Advancing a little

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have made a few batches but not much since I’m the only one that uses these soaps in my house. This is my 5th batch and biggest one I’ve made. I substituted Palm Oil to Coconut Oil and Sunflower Oil to Hemp Oil. And I used twice as much Kaolin White Clay. Everything else is the same same. I did use a little color to make it a little more fun. I set this up on the soap calculator and it shows that it is not so hood soap but on my calculator it shows that it is good soap. Is it too harsh to use? I was able to cut it after about 30 hours.
IMG_5625.png

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    832.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5579.png
    IMG_5579.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5594.jpeg
    IMG_5594.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5593.jpeg
    IMG_5593.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
To be honest, the cleansing value of that soap would be way too high for my sensitive skin, and would make me peel. I keep my cleansing value (lauric + myristic) at 12 or below - often substantially below. That means limiting palm kernel oil (not palm oil) and coconut oil to less than 20% combined. The soap calc will tell you that's bad, but it isn't - not at all. Soap will clean you just fine even if it has a zero cleansing value.

I'm curious; you said you replaced the coconut oil with palm oil. Those two are not an even swap at all. Did you mean palm kernel oil? If so, good job, those are interchangeable. :)

To be honest, the cleansing value of that soap would be way too high for my sensitive skin, and would make me peel. I keep my cleansing value (lauric + myristic) at 12 or below - often substantially below. That means limiting palm kernel oil (not palm oil) and coconut oil to less than 20% combined. The soap calc will tell you that's bad, but it isn't - not at all. Soap will clean you just fine even if it has a zero cleansing value.

I'm curious; you said you replaced the coconut oil with palm oil. Those two are not an even swap at all. Did you mean palm kernel oil? If so, good job, those are interchangeable. :)
Ok, that’s one thing that I’ve been seeing quite a bit with the calculator telling me things are not right and this one it said it was. I replaced palm oil with coconut oil. I also used palm kernel oil. I must of misread about the interchangeability between Palm oil and Coconut Oil. I’ll be making another batch since the cleansing value is so high. I do have sensitive skin and have been making Zany’s Palm soap and have been trying tweaking to more if my liking.

Oh no, so you used both coconut oil and palm kernel oil in this recipe? That will be SUPER cleansing/ drying for your skin. :(

Although they have different melting temps, CO and PKO are pretty much an even swap as far as soap qualities go. Both create lots of bubbles and will also raise the "cleansing" value. Remember that the "cleansing" value in the calculator doesn't exactly relate to whether the soap cleans you; it refers to how much oil will be stripped off your skin. Even if the cleansing value is 0, the soap will still clean you from normal, daily activities. It may not clean you from something like heavy motor oil; for special things like that, you would want a higher cleansing soap.

Palm oil is much more similar to lard when you look at the soap calculator. I wouldn't say they are interchangeable, since in soap palm oil doesn't doesn't feel at all like lard to me. But palm is definitely not anything like CO as far as soap qualities.

Whenever you make any changes to the oils in your recipe, you must put the new recipe through the lye calculator. Palm oil doesn't have the same SAP value as coconut oil, meaning that it requires a different amount of lye to make it into soap. Your recipe is going to have a significantly higher super fat because coconut oil requires more lye than palm oil.

Latest posts

Back