Newbie question on these soap ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSudsInTown

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I wanted to pick your brain a bit on a couple of soap ingredients from these two online companies for their Aloe soap product.

Company #1: Saponified Oils of (Olive, Sustainable Palm, Coconut), Shea Butter, Natural Fragrance, Aloe Vera, Kaolin Clay, Sea Salt, Colorant

Company #2: Saponified Oils of (Olive, Sustainable Palm, Coconut, Castor) Organic Shea Butter, Mango Butter, Organic Aloe Vera, Natural Fragrance, Green Clover Extract, Kaolin Clay, Sea Salt, Mica.

What is your opinion on the ingredients to these 2 soaps?
How do they compare with each other?
Do you see anything in these that you would change to make it better?

Thanks a lot!

Hey y'all, I wanted to pick your brain a bit on a couple of soap ingredients from these two online companies for their Aloe soap product.

Company #1: Saponified Oils of (Olive, Sustainable Palm, Coconut), Shea Butter, Natural Fragrance, Aloe Vera, Kaolin Clay, Sea Salt, Colorant

Company #2: Saponified Oils of (Olive, Sustainable Palm, Coconut, Castor) Organic Shea Butter, Mango Butter, Organic Aloe Vera, Natural Fragrance, Green Clover Extract, Kaolin Clay, Sea Salt, Mica.

Do you see anything in these that you would change to make it better?

Thanks a lot!

Yes, I definitely do see things I would change for the sake of clarity, honesty & transparency.

The term 'NATURAL FRAGRANCE' can mean anything, and is often used inappropriately & as double speak. This tells me the maker is trying to hide something. Why is that?

Replace 'NATURAL FRAGRANCE' with exactly the ingredients being used to obtain the fragrance in said product.

In addition the term 'COLORANT' can mean anything, including chemical colorants, melted down crayons, candle colorants, god knows what. The fact that the maker chooses this term again tells me the maker is trying to hide something. Why?

Specify exactly what the colorants used are.

Lastly, the term 'ORGANIC'. Organic according to whom? Is this an ingredient which has been certified 'organic' by an official organization? In some countries, companies are not permitted to state this on their label as once they open the packaging of the raw ingredient, it is no longer considered to be certified 'organic'.

These are one of those products which I would personally never buy because the maker is not being 100% up front about the raw ingredients they used in their product. This is exactly what corporations do to obscure the truth as to the ingredients they use in their products.

The way I see it, we are in the position to change this for the better, rather than continuing to perpetuate the dishonesty & white / green / vegan washing which we have been watching corporate entities taking part in for generations.

Market demand drives change, everywhere. Personally, I wish to see REAL change, not more double speak & half truths. Especially not from independent makers who I feel should know better & many of whom got into soap making because the hidden ingredients in products such as mass-manufactured soaps & other personal care products were causing them allergic reactions, illness, serious debility.

Above all else, be up front with customers / potential customers reading your label. That builds trust & brand loyalty. It also contributes to changing what we have been observing corporations do for far too long.

Nice! Similar to many popular soaps you find for sale on line.
Hard to say without actually trying them.
Company #1: Dr. Squatch?
Company #2: Dr. Squatch dupe with just enough difference to make it their own.

Note: Olive Oil, Palm Oil and Coconut Oil form the basis of quite a few popular soaps sold online. I run into that combo all the time. I made something similar last year for my DIL's father. Nice soap but I have other soaps I make that are formulated for Denver's dry climate and for sensitive skin that I like better.

Good advice! :thumbs:

If you've never made soap before, this thread will start you off on a solid foundation:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/beginners-learn-to-soap-online.64426/#post-657018

Last edited:
Nice! Similar to many popular soaps you find for sale on line.

Hard to say without actually trying them.
Company #1: Dr. Squatch?
Company #2: Dr. Squatch dupe with just enough difference to make it their own.

Yes correct! First one is Dr. Squatch and second one is Sudsy Bears. Right now there's a ton of people moving from Dr. Squatch over to Sudsy because they are saying the scents are stronger, last longer, and quality is just better.

So I wanted to see what y'all thought in terms of the ingredients how theirs is better. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Latest posts

Back