Fragrance oils & discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaSoaper

Reaction score
Hi again,

I have used the same fragrance oils from the same business for the last three years. I’ve never had a problem with discoloration (unless it was a known discolored like vanilla.)

I’ve recently changed the way that I’m soaping. I’ve switched to using a 50/50 solution as Im getting into larger batch sizes. All of a sudden, fragrances I’ve never had an issue with are discoloring oddly. One that is known to turn tan is discoloring to a bright yellow. Another that’s never discolored has turned a light tan only on the tops of the soaps. Although it’s a black raspberry vanilla, there is NO vanilla in it at all and is not supposed to discolor.

I’ve been trying to soap around 100. I have the same recipe I’ve always used. The only change is the use of a premade lye solution. I’ve read that when you add the fragrance oil (after light trace in my case) could be a factor. Another thought was when I added the additional liquid to the batter (in the oils before the lye solution) could be morphing the fragrance. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Photo below is how the soaps used to turn out prior to 50/50. The soap next to it you can see how it’s oddly discolored and certainly isn’t tan.

Attachments

• E5434815-077D-4F16-9FBA-F0AF4AE13B83.jpeg
    E5434815-077D-4F16-9FBA-F0AF4AE13B83.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 0
Did your soaps go through gel phase before? And are they going through gel phase now?
Or do you know if the fragrances were reformulated recently in compliance to latest IFRA guidance?

Did your soaps go through gel phase before? And are they going through gel phase now?
Or do you know if the fragrances were reformulated recently in compliance to latest IFRA guidance?
That may just be it! Gel phase. Since it’s gotten a bit colder out, I did cover the soaps with a lid and a blanket. I didn’t cover with a blanket before. As far as a reformulation, no it is the same as always. Thank you for replying :)

Latest posts

Back