Will this recipe work? Please help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1huskermom

Reaction score
I am wondering if this recipe will work.

Olive Oil 30 oz
Apricot Kernal Oil 8 oz
Coconut Oil 6.3 oz
Castor Oil 3.7 oz
Shea Butter (unrefined) 4.3 oz

Almond Milk 8.5 oz
Oatmeal 4 Tbsp

Lye 7.34 oz
Water 17.12 oz minimum

I made up this recipe using a recipe calculator, but I am wondering if I will need that much water, as I am using 8.5 oz of almond milk.

Any suggestions on this recipe? Will it work, or is there anything I should do to improve it?

Thanks!

Running those numbers through SoapCalc I come up with a 52.3 ounce batch. The lye and water I get are way different, though, even a 0% superfat (which I wouldn't do) is only calling for 7.355 ounces of lye.

A batch made with full water and a 5% SF comes out like this for me:

Olive 30 oz (57.36%)
Apricot 8 oz (15.29%)
Coconut 6.3 oz (12.04%)
Castor 3.7 oz (7.07%)
Shea 4.3 oz (8.22%)

Water 19.874 ounces / 563.4 grams
Lye 6.987 ounces / 198.07 grams

You wouldn't add your almond milk on top of the water, you'd use it as part of your water, so you'd use 8.5 oz of almond milk and 11.3oz of water.

It works out to the following attribute numbers on SoapCalc:

Hardness: 23 (I'd toss that one right out the window, my 65% olive oil bars show as being horribly soft on SoapCalc but they're rock hard after a nice long cure. SoapCalc is definitely handy, but it isn't always 100% accurate on some stuff)

Cleansing: 8 (Again, the numbers aren't always dead on, soaps high in olive certainly do cleanse the skin, the numbers just don't reflect that)

Conditioning: 74 (Nice!)

Bubbly: 14 (on the low side, but that's because of the low % of "bubbly" oils like coconut, palm kernel, and castor. Nothing wrong with a low bubbly number if that's what you're happy with)

Creamy : 21 (that's fine)

If you wanted more bubbly lather you could increase the % of coconut or add some PKO (I like the two in almost equal amounts, as too much coconut leaves my skin dry and unhappy)

i would use more co, less apricot, too soft, have you played around with soap calc, it is not that hard. Are you going to start out as a big with such a big batch, ive made many batches and have never made such a big one, i usually do 30 oz of oil. I have many recipes if you want to pm me, are you doing hp or cp?

Latest posts

Back