Soap Making Therapeutic Value?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRose

Reaction score
Hello,
Just started making soap a few months ago. I was always weirdly fascinated by bar soap. Then one day, through happenstance, came across a how-to book on homemade soap, and .... BOOM!!! YES!!!! It was like learning how to make the most amazing chocolate cake ever, when your favorite thing to eat is chocolate cake!!! Somehow, it had never actually occurred to me to make my own soap! Learning this craft has added such a wonderful new dimension to my life: a sense of efficacy, self-sufficiency, self-direction. It was the first hobby I developed that was entirely my own, not in any way related to any of the toxic people in my life. At the same time, it is something very practical and productive to do, (because, of course, who doesn't need soap???), so I never have to feel any guilt about wasting time on something unproductive, either. Anyway, on top of all that, I had a lot of difficulty with personal hygiene for a while thanks to depression. Knowing that I can look forward to using my own self-made, simple-ingredients, soothingly-scented soaps when I bathe has actually made me eager for a daily shower, something I used to dread.
Anyone else experience anything like this related to getting into soapmaking? Has it had any therapeutic value for you? Would love to hear your stories!!!

Last edited:
When I 1st started making soap on my own vs. a group setting, I noticed that I was nervous 😬. Once I realized that, I felt silly because even if soap making session doesn’t go according to plan, it’s still soap in the end. I love the whole process. So now, I turn on music 🎶 & simply enjoy the moment. Yes, therapeutic. 🧘‍♀️💕

Welcome.gif

I've always said, "I soap to keep me sane and because it's cheaper than therapy!" Like that Calgon Bath ad, it takes me away.

Back