Questions regarding old oil properties

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmaker

Reaction score
Since I'm still a newbie in soapmaking with no big budget, I often use old oils to practice. After some practices, I began to notice the difference between old oils and "normal oils" (ones that haven't got past shelf life)
- old oil traces REALLY FAST, like under a minute or so that i only needed hand stir. Even when i made castile soap using old olive oil
- old oil makes a hard bar
- old oil lathers more than normal oil. i've made soap from waste cooking oil (palm oil) and it lathers and cleanses better than my other 100% coconut oil soap! I gave some to my friends (with warning not to use in skin and kitchen utensils) and they all rave how it really cleans cloth stain with handwashing.

Anyone with same experience as me? Any explanations how are these possible? Surprisingly i liked all my old oils soap, except the panic at quick trace. Haven't experienced DOS too so far.
Thank you!

I can't speak to your other points, but old oils trace so quickly because they have more free fatty acids than fresh oils.

Those who have used stearic acid to make shave soap have definitely experienced this dramatic phenomenon.

I can't speak to your other points, but old oils trace so quickly because they have more free fatty acids than fresh oils.

Those who have used stearic acid to make shave soap have definitely experienced this dramatic phenomenon
Thank you! Is there any way to somehow slow down trace to give one some time?

You could try using an FO or EO that decelerates. Most citrus EOs will do this.

Also, have the oil and lye solution at cool temps when you combine them, use more water (I.e., a lower lye concentration, maybe 30%) and use a whisk instead of a stick blender.

Latest posts

Back