Help with labels for multiple scents...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 60597

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I make body scrubs and would like to design some labels, most likely in Canva. The problem I'm having is that I have ten scents, which is fine for designing but it's the printing that will be astronomical even at minimum quantitiy to have so many versions of a label for just one product. So, I was kicking around just having one basic scrub label and then adding a smaller label like maybe a tamper evident seal or something to show what the scent is. The same will be happening on my body wash bottle. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I'm hoping these will be carried in some local shops and they will have bar codes on them so I'm not sure if I will need to design a completely separate label for each scent still? I'm so overwhelmed with this part of making. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Here's what I do - it's not perfect.
I have my scrub labels printed on 5x2 vinyl by PrintRunner (these fit on a standard wall 8oz jar). On my label is a blank space that will fit a clear 1.75x0.5 label (Online Labels OL25). I print the scent name as "Vanilla Scented" or "Ocean Scented" (for example) on the clear labels and apply to the blank space.

Here's an example of one of my labels. Sorry for the black boxes, due to forum rules, I don't want to share anything that may be considered as promoting my business, so I censored the areas that have my biz name, etc. The quality of the snip isn't great either, it is legible in real life, I promise! The clear label goes in the empty space between "Foaming Sugar Scrub" and "Cleanse Smooth Revive".

1709840928932.png

The only downfall is that I cannot get the clear labels to print and be waterproof - so the first time someone uses it, the label washes off. I've tried weather proof labels, different types of printers... it's somewhat successful if I don't use clear - but that was a headache for designing my labels that I don't have time for - but even on a white paper type label the print blurred (but didn't wash off completely). I made the decision to use clear. On that note, if you plan to wholesale to shops, I would double check that whatever you do complies with country/region laws and/or regulations. I think my clear label washing off is likely a violation.

I'd like to make a suggestion to anyone creating labels - Avoid all caps ; it's difficult to read. People read by the shape of the words; when text is in all caps, there is no recognizable shape to the words, making it more difficult.

I work in a print shop and this is something we see a lot with self-created labels.

@Shoogiegirl, check out Online Labels for labels that might work for you. If you purchase through them, you can use their Maestro software to design your labels. You can print them at home. I print mine here at work but if I had a home printer, I'd print them at home.

@Shoogiegirl, check out Online Labels for labels that might work for you. If you purchase through them, you can use their Maestro software to design your labels. You can print them at home. I print mine here at work but if I had a home printer, I'd print them at home.
I do the same - use Online Labels. Design them and print at home. The beauty of these is that you do not have to print a solid page of one label. You can print each label individually. Like most computer programs you can copy and paste, so that you would only need to change the fragrance on each new scent. Additionally they carry waterproof labels, so the print doesn't smudge or wash off when exposed to water.

If you design a label that's compatible with Avery labels, there is an option you can print a certain quantity per page. Like on a sheet of 24 labels, you can split those 24 between different designs. It's quite a nice feature. Avery and Online Labels will print labels for you also.

I print my own labels at home on an HP Color Laserjet 255 with Online Label sheets. The weatherproof polyester is thin enough to put a clear laminate over the top and make it durable for water and oils not to rub the toner off.

Sticker Mule does short run printing. Sometimes I want to see a sticker I've designed and will only order 10 at a time for cheap! They also do lots of promotions. You may also want to see if there are any local printers to do that would do a cheaper short run of printing.

If you design a label that's compatible with Avery labels, there is an option you can print a certain quantity per page. Like on a sheet of 24 labels, you can split those 24 between different designs. It's quite a nice feature. Avery and Online Labels will print labels for you also.

I print my own labels at home on an HP Color Laserjet 255 with Online Label sheets. The weatherproof polyester is thin enough to put a clear laminate over the top and make it durable for water and oils not to rub the toner off.

Sticker Mule does short run printing. Sometimes I want to see a sticker I've designed and will only order 10 at a time for cheap! They also do lots of promotions. You may also want to see if there are any local printers to do that would do a cheaper short run of printing.
Oh yes, I love that Avery feature for only printing the specific labels I need from a sheet. It's a fantastic way to conserve labels, and my sanity. :)

Latest posts

Back