Castile soap mistake.... Advice needed!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talc

Reaction score
Made a small batch of castile soap for the first-time. Used the faux sea water recipe, 0% super fat and everything went well. Took a while but finally got it to trace. Poured into the mold covered and walked away. Couple hours later I realized I had a dyslexic moment and reversed the oil weight. I calculated 23 oz of olive oil but used 32oz

I hate to have to throw out the whole batch. What are my options if any fellow soapmakers? Thank you!

Last edited:
I think your post got overlooked, but here's a belated answer:

You used 9 ounces more olive oil than you intended. So calculate a recipe to make a batch based on that 9 ounces of olive oil. That is the extra NaOH you need to add to the as-made batch to correct it.

Make a lye solution using that extra NaOH as you normally would make any lye solution.

Grate and rebatch the soap, adding this lye solution to the soap when it's softened and stirrable. Basically you're going to treat the rebatch similar to a hot process soap.

I think your post got overlooked, but here's a belated answer:

You used 9 ounces more olive oil than you intended. So calculate a recipe to make a batch based on that 9 ounces of olive oil. That is the extra NaOH you need to add to the as-made batch to correct it.

Make a lye solution using that extra NaOH as you normally would make any lye solution.

Grate and rebatch the soap, adding this lye solution to the soap when it's softened and stirrable. Basically you're going to treat the rebatch similar to a hot process soap.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back