YouTube videos can be helpful

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose Wrangler

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a swirl technique to try and I've been checking out YouTube videos. I came across this one today which is a good PSA to make sure you know what you're putting in your recipe.

"Do not let perfection get in the way."

Classic seize! lol I've had that happen to me a few times. They were just begging for trouble by using a mix of different floral FOs from the craft store which are meant for MP.

The best way to handle a seize like that is to scoop the hardened mass into a pot and do an emergency HP. If they would have done that, their soap would have been more fluid for easier coloring and molding.

With all that leakage present at unmolding time, I would definitely have been wearing gloves while cutting for sure.

IrishLass :)

Classic seize! lol I've had that happen to me a few times. They were just begging for trouble by using a mix of different floral FOs from the craft store which are meant for MP.

The best way to handle a seize like that is to scoop the hardened mass into a pot and do an emergency HP. If they would have done that, their soap would have been more fluid for easier coloring and molding.

With all that leakage present at unmolding time, I would definitely have been wearing gloves while cutting for sure.

IrishLass :)
For sure! I go straight for the crockpot when that happens to me!

Yikes, why did they even try to color that mess? When I get seize, I just wrap the bowl in a towel and let it gel. Once its hot and loose, you can quickly color and pour.

From the latest YouTube soap video I watched I learnt:
Wear a bra on camera
Don’t yell at the kids or dog
Settle the kids and dog before you start recording
Learn to edit your video or have a child/dog free house before you start
Clean up your workspace before you start recording
Practice your soap recipe before you record making it.

From the latest YouTube soap video I watched I learnt:
Wear a bra on camera
Don’t yell at the kids or dog
Settle the kids and dog before you start recording
Learn to edit your video or have a child/dog free house before you start
Clean up your workspace before you start recording
Practice your soap recipe before you record making it.

I just started making YouTube videos, so mine are pretty raw. I decided to jump in with what I have available to me, so I break a few of these rules myself (except the bra rule... nobody needs to see that on video!!), although my workspace is a mostly kid/cat free zone as long as I remember to shut the door. I know what I want to change and improve in and I will make those changes as I go along. (Editing, I'm looking at you. Better camera, you're not out of my line of sight either.) ... But there are a lot of soapmakers out there with a large following (at least larger than I ever hope to get) and I have to wonder WHY?? One soapmaker in particular is quite unorganized, she went off camera for 2 minutes because she had to print off her recipe! Even some of the well edited soapmaking videos I will still skip through the fast forward of stickblending, or watching them mix color in (unless it is a color I am interested in, in which case I do like to see how much is used and the color difference between powder and batter). PJ's list above though... pretty much spot on.

I like watching the stick blending part and the coloring. The stickblending was specially helpful before i made my first batch of soap because it gave me a clear idea on what to look for, the changes in the mixture and the consistency.

I like watching the stick blending part and the coloring. The stickblending was specially helpful before i made my first batch of soap because it gave me a clear idea on what to look for, the changes in the mixture and the consistency.
I bet we all have our favorite bits. I like the pouring and the cutting, but I skip over the measuring and the mixing.

Watching that video (I didn't have the audio on) was like watching a train wreck. I've never had a seize, fortunately. I commend them for trying to save it. At least they got some bars out of it. I would not have known what to do. I'll have to remember the quick HP as a save if I'm ever in that position.

I used to watch soap making videos from start to finish and listen to all the off-topic ramblings of the soapmakers who posted. OMG some of them were really out-there with their commentary! Not so much anymore. I like short, precise and to the point these days when it comes to soaping videos. If it's super long, I do a lot of fast forwarding until I see a bit that looks like it might be interesting. Perhaps I miss some important comment, but I hope the important stuff is re-iterated in the printed info below the video.

But when they leave out the cut, it is very annoying to me. Not to include the finished product really makes me feel like I just wasted a lot of time watching the how-to when I don't have a clue if the result was what was intended. Some soapers do the cut as a separate video, and I guess that's okay as long as they mention that and list that in the info with a link, but to just not mention it, not post one and end abruptly, that is annoying.

I find myself watching mostly the pour and then the cut portions. I saw a beautiful design that I hadn't previously seen and I was so excited to see how it looked when it was cut... There was no cut, not even a final picture of the bars! The video just ended when she was done pouring.

I'm going to try to duplicate it myself on an upcoming batch but it was a huge disappointment.

I used to watch soap making videos from start to finish and listen to all the off-topic ramblings of the soapmakers who posted. OMG some of them were really out-there with their commentary! Not so much anymore. I like short, precise and to the point these days when it comes to soaping videos. If it's super long, I do a lot of fast forwarding until I see a bit that looks like it might be interesting. Perhaps I miss some important comment, but I hope the important stuff is re-iterated in the printed info below the video.

But when they leave out the cut, it is very annoying to me. Not to include the finished product really makes me feel like I just wasted a lot of time watching the how-to when I don't have a clue if the result was what was intended. Some soapers do the cut as a separate video, and I guess that's okay as long as they mention that and list that in the info with a link, but to just not mention it, not post one and end abruptly, that is annoying.

I now fast forward right to the end to check if they show the cut before I start watching any video. If there is no cut I don’t bother watching. I find it so annoying.
It must be difficult to edit videos I guess or they forget to finish it.

PJ

I skip here and there in most videos because some are so long and drawn out.
BUT, I have to admit, I can sit and go from one video to another. The next thing I know I have been sitting there watching for a couple HOURS ! :eek:

I too hate it when there is no Cut to the soap they made. I will even look to see if they had another video of the cut parts to all their videos, but alas there never is.

The worst thing I know is to watch those soapmakers that scrapes the bowl, the stickblender and scrapes absolutely everything for hours and hours, until the very last drop. And they don't stop scraping their bowls and utensils even then. That is very, very annoying. It is just cheap oils and lye mixed together, nothing very precious, so no need to scrape everything like crazy, and definately no need to do so when making Youtube videos for others to see. Or at least edit the fanatic scraping away.

I don't like videos where nobody talks and there is standard Youtube music instead, those annoying soundtracks you have heard 3 million times before.

I do like to see a lot of different style of videos. But I hate very short ones. 30 second to 2 minutes, no, those I skip immediately. I know I can't learn anything in 30 seconds. I prefer videos from 10 to 30 minutes.

The worst thing I know is to watch those soapmakers that scrapes the bowl, the stickblender and scrapes absolutely everything for hours and hours, until the very last drop. And they don't stop scraping their bowls and utensils even then. That is very, very annoying. It is just cheap oils and lye mixed together, nothing very precious, so no need to scrape everything like crazy, and definately no need to do so when making Youtube videos for others to see. Or at least edit the fanatic scraping away.

I don't like videos where nobody talks and there is standard Youtube music instead, those annoying soundtracks you have heard 3 million times before.

I do like to see a lot of different style of videos. But I hate very short ones. 30 second to 2 minutes, no, those I skip immediately. I know I can't learn anything in 30 seconds. I prefer videos from 10 to 30 minutes.

Hahaha i hate the exact oposite. I can not stand someone that doesnt scrape their containers. I see them tap the spatula a couple of times and put it away while soap is still dripping and then they just kinda sorta scrape the container and here i am thinking “dude! There is still a bar of soap left on that bowl!!!” I haye waste, even on cheap oils and cheap lye.

I agree on the short videos. I dont even bother.

Latest posts

Back