Wrapping Soap for Donation - Suggestions Needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Reaction score
I have a lot of extra soap that I am going to be donating to a local homeless shelter. I contacted them and they said they do not need to be labeled, but they would prefer they be wrapped. I'm going to cut them into guest/hotel size bars. I'm looking for suggestions for a quick and easy way to wrap them. I make custom boxes for my regular soap, but need something simpler for the donated bars.

I may also print a small sticker with a general list of ingredients, but I don't know exactly what is in each since the majority are rebatched using shreds from a variety of bars. I appreciate any suggestions on either the wrapping or labeling. Thanks!

Glassine bags are pretty cheap if you have a restaurant supply place near you. Mine is called Restaurant Depot.

https://www.clearbags.com/stationer...MIwuiTlIGu5gIVDYiGCh2v7QE2EAAYAyAAEgJfD_D_BwE
Those are great, thanks! I'll have to see if there is a restaurant supply store nearby!

Taped up in a coffee filter would be a cheap handy option, or snack sized plastic baggie.
Thanks, my first thought was actually coffee filters so great suggestion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless you. As a longtime social services provider, we are always desperate for toiletries. And what a treat for the shelter's clients to get something homemade!
I see you're in Minnesota. I'm in Alabama, but I'm wondering if you have suggestions on who to call to make this offer? My local food bank won't call or email me back.

I see you're in Minnesota. I'm in Alabama, but I'm wondering if you have suggestions on who to call to make this offer? My local food bank won't call or email me back.
Dixiedragon, what I would do is try dropping by and bringing some of your soap and chatting with the staff about your idea to donate.

I'm really not familiar with Alabama. But having lived in Illinois and now Minneapolis, my observation is that many nonprofits are understaffed and overworked. We love it when people just drop off donations. A 'food bank' is more like a wholesaler that supplies other direct-service agencies and usually have a lot of red tape, and they don't provide direct service to low-income folks. Instead, I would search for a soup kitchen, food pantry, or emergency homeless shelter and just drop off your donation.

I personally label all my soaps that I donate. Would hate for someone to have an allergic reaction to it. I shrink wrap band mine with a label.
Yes, I think I'm going to include some sort of label. I can't list exact ingredients since they are a mix of different batches, but since I use the same base recipe for all my bars, I think I'll do something like list my base oils and then include something that says, may also include fragrance, essential oils, micas, honey and clay. What do you think?

Bless you. As a longtime social services provider, we are always desperate for toiletries. And what a treat for the shelter's clients to get something homemade!
Thank you Zing! I've been wanting to donate for a while and have a contact at a local homeless shelter so I reached out to her and they've been very helpful. I hope my soap brings a little smile to those in need.

Dixiedragon, I found when I emailed to the general donations email, I didn't get a reply, and only when I emailed someone that I knew worked there, did I get a response. I agree with Zing, they are most likely understaffed and very busy, especially this time of year. I hope you are able to find a place to donate your soaps. Have you tried local food pantries? Or maybe a family in need? I know my church does an angel tree this time of year, where they hang tags that include information for families/people in need and items they are looking for, many of which usually include personal care items. Good luck!

I have a lot of extra soap that I am going to be donating to a local homeless shelter. I contacted them and they said they do not need to be labeled, but they would prefer they be wrapped. I'm going to cut them into guest/hotel size bars. I'm looking for suggestions for a quick and easy way to wrap them. I make custom boxes for my regular soap, but need something simpler for the donated bars.

I may also print a small sticker with a general list of ingredients, but I don't know exactly what is in each since the majority are rebatched using shreds from a variety of bars. I appreciate any suggestions on either the wrapping or labeling. Thanks!
I have started doing donations too. I get the 18 packs of washcloths at Walmart (wash them first) and pack a washcloth and soap into a ziplock.
I did 72 last month and just washed 72 washcloths for this month. I ran out of CP so I started making guest size MP. Our local shelter does outreach and also has a family residence so I did some holiday soap that is getting dropped off this weekend.

Back