Kombo butter Body Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a 100 gram small batch using kombo butter. I found many recipes online but came up with my own recipe but used the most commonly used percentages.
38% hemp seed oil
25% kombo butter
25% mango butter
12% beeswax
1% vitamin E oil
1% cedarwood essential oil
The yield was two mini-jelly jars.

Hemp seed oil and kombo butter are supposedly helpful for joint and muscle pain. I currently have a painful case of 'smart phone thumb' in both hands. I did not notice any relief after using it. Mrs. Zing has lots more chronic aches and said she'd use if for many days to see if there was any change over time.

Mrs. Zing says it is incredibly moisturizing. It goes on pretty greasy and takes awhile to absorb. I knew it was going to be greasy which is why I chose to use mango butter instead of cocoa and shea butters. I like the consistency. It's fairly solid in the jar but easy enough to scoop out with your finger.

It is dark brown and was worried about staining my skin but it was a non-issue.

I like the nutty smell of kombo. It is definitely a distrinctive scent. Some compare it to 'fish guts' but I completely disagree with that description! I am not a fan of the hemp seed oil scent. In the finished product, I like the scent. Mrs. Zing does not like the scent.

I got some Kombo after seeing posts on it here. I have to agree with Mrs Zing, that's it's nasty smelling stuff!! The smell reminds me of a treacle-y marmite. It does contain Myristoleic acid, which is said to help arthritis.
Interesting article below.
https://www.newhope.com/trends/new-approaches-joint-health-and-arthritisGinger also contains this, I wonder if making a ginger powder infusion with the hemp seed oil would increase the benefits of your pain cream?
Since it's really moisturizing, that's a win even if it doesn't do much for your pain!
My sis-in-law swears by CBD cream for her arthritis.

Since I will probably never use it in a skin product, cause I can't get past the smell!!
I made some soap yesterday using the Kombo. Just subbed 10% of my Kokum butter and 10% of my Palm oil. I went a little too high on the tea tree e/o vs rosemary e/o, so it smells a little medicinal right now but it has a little bit of the earthy smell there still from the Kombo (but not the nasty Marmite smell, lol). Will see how it ages.
Also added charcoal and grey Kaolin to that part. I figured since it is a dark butter, it would be good in the charcoal portion of a soap.
And made it with 1/2 water, 1/2 aloe juice.
It seems to behave well in a soap..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.39.33 a.m..png
    Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.39.33 a.m..png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I got some Kombo after seeing posts on it here. I have to agree with Mrs Zing, that's it's nasty smelling stuff!! The smell reminds me of a treacle-y marmite. It does contain Myristoleic acid, which is said to help arthritis.
Interesting article below.
https://www.newhope.com/trends/new-approaches-joint-health-and-arthritisGinger also contains this, I wonder if making a ginger powder infusion with the hemp seed oil would increase the benefits of your pain cream?
Since it's really moisturizing, that's a win even if it doesn't do much for your pain!
My sis-in-law swears by CBD cream for her arthritis.

Since I will probably never use it in a skin product, cause I can't get past the smell!!
I made some soap yesterday using the Kombo. Just subbed 10% of my Kokum butter and 10% of my Palm oil. I went a little too high on the tea tree e/o vs rosemary e/o, so it smells a little medicinal right now but it has a little bit of the earthy smell there still from the Kombo (but not the nasty Marmite smell, lol). Will see how it ages.
Also added charcoal and grey Kaolin to that part. I figured since it is a dark butter, it would be good in the charcoal portion of a soap.
And made it with 1/2 water, 1/2 aloe juice.
It seems to behave well in a soap..
That is really some good-looking soap there! Yeah, scent is so idiosyncratic -- the kombo doesn't bother me, but get that hemp seed oil far away from me!

Thank you! Hopefully the black and white version with Rosemary/Him. Cedarwood and Spearmint/Peppermint will be better!

I haven't tried Hemp seed oil for many years ( I bought SO many oils when I started making!) but I remember it not having much of a smell. Are you sure yours isn't rancid? I know that it had to be kept refrigerated b/c it went off easily (it was even sold in the refrigerator section). I'm going to buy a tiny bottle today if they have it when I'm out and see if my memory is playing tricks.

I made a 100 gram small batch using kombo butter. I found many recipes online but came up with my own recipe but used the most commonly used percentages.
38% hemp seed oil
25% kombo butter
25% mango butter
12% beeswax
1% vitamin E oil
1% cedarwood essential oil
The yield was two mini-jelly jars.

Hemp seed oil and kombo butter are supposedly helpful for joint and muscle pain. I currently have a painful case of 'smart phone thumb' in both hands. I did not notice any relief after using it. Mrs. Zing has lots more chronic aches and said she'd use if for many days to see if there was any change over time.

Mrs. Zing says it is incredibly moisturizing. It goes on pretty greasy and takes awhile to absorb. I knew it was going to be greasy which is why I chose to use mango butter instead of cocoa and shea butters. I like the consistency. It's fairly solid in the jar but easy enough to scoop out with your finger.

It is dark brown and was worried about staining my skin but it was a non-issue.

I like the nutty smell of kombo. It is definitely a distrinctive scent. Some compare it to 'fish guts' but I completely disagree with that description! I am not a fan of the hemp seed oil scent. In the finished product, I like the scent. Mrs. Zing does not like the scent.
I know this is a really old post, but I just came upon it, since I'm on a lotion bar kick and am reading all the old threads. Re. hemp seed oil being helpful for joint and muscle pain, I don't know. There have been studies that have shown CBD and, possibly even more so, THC from cannabis helps with pain. There are actually cannabinoid receptors in the skin. Cannabis is legal in my state, New Mexico, so I've been infusing it into butters and oils to add to my lotion bars (which I find more generally useful than salves). On a hike in the mountains I came across a piñon tree leaking a lot of resin, so I collected that and am infusing it, too. Indigenous people found lots of medicinal uses for piñon resin and needles, too. Granted, I can't claim any medical benefits for products I sell. And, even though cannabis is legal here, there are lots of regulations to sell it. But these lotion bars make great gifts!

I know this is a really old post, but I just came upon it, since I'm on a lotion bar kick and am reading all the old threads. Re. hemp seed oil being helpful for joint and muscle pain, I don't know. There have been studies that have shown CBD and, possibly even more so, THC from cannabis helps with pain. There are actually cannabinoid receptors in the skin. Cannabis is legal in my state, New Mexico, so I've been infusing it into butters and oils to add to my lotion bars (which I find more generally useful than salves). On a hike in the mountains I came across a piñon tree leaking a lot of resin, so I collected that and am infusing it, too. Indigenous people found lots of medicinal uses for piñon resin and needles, too. Granted, I can't claim any medical benefits for products I sell. And, even though cannabis is legal here, there are lots of regulations to sell it. But these lotion bars make great gifts!
Wow, aren't you ambitious collecting resin and all! My wife and I did not find any noticeable pain relief from the hemp seed oil but maybe you'll have a different experience with your recipes. I do really like kokum butter. I am also partial to lotion bars and use 1/3 each of beeswax, a butter, and liquid oil. Lately I've been singing the praises of abyssinian oil. My fave butter is mango.

Back