Where to find high-temp HDPE? For master batching lye water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelbeep

Reaction score
I just read in Kenna Cole's (wonderful) ebook on master batching that HDPE is best for lye water because it holds up excellently. I also just checked an MSDS on lye and it confirms HDPE is best (for airtight storage).

Do you know of any high-temp-safe HDPE buckets? For purposes of mixing lye/water regularly, 2-3x a week, and possibly in higher concentrations for master batching?

I nearly ordered HDPE buckets on Uline for mixing lye water, but their HDPE's are certified up to 180 degrees.

Welcome, Rachel! :)

The only HDPE I'm familiar with is the kind rated at 180F. That's the kind I use for storing my master-batch 50% lye solution. To mix my 50% lye solution, I use PP#5 because it's alkali compatible and can withstand boiling water. Once my solution has cooled down from being mixed in my PP#5 pitcher, I transfer it to my HDPE for long-term storage. The HDPE container I use is actually a reclaimed laundry detergent bottle with a no-drip spout and tight lid.

Hopefully others will chime in on if they are familiar with the higher-heat kind.

IrishLass :)

I'm afraid that I also use the laundry liquid containers for storage, but stainless steel for the actual mixing due to the heat.

Next time I do it, or if someone else is doing it soon, can someone measure the temperature as mine got frighteningly hot and stayed so for a long time. How hot that actually was, I am not sure. But would be interesting to see

I found some #5 buckets with lids at Smart & Final. I use them for mixing my lye water but I don't masterbatch. They hold up beautifully when I mix in them.

Oh, this is great! Thanks for the leads. Stainless steel and PP#5 both sound like strong options. Thanks! Quite grateful :)

The only HDPE I'm familiar with is the kind rated at 180F. That's the kind I use for storing my master-batch 50% lye solution. To mix my 50% lye solution, I use PP#5 because it's alkali compatible and can withstand boiling water. Once my solution has cooled down from being mixed in my PP#5 pitcher, I transfer it to my HDPE for long-term storage. The HDPE container I use is actually a reclaimed laundry detergent bottle with a no-drip spout and tight lid.

Hopefully others will chime in on if they are familiar with the higher-heat kind.

IL, I have a detergent bottle that is almost empty and plan to use that for masterbatching. Do you just keep rinsing it until you no longer see any bubbles...is that good enough?

IL, I have a detergent bottle that is almost empty and plan to use that for masterbatching. Do you just keep rinsing it until you no longer see any bubbles...is that good enough?

Yes- that's exactly what I do. And as soon as I see no more bubbles, I give it one more rinse just for extra insurance. It works quite well for me. :thumbup:

Thanks IrishLass! I can't wait to use it, it will really cut down on the waiting around for lye water to cool. There is only a little detergent left so only a few more days before I can rinse it out...I think I may have some laundry that needs to be done...

Latest posts

Back