Why does TD hate me???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]I am very close to swearing off TD forever, because every time I use it, it does not like to cooperate. Recently, I made a pretty Valentines day soap...white with pink swirls. It is entirely possible that I went too heavy on the TD, and now the corners and edges of my bars are pretty crumbly (in the photo, you might be able to see a crumbly spot just below the heart embed too...I'm wondering if the heart embed had anything to do with this location?).[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]My recipe was my usual recipe, full water, nothing new or unusual. No zap. Is TD the likely culprit, and if so, are the bars otherwise fine to use? It's really a bummer because the soap turned out very pretty.[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI] [/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI] [/FONT]

heart soap.jpg

So pretty! I've had the same sort of thing happen with TD. I call TD something else using those initials but I couldn't possibly post what that is here. :silent: Trying to behave.

How much did you use? 1 tsp ppo is plenty. If you used a LOT it could contribute crumbling but other things can do that too.

Very cute soaps! I can't help with TD as well as I've given up on it. I've tried every advice I was able to find but always end up with a crackle effect which I hate. If I want white color I put more CM in the recipe or soap with FO that I know for sure want discolour. And even if it does I am happy with light tan colour instead of crackles.

I don't think I exceeded 1 tsp ppo, but I have been known to go overboard with the TD when I am not getting the white I am looking for. It's been a few weeks so I can't say for sure (shame on me for not keeping better notes...lesson learned!). Given that everything else about my recipe was the same as I always use, I am suspecting the TD. Any reason not to use the soap?

Very cute soaps! I can't help with TD as well as I've given up on it. I've tried every advice I was able to find but always end up with a crackle effect which I hate. If I want white color I put more CM in the recipe or soap with FO that I know for sure want discolour. And even if it does I am happy with light tan colour instead of crackles.

Yep, crackling is what I usually get with TD (and sometimes with oxides in general...I've got the glycerin river blues). Even when I am very careful about amount and gelling temps, I don't seem to have good luck. Hoping I eventually get better :)

I think TD is an equal opportunity soap crackler. It's almost like you have to control gel so it's hot enough to go to gel but not too much more, which is extremely difficult to gauge. If you can prevent gel and are okay with not gelling, TD is not much of a problem, but otherwise, join the club of fist-shakers and swearers.

Now I'm wondering what Derpina is saying. TD TD TD, what curses has she come up with?

I add my TD to the lye water and mix until its really dispersed in there. Since I've started doing this and watching my temperature I haven't had a problem. .. Then, this last time I totally forgot to add it to the lye water and added it to the soap batter and got some crackle! I'm wondering what anyone else's experience with adding it to the lye mixture has been.

I add my TD to the lye water and mix until its really dispersed in there. Since I've started doing this and watching my temperature I haven't had a problem. .. Then, this last time I totally forgot to add it to the lye water and added it to the soap batter and got some crackle! I'm wondering what anyone else's experience with adding it to the lye mixture has been.

Hmmm...that is interesting. Do you add it after the lye water has cooled a bit, or while it's still warm? I know some people also add TD to their oils...but what if you don't want the whole batch white?

I premix my TD (oil dispersible) in some oil and give it a shake once in a while. Then I add that mixture to my soaping oils until I get the desired shade and then add my lye water. Usually this works, and usually I gel, but I don't go for blindingly white soap either. If I wanted a truly white soap I would try to avoid gel.

Your soap looks very pretty to me.

I premix my TD (oil dispersible) in some oil and give it a shake once in a while. Then I add that mixture to my soaping oils until I get the desired shade and then add my lye water. Usually this works, and usually I gel, but I don't go for blindingly white soap either. If I wanted a truly white soap I would try to avoid gel.

Your soap looks very pretty to me.

Thank you. Do you add TD to your oils even if you are splitting the batch and adding color to part...or only when you want to lighten the whole batch? I'm assuming my crumbly-edge soap is still okay to use?

I add it while it's still warm. And I agree with the others that your soap is gorgeous! I don't see the crumbly-ness at all :)

I've given up on TD. When I want white, I use BB's Super Pearly White mica. It has a little sparkle, but it's not glittery, and I don't use much. I don't have any troubles at all with it.

I sometimes use Super Pearly White Mica in addition to TD, when I'm worried about using too much TD. Maybe I should just try that by itself and see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for the help and the compliments on the soap. It was fun to make with the little m&p heart embeds on top.

WSP has a "white pigment powder" that I've been using in place of TD. Seems to be working, even for gelled soaps. Have no idea what's it's made out of (I know, that's bad), but it's water dispersible and hasn't caused crackling yet.

I read somewhere to let the TD bloom in water for a while before mixing, AND when you're about to pour the soap, give it a mix so the TD doesn't settle. of course the overheating thing....

the last Christmas soap I made I used TD, and had my TD&water mixture sit on the counter for a while, then mixed it in, and I didn't notice any crackling in that batch. maybe try that next time?

btw, your soap looks gorgeous!

Latest posts

Back