White stuff on top?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaturallyYou

Reaction score
As a newbie, I dont know what the white stuff on the top of this soap could be. This was "too small" of a batch and I realize I could have probably messed up the ratio of lye/water/oils... But can anyone identify what it is so I know if it happens in the future? I do believe it happened after I took the soap out of the mold to cure; but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for viewing! You guys rock.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like ash. Nothing harmful. You can wash or steam it off. If you don't expose your soaps to air (meaning keep them covered, not vacuum-sealed) until they are done saponifying (don't zap anymore), you won't get ash. Sometimes it can add a nice effect though.

I usually get more ash when the humidity drops, which means all summer long in AZ! At times I notice it more with certain FO's too. Sometimes I scrub it off with pantyhose and a bit of water, sometimes not. Depends on my mood and the look of the soap. Either way, it's not harmful so no worries!

It is actually sodium carbonate (washing soda) formed when free sodium hydroxide (lye) mixes with carbon dioxide in the air. If you ever see crust formed on your lye solution it is also sodium carbonate. If I am wrong here someone please correct me

Ash happens to me often. Par for the course now! Sometimes it is unsightly and I remove it, but know it is not dangerous or something that can always be prevented. Ash happens!

Hi,

If you spritz rubbing alcohol/surgical spirits over the top of the soap before you cover it, that should stop the white powder appearing

Latest posts

Back