Why does TD hate me???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to have a problem with TD crackling. However, I don't use it much. When I do use it, I set it in oil for an hour or two to hydrate its way into the clumps and I mix it with my minimixer about every 15 minutes. I get very few clumps/streaks with this. If yours is oil based TD, use oil. If its water based, use water.

I premix my TD in almond oil and I'm talking days in advance, at least. I use TD fairly often so I just premix a whole batch of it and keep it in a little squirt bottle ready for use. I shake it often in the beginning and don't use it until all the little grains are completely gone and the mixture is completely smooth.

Both my CPOP'ed and ungelled soaps look just fine. Nice and smooth and no TD spots and no crackles. TD spots have been my bane more than crackles, but now I don't have any of that, since I started premixing well in advance. I add my TD after emulsification and even though that means it gets minimally stickblended after that, it still hasn't given me any problems at all since I started premixing it that way.

I was having trouble with TD as well, and while researching it I found thread on here that said to completely mix 1/2c Olive Oil with 4 TBSP of TD. Mix well and allow it to sit. I tried that and my white soap comes out perfectly now. Now clumps or anything else. Every time I need some white, I just mix the TD/OO mixture up, use 1 tsp ppo, and there are no issues. HTH :)

As long as the soap doesn't zap it is safe to use.

I use water dispersible TD and I mix it with water before adding it to my soap so that it blends smoothly. If I want to lighten the entire batch I add it to the water before adding my lye and it works a dream. I give the lye water a stir before adding to my soap.

Lots of good tips and advice...I will try some of these ideas in the future (I suppose I won't completely swear off TD...yet!). It is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has wrestled with TD :)

I've mixed a big batch of td that I purchased from WSP in oil that I keep in the fridge. I mixed a couple of tablespoons per each 4 oz of oil so it's concentrated. It's there when I need it and all I have to do is let it get to room temp a little then shake it well before using. Since I started doing that a few months ago I've never had crackle (both gelled and ungelled). Maybe it's because its been mixed/saturated for so long. Maybe it's because of the brand. I don't have to use a lot because it's concentrated. Not sure which or all of these factors are key but it works for me.

Latest posts

Back