White thin crust growing on week old soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serfmunke

Reaction score
Anyone know what it could be? Should I post a pic to better help diagnose?

A picture would help. Sometimes soap will develop a thin white film. This is called ash. If it is ash, this is harmless, I just wipe it off.

I am assuming it is ash but was uncertain. The bars are cut and there was no ash on the top prior to cutting it. Will ash form slowly over time after it is cut, as it is curing?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for any advice/help!

What should I wipe it off with? I think I have read rubbing alcohol, is that true?

You can wipe ash off with water. Give them a quick rinse under the sink or wipe them off with a damp cloth.
I've never seen ash form on the cut sides... just on the tops. You might tongue test it to be 100% sure. At least thats what I would do because I've never seen ash form on the cut sides. But I'm fairly new to soap making myself and might have just never seen any ash form there yet.

Tongue test then a wipe and we shall see what happens.

Thank you :D

serfmunke said:
Tongue test then a wipe and we shall see what happens.

Thank you :D

While it's remotely possible that it's lye, experience tells me it's ash.

I can deal with ash and will wipe tonight. I hope it all comes out OK. The bars are not the best looking but would hate to lose them all :cry:

Thanks, the brown spots are either lemon rind or sage, not sure. Kinda not what I was expecting but am actually growing fond of the look. :)

I cleaned up the soaps and they look much better. I also tried one out and everything worked out as it should. :D

Latest posts

Back