Whipped Body/Shea Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyW

Reaction score
http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... utter.html

14 oz Shea Butter
5 oz Coconut Oil
6 ml FO

I made this today (halved the batch), a couple days after getting a new tub of BBW body butter. This is SO MUCH NICER. I can't believe how easy and nice it is. My hands look so much younger, no flakiness or cracks (winter is not nice to my hands). And no greasiness after it soaks in. Best of all, no chemicals past the tiny bit of FO I used!

Has anyone else made this? Can I add other oils to improve it even more?

I have wanted to try this...can I ask a question? Or two?

Every tutorial I have found says whip the oils fir 1/2 hour. Do you melt the oils first ( maybe a dumb question) also what kind of coconut are you using? The only kind I can get is the solid kind...

Glad you like yours!!!

This one is insanely easy.

Measure the hard shea butter (don't melt). Measure the coconut oil (use the 76 degree, hard kind, not the liquid), and melt. Add the 2 together, with any EO/FO, and start mixing. I used my hand blender like if I was making whipped cream for pies (not stick blender). Took almost 10 minutes to get a really whipped creamy texture going. And it's done. She said it doesn't need preservatives because there's no water, and that it's good for 6 months to a year at room temps. I read almost every comment on her post, and she responds to them all. Very helpful!

I made a similar one and gave it to everyone with cracked dry skin. The results were amazing. You'll love this more and more as time goes by.

You can use any oil your lil heart desires for this!!! If you go to swifty's blog (I don't have the link here at work, but I know it's been posted here somewhere), she has alot of recipes for different types of whipped butters. Different oils, different butters, depending on what you are trying to achieve from your whipped butter! My son has these dry patchy spots, so I'm going to make one using Borage, Hemp, and Argan oil. Haven't ordered them since I"m waiting for my tax return, but can't WAIT to try it out!!!

darn...I am out of shea butter. I will re-order and make this next week.
Thanks for posting the link.

I liked this tute.
I made some a few weeks backs & it works a treat.
Reminds me of making whipped soap Nizzy style.
Just without the lye...of course.

I have shealoe butter on hand and I would like to use it up. Do you think I can use that instead of shea butter?

I want to try this tonight! Just one question, since you don't melt the shea butter before, does it end up feeling 'gritty'. I don't mind the grit because shea always makes for a wonderful, decadent moisturizer.....but some customers prefer a lotion without that grit. Just wondering how it turned out. :)

I'm going to make some for myself tonight anyway because it sounds wonderful----and so easy! :D

No preservative? Really? Even though it is not made with water, you are still dipping your hand in it on a regular basis, often after washing hands, which will introduce some water into the container. As well as microorganisms. I wouldn't keep it around for 6 months to a year after using it without some preservative. It seems icky to me.

I'm guessing you could add preservatives if you want. I don't know anything about them. If this starts smelling/feeling/looking funky, it'll get tossed. I'm not selling it and I like germs (within reason) so it's all good.

This isn't gritty at all. It feels something close to a cross between butter and whipped cream. I love it.

Jezzy said:
What about the water that is in the EO/FO?

essential OIL/fragrance OIL, i didnt think that they would have any water in them. since they are oils, wouldnt they have to have something to hold them together if there were water in your EO/FO?

I agree with Krissy.. I don't think there is any water in EO/FO. They are oils. And since this is an anhydrous mixture, you really don't need a preservative. You can add some Vitamin E as an antioxident, but a preservative isn't needed.

WONDERFUL!

I made some of this last night and it is WONDERFUL! I used a hand mixer for about 10 minutes and then poured it into containers. I do feel little bit of "grit" from the shea butter, but not enough to be a bother. I put it on when I got out of the shower this morning and my skin feels so great. I also love that it's only 3 ingredients....How easy is that?! :D

Thanks again for sharing the recipe with us! It's a keeper!

Ok... I tried to make it and when I was weighing out the shea I thought it was pretty gritty to begin with I whipped it anyway and the little grit balls didn't go away. I melted the oils and will try again. I used a little first though... I am impressed! I scented it with patchouli, cedar and spearmint... Smells awesome! :)

Jezzy....that's what happend with mine. I've never been able to get the "gritty" feeling out of shea butter unless I melt it down. However, I like the consistency a lot better when I don't melt it down and just blend it with a mixer....I'm trying to find a happy medium between the two. However, since shea butter is such a great skin moisturizer, I just think of those little bits as "moisture beads". :D You only feel them for a second and then they rub right in. If I decide to sell some of these, I'll just need to promote them that way. LOL.

I wonder if we're using different shea butter. I got the "natural" stuff from WSP. What are you guys using? I have absolutely no grit. Maybe beginner's luck :?

AmyW said:
I wonder if we're using different shea butter. I got the "natural" stuff from WSP. What are you guys using? I have absolutely no grit. Maybe beginner's luck :?

I usualy buy the refined shea butter from WSP and its like heaven...so smooth. I think it depends on the supplier, some have gritty shea butters.

Back