Help Me PLEASE!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shika B

Reaction score
Hellooo my fellow soapers, I'm new to the group. I have a few questions. I've been through about 7-9 soap recipes until i found the right one that I liked, With that being said, I started out with the HP method, Now I really want to try CP... When I measure out all of my oils, ect... DO I NEED to adjust my oils, lye, liquid? Orr can I just go ahead and do the CP method? IF that makes sense to anyone out there..... PLEASE Help! Dont get me wrong, I love a good HP soap and I HAVE mastered a swirl, I would really like to be able to use multiple colors and actually have nicer swilrs. Anywho, TIA.

It depends. What’s your current lye to water ratio for hp? What oils are you currently using and at what percentage? Even how old your oils are will affect your time to trace.

It's pretty much exactly the same recipe but you won't need as much water. In the soap calculator, change the setting from the default 'water as a percent of oils' to 'lye concentration' and make it 33%. And then you're ready to go!
O Goodness! I Mainly Just Use The Brambleberry Website For The Lye Calculator And I Just Go From There.

It depends. What’s your current lye to water ratio for hp? What oils are you currently using and at what percentage? Even how old your oils are will affect your time to trace.
I'm Not Even Sure The Ratio. The Oils That Im Currently Using, Coconut, Avocado, Olive And Canola Oil. And Their Not Too Old, I Do Keep Them In A Dark Place Though.

You can use the same water amount as the BB lye calculator tells you if you like, to begin with. I think it defaults to something close to a 30% lye concentration. But to get the 33% lye concentration that @KiwiMoose recommended (and that I and a lot of others often use), just take the lye amount the calculator gives you and use double that amount for the water (or whatever liquid). For instance, if the calculator says 125 grams of lye, then use 250 grams of water. It's actually a lye concentration of 33.3333...%, but that's fine. The water amount is flexible, and you may eventually need more or less water, depending on your design and additives. Good luck with your experiments! 🍀

You can use the same water amount as the BB lye calculator tells you if you like, to begin with. I think it defaults to something close to a 30% lye concentration. But to get the 33% lye concentration that @KiwiMoose recommended (and that I and a lot of others often use), just take the lye amount the calculator gives you and use double that amount for the water (or whatever liquid). For instance, if the calculator says 125 grams of lye, then use 250 grams of water. It's actually a lye concentration of 33.3333...%, but that's fine. The water amount is flexible, and you may eventually need more or less water, depending on your design and additives. Good luck with your experiments! 🍀
… or as Kiwi suggested, change the setting in the BB soap calculator from “water as percentage of oils” to “lye concentration.” Then set it at 33%.

That way, your recipe printout is correct as-is. 😉

… or as Kiwi suggested, change the setting in the BB soap calculator from “water as percentage of oils” to “lye concentration.” Then set it at 33%.

That way, your recipe printout is correct as-is. 😉
Oh how strange, I didn't realize that the forum automatically linked to the Soapmaking Friend calculator when I typed "BB lye calculator" — I wasn't intending to add a link at all! And I see that it happened to the OP as well. My response was meant for @Shika B 's use of the Bramble Berry calculator, which is greatly simplified for beginners and doesn't give an option for changing the way the water amount is calculated. Thanks, and sorry I didn't notice that automatic linking before!

Latest posts

Back