First Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieb

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been a lurker for the past few weeks but made my first batch Saturday night. I made a 3.5lb batch that went into two Crafters Choice 1501 silicone molds.

After 24 hours I removed one of the loafs and while it was soft I was able to get it out without any major issues. When slicing off a couple of bars it left drag marks in the soap from being so soft so I waited until tonight to slice any more. The color did not drag but the soap itself was sticking to the cutter from being soft and left a soap smear down the bar.

While they are still soft my concern is the sides. I know the top looks kind of messed up since I put saran wrap over the it before wrapping them in towels to make sure they went through gel phase. The sides are kind of textured and look a bit like the top even though they were in a silicone mold.

I would say they were poured at a medium to thick trace. I was doing an in pot swirl and hoped for more white than green but it started to thicken up when adding the green to pot. I have removed the second loaf from the mold but I am going to wait a day or two more before slicing it up as it still feels soft. The sides on the second loaf look the same as the first. Does anyone know what might be the cause of the sides looking the way they do?

I am wondering if the high amount of CO and PO could be the cause due them being solid oils?

My recipe was:

Avocado Oil: 225g
Castor Oil: 58g
Coconut Oil: 396g
Olive Oil: 686g
Palm Oil: 225g

Water: 605g
NaOH: 218 g

Green Colorant: CC Matte Woodland Green Pigment Powder
White Colorant: CC Matte White Pigment Powder

I did not measure the fragrance oil but used a 2oz bottle of Coconut Lime Verbena from WSP which ends up being .57 oz ppo.

Superfat was 7%.

Any comments, ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Jamie

FB_FRONT.jpg

FB_SIDE.jpg

I am no expert, still new to soap making myself... I did a quick peek into your recipe and it's quite heavy on the soft oils, as well as water (roughly 3:1). I think if you wait a day or 2 you'll be fine, luv the swirls btw, such a nice color :)

Your 1st batch is waaaaaayyy better than mine :D

Your recipe looks good and your soap turned out fantastic for your first try, Congratulations!!! You do have quite a bit of soft oils so it may just take a bit longer before cutting them. I have a tendency to do the same thing even 3 years later. Usually I'll just give them a quick polish and they are good as new.

Beautiful soap, well done:) I don't use silicone loaf molds but I remember reading about how sometimes during gel, the silicone can cause air bubbles to form on the sides making that texture you are seeing.
If it really bothers you, you can get a soap planer and shave it off but I wouldn't bother. After a couple washes, it will be gone anyways.

Your swirls are so pretty! Congrats on a very successful first batch! I use a high percentage of olive oil in my soaps, so I know the stickiness you mentioned when slicing. It took me a while to learn to be patient and wait longer than the 24-48 hours most people recommend before cutting.

Thanks for all the great comments. I did find that it cut better after a few days. It's been two weeks now since it was made and I cut a bar in half a couple of days ago and the cut was much smoother.

It's still a little soft but I did use a 38% water ratio since it was my first batch. It will cure in time though.

Thank You,

Jamie

Back