Who made the first soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donee'

Reaction score
My mind is wandering and I was thinking about how the first soap was made and how soap was discovered.

First I was thinking of the cavemen but then I realised that they didnt bath very much did they so I am imagining all different types of scenarios of how the first soap was "invented"

Was it a coloniser? Was it an adventurer? Was it a tribal person who accidentally dropped a piece of fat into a fire and then found a muddy congealed puddle when they were clearing out the ashes and thought "mmmmm i think i shall go down to the river and see what happens when i combine this with water".

Any other ideas, stories or ramblings.

There are so many awesome writers on this forum that it would be fun to think up different scenarios of "who made and used the first soap"

I do know that there are "soap leaves" from a bush (or tree) that was used to clean - but lets see who can come up with the most humerous (and possibly accurate) version.

My brain on a sunday morning is not very well occupied by any thoughts that actually make sense.

hahahha
love the internet

here it is

http://www.soaphistory.net/soap-history/who-invented-soap/

Direct copy and paste

During the early century of the Common Era, although the Romans are well known for their public baths, generally soap was not used for personal cleaning; it was used by physicians in the treatment of disease. Soap for personal cleaning and hygiene became popular during the later centuries of the Roman era.

Just saying...............................

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you read the Earth Children series by Jean Auel? At book 2 i think there is a talk about soap and soap making and by book 4, the author goes in to the details about when people were still on the prehistoric era could have come up with soap making. Probably not how it actually happen but the autor gives her take on how it could have happen. Granted with tons of imagination, but hey, they are fiction books about the life of prehistoric humans. I red those books as a kid and now i can say thay those books kinda sparked my interest in soap making.

Don't recall where I read it or from whom, but the story I heard was that when the fat and ashes from animal sacrifices mixed and ran downhill to where women were washing things in the river, they noticed that this 'material' improved the washing and made it easier to get things clean.

Have you read the Earth Children series by Jean Auel? At book 2 i think there is a talk about soap and soap making and by book 4, the author goes in to the details about when people were still on the prehistoric era could have come up with soap making. Probably not how it actually happen but the autor gives her take on how it could have happen. Granted with tons of imagination, but hey, they are fiction books about the life of prehistoric humans. I red those books as a kid and now i can say thay those books kinda sparked my interest in soap making.

I loved those books!

Don't recall where I read it or from whom, but the story I heard was that when the fat and ashes from animal sacrifices mixed and ran downhill to where women were washing things in the river, they noticed that this 'material' improved the washing and made it easier to get things clean.

This is pretty much what I remember reading about it too. Maybe it was from the books above :D

I loved those books!

This is pretty much what I remember reading about it too. Maybe it was from the books above :D

Right? I grew up with those books!
And the first part of the soap story from the books is like that, they were cooking something over a hole, enter torrential rain, she comes back to save her spoon, spoons falls in to the hole filled with liquid and soap, she washes the spoon and notices its squeeky clean so she comes back to save the soap. After that she starts experimenting with soap making and comes up with a way to do it. Now her cave is super squeeky clean.

Back