Zinc oxide and kaolin clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was wondering if I could use both zinc oxide and kaolin clay in the same recipe. If so when , how and how much of each can I add to make CP soap

Yes you can, it's no different than mixing Titanium Dioxide or Pigments or Micas. Though you can add any colorant in dry, I find when it comes to 'powdered' colorants, I have found it's best to disperse them in a bit or oil or water. I use Kaolin Clay as a standard part of my recipe, 1 tea PPO (per pound of oils) dispersed in a tab of distilled water. Same with TD...which, because I use it quite often, I keep a bottle of it handy. How much I use of it at any time is dependent on the look I am going for. I've never used Zinc Oxide myself, but I would imagine that you would disperse it like TD...1 tea ZO to one tab of distilled water.

I have almost as much of a hard time with kaolin clay as i do td. I watched a video that said to mix your kaolin clay with your fo 24 hrs prior to soaping with i to make a slurry. Ummmm nurture soaps i think. Anybody else do this?

I have almost as much of a hard time with kaolin clay as i do td. I watched a video that said to mix your kaolin clay with your fo 24 hrs prior to soaping with i to make a slurry. Ummmm nurture soaps i think. Anybody else do this?

I just mix my Kaolin Clay in some distilled water and then use a mini mixer (aka milk frother) to make sure it is is well mixed and then give it another blitz before pouring in to my oils/butters. I then use my Stick Blender to incorporate it into my oils/butters before adding in my Lye Solution.

There are several reference around the internet as well as here on SMF about using zinc oxide to color soap.

The difference in the white you get was noted as, TD produces a more opaque white than ZnO. It would be fun to try each in different portions of the same soap to compare.

Bramble Berry recommends mixing Zinc Oxide at "1 teaspoon with 1 tablespoon of lightweight oil." OR if made into an alcohol based pigment, "add 1 tsp. of dispersed pigment at a time." Here is how to make the dispersed pigment per BB's description on this page: "1 teaspoon mix 1 teaspoon with 1 tablespoon of 99 percent isopropyl alcohol."

This discussion reminds me of the "kaolin creme" thing that went around various soaping circles a few years ago. It was kaolin and titanium dioxide, not zinc oxide, but the way the two were combined was interesting. Kaolin Creme Soap

Last edited:
I use just zinc oxide and i get pretty white soap
The bottom of this soap is HP and the frosting is cp. I used ZO for both. I tend to use 2 tsp ppo warlock.jpg

There are several reference around the internet as well as here on SMF about using zinc oxide to color soap.

The difference in the white you get was noted as, TD produces a more opaque white than ZnO. It would be fun to try each in different portions of the same soap to compare.

Bramble Berry recommends mixing Zinc Oxide at "1 teaspoon with 1 tablespoon of lightweight oil." OR if made into an alcohol based pigment, "add 1 tsp. of dispersed pigment at a time." Here is how to make the dispersed pigment per BB's description on this page: "1 teaspoon mix 1 teaspoon with 1 tablespoon of 99 percent isopropyl alcohol."
Soaping 101 has a video comparing to, zinc ox, white mica effect on discoloring fo in soap.

Yes, that is a beautiful white. I wonder what your oils are. Am planning to reduce my olive to almost nothing in hopes of a whiter base. Will up the ZO also. Thx

Are you using EV olive? If so, try switching to plain olive. It should produce a whiter soap.

I like safflower or sunflower, both make a really nice white bar.

Back