wine soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padamae

Reaction score
I have not been around much lately still making soap though. I have spent a day today catching up making soap my wine soap sepwrqted on me. Looking kind of ricey so guess I am hot processing that one. It was the first time I time using my 50/50 pre made lye solution. Maybe that is what happened.

I don't have any idea what causes ricing. I've read it could be because of too high of a temp or FOs added in after the lye causes the oils around it to heat rapidly and saponify ahead of the rest of the oils. Generally, ricing is blamed on fragrance oils. Did you scent it? I've never had any ricing in wine batches but I've had FOs which caused ricing in other batches. Another possibility is there was too much alcohol in the wine. I also don't use 50/50 lye solution because I don't make enough batches for it to be worthwhile to make it ahead. You might have to be a little patient before someone who uses 50/50 lye solution sees your post and is able to give you an answer.

I hope you can save the batch.

I am hoping by changing to hot process I will fix it. I searched for Irish lass calculations and it was good I think it is the eo blend from cambin gray I used the wine to lower back to the 33% any time before I used full wine. And never had an issue. I just made a 50/ 50 solution 8.5 oz. Just to test how to use the premixed lye solution before I maded a lot. I am doing it to save time I work 80 hours a week so what ever short cuts I can learn is best.

Wow! 80 hours a week! When do you sleep? I'm sorry you have to work so much because it sure doesn't leave you time to relax or enjoy your family.

Do you know what EOs were in your blend? It could have been the alcohol in the wine that caused the ricing. Did you boil the wine first? I like to reduce it by half and add it at trace, subtracting that amount from total liquids. I've only had Geranium EO give me any trouble with anything like ricing.

I boiled it weeks ago then made sure it was cold I used 4 oz of lye solution and 6 of wine but I didn't add at trace. I need to look on the website to get the EOS that is in the blend. I think that was the issue looks like changing to hot process saved it.

I'm glad you were able to save it. I remember reading a post where someone talked about issues with a few EOs accelerating in CP so perhaps it was something in the blend. (I'm fairly sure clove and cinnamon was mentioned in the post.) Sometimes there is so many variables in a batch, it's difficult to say what caused a problem. What EO blend did you use?

Latest posts

Back