YouTube videos can be helpful

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rune, I agree that they could edit out some of the scraping if it goes on too long, but if the soapers are like me, I scrape as much as possible to make clean up easier. I also enjoy watching the videos that are non chatty and shorter. They seem to highlight the parts I like more - mixing colors, pouring, swirl or other technique and the cut. I find myself usually skipping ahead in the videos that are 30 minutes long. I'm not too much into piping, so I tend to watch a bit to see what they are doing and then skip over that too.

oops! I'm guilty of not showing the cuts in the "made" video - mostly because I haven't figured out the editing portion. That is my goal though to put the making and cut videos in one video. I made three videos for my soap challenge soap that I am waiting to post until I can sit down and check out the editor that Earlene recommended in the What Soapy Thing have you done today thread. There's a lot yet to learn about videos and YouTube in general (I need to look into how to get that little info tag on the video), so I'm not bothered when I find a user who only has a few videos posted, but when it's someone who's been doing videos for a long time...ugh! I don't mind chatter depending on the soaper - like Royalty Soaps, I enjoy her chatter (I find her bubbly personality delightful).

Videos that I avoid watching are people who don't wear gloves (I don't care how experienced you are, wear the dang gloves.) and people who don't share what they are using for colorants and fragrances. My exception to the last rule is only Ophelia Soapery, because I love watching her stunning soaps and her videos are short (typically under 10 minutes).

@amd, can I have the address to your Youtube channel? I have several soapers on my Youtube list, but many of them have stopped making videos, so I would love to have someone else to watch, and hopefully learn from. Not that I remember what I should have been learning, since I do so many mistakes :mad: But I like watching soapmaking videos.

If someone knows of some other men that makes soap, and also have a Youtube channel, I would love to hear about it. I feel there are too many females and too few men. Not that sex does matter, but I would love some more men on my subscription list. Those I have now are Vibrant Soap, Kevin Devine, Malcolm Manners, Soapy Oaks Farm, Uncle Jon's, The orgelmeister aka the soap man, Sergio Masala and Savonne (but he doesn't make any more videos, it seems).

I would also love to know about soapmakers from Australia on Youtube. I have just a few on my list. But I like the Aussies, and most important, they most often use fragrances from the same company as mine (from Eroma), so I can see if the fragrances accellerates or not and such things.

By the way, my new Australian favorite youtuber is Wicked Lee Goods, if someone wants to know and wants to check her out. I really, really like her. She doesn't have the most breathtaking designs and such, but I think she is very coool.

And I have rediscovered Vibrant Soap. The last few days I have spent hours on his channel. I get soooo inspired from him. So much that I actually bought a pocket color wheel from Ebayo_O

Rune, you are off to a good start on your hunt for soapmakers on YouTube! As soon as you said "male soapers" I thought of Clyde, but you've got him! He is great to watch, I appreciate that he takes the time to explain why colors work, like his gold crum video (I think that's what it was called). I will have to check out some of the others on your list now too. I think Hippie Mumma is Australian based. Her earlier videos were better (I thought) because there was no talking, but now she chats a bit and you can hear a tv/radio in the background and her dogs, lol. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq9sWrvkCeyhj7F6qnce8GA

Mods: if posting my YouTube link isn't allowed, please remove from post.
Here is my channel. (or more accurately, a video on my channel, but it will take you there!) Like I've said, these videos aren't the greatest thing ever and I have a lot of work to do to improve. I'm going to be working on camera angle and editing first. I'm still not comfortable talking - alot of 'uh, um', awkward pauses and misspeaks (or just flat out forgetting what I'm saying) - so maybe part of editing will be to edit out some of the talking, haha! At least until I stop sounding like a moron...

I've been enjoying the discussion (that has gone off topic from the 'seized soap' ... oops) about what people do and don't like in videos.

Thank you! :)

Don't mind poor editing and not perfect videos (but I guess they are all fine as they are, I have not seen them yet). Almost nobody have perfect videos anyway. So that is nothing to worry about. I tried video editing once, and gave up quite fast.

I like Hippie Mumma, I have her on my subscribtion list too. I will see if I can find the gold crum video from Clyde.

@amd You should be proud of yourself, because that is a great video! I really liked it a lot:thumbs:

Back