I read a discussion where someone said she used sugar and sodium lactate in HP. It made the soap a little more fluid. However, since I've read that I haven't done an HP batch so I can't verify this from personal experience.

I did use sugar and sodium lactate in a CP batch and it was very fluid for a long time. I kept wondering when it would start to trace. I also thought if I had known it would have been this fluid, I would have set out some micas to swirl the batch. But I had wanted this particular batch uncolored.

Nancy those look great!! And so smooth, my only attempt at hp was anything but smooth. :)

Thanks for all the information, I will try the Sodium Lactate. Those are beautiful soaps, I will try the cake batter and see if that works better.

Thanks so much! I did use Sodium Lactate and sugar. Those additions do make the batter smoother. Also, don't do any water discount.

NancyRogers said:
Thanks so much! I did use Sodium Lactate and sugar. Those additions do make the batter smoother. Also, don't do any water discount.
where do you get Sodium Lactate .. and what are ratios for that and sugar .. Thanks

I do put sugar in every batch I make. I use it at 1 TBSP ppo. For the Sodium Lactate, use it at 1-3%. I think I got my SL at WSP but I'm not sure...

Hazel said:
NancyRogers said:

Nancy,

Do you use 38% water to oils?

Yes, I do. Sometimes a touch over, but just because I get heavy handed and don't feel like pouring any out. :wink:

I learned a cool way to do swirling in HP by a fellow-soaper named MsBrenda. If you click on the below link and scroll down a bit to the 11th post, you'll see a pic of how she does it. That's how I color all my HP batches now. I love it because the soap stays in the pot where it keeps warm and fluid as you color and swirl with different colors, which eliminates the annoying, potential problem of the soap batter hardening up too much if removed out of the warm pot to in order to mix with different colors in separate containers.

Here's the link:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... t=tutorial

IrishLass :)

Oh that is great, thank you IrishLass! Such a wonderful easy way to do it. Thanks to Brenda too if she is out there!

Swirling HP is such fun!
I use SL at 2% and do ITP swirls just as you would CP, except that you have to work a wee bit faster.
Here an example of what my HP ITP swirled soap looks like.
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18099
I used a tutorial by KB Shimmer for the ITP swirling technique that Lyn mentioned in one of her posts. If you're interested just google it and you'll find KB S's video tutorial.
Tell us how yours came out :)
GL and have fun!

mariflo said:
Swirling HP is such fun!
I use SL at 2% and do ITP swirls just as you would CP, except that you have to work a wee bit faster.
Here an example of what my HP ITP swirled soap looks like.
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18099
I used a tutorial by KB Shimmer for the ITP swirling technique that Lyn mentioned in one of her posts. If you're interested just google it and you'll find KB S's video tutorial.
Tell us how yours came out :)
GL and have fun!

Both of those soaps are amazing.

Hey MAri- do you have any brittleness with SL at 2%? I have been wondering what would happen if I upped my percentage but then again- I do use sugar as well.

Back