Zany’s No Slime Olive Castile Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alsobia

Reaction score
I did this soap yesterday and it has been in Pringle can for 15 hours. I took it out and it doesn’t feel soft…when I cut a slice off it looks like it is soft as it smeared (not sure that is the right term)

Any ideas? Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• FC9554BE-B7A9-4AD5-A972-F5E671A5289E.jpeg
    FC9554BE-B7A9-4AD5-A972-F5E671A5289E.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 31
I would have left it in the mold for a full 24hrs. I know the salt should make it harder but it is still mostly soft oil in the recipe. Next time leave it in the mold much longer.

When I made ZNSC, it took mine at least 24 hours, maybe a little more before I could unmold and cut it. I've also noticed that any soaps I make in Pringles cans take a little longer to firm up.

I just realized it has been 27 hours…10:00 am yesterday to 1:00 pm today. The loaf itself is hard enough to cut and when I press on the centre seems okay…I just checked the other Pringle can that had less soap in it and there is a bit of liquid on the bottom. I put them into pvc and will leave them a couple more days

Ok this has been haunting me so i tried spraying the straight edge cutter with a bit of oil spray and basically the same result.

I also have a crinkle cutter and here r the results.

Dull blade I am thinking?

Attachments

• 9EFBB06D-9301-4E9F-93C9-C59FC3EABF8E.jpeg
    9EFBB06D-9301-4E9F-93C9-C59FC3EABF8E.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 32
For your straight edge cutter, try heating it first by running under very hot tap water & then dry it off and cut immediately. Do the same between cuts.

The crinkle cutter cut does look much better, so I'm wondering what is your straight cutter? Is it like a pastry cutter or an actual knife?

It is a regular pastry type cutter I believe. I have used it before to cut soap and it has never done that before

Thank you so much Earlene! That is very kind of you to say so. I have a lot of learning to do but I do enjoy it in spite of my mistakes :)

there is a bit of liquid on the bottom
😲
Is it colourless/clear and does it dissolve in water? Then the liquid is “only” lye (caution!), and your emulsion was not stable all through the whole batch. Not good but not the end of the world (just a few % unplanned superfat).
BUT if it's oil, then it means that you have lost some of the batch oils to unstable emulsion, and your soap might be lye-heavy. Handle it with caution (of course you already do, be it only for its fragility/softness). Give it a week or two, and then conduct a zap test to know if/when it is safe to use.

Back