Where to find high-temp HDPE? For master batching lye water?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

rachelbeep

Reaction score
I just read in Kenna Cole's (wonderful) ebook on master batching that HDPE is best for lye water because it holds up excellently. I also just checked an MSDS on lye and it confirms HDPE is best (for airtight storage).

Do you know of any high-temp-safe HDPE buckets? For purposes of mixing lye/water regularly, 2-3x a week, and possibly in higher concentrations for master batching?

I nearly ordered HDPE buckets on Uline for mixing lye water, but their HDPE's are certified up to 180 degrees.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Rachel! :)

The only HDPE I'm familiar with is the kind rated at 180F. That's the kind I use for storing my master-batch 50% lye solution. To mix my 50% lye solution, I use PP#5 because it's alkali compatible and can withstand boiling water. Once my solution has cooled down from being mixed in my PP#5 pitcher, I transfer it to my HDPE for long-term storage. The HDPE container I use is actually a reclaimed laundry detergent bottle with a no-drip spout and tight lid.

Hopefully others will chime in on if they are familiar with the higher-heat kind.

IrishLass :)

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I also use the laundry liquid containers for storage, but stainless steel for the actual mixing due to the heat.

Next time I do it, or if someone else is doing it soon, can someone measure the temperature as mine got frighteningly hot and stayed so for a long time. How hot that actually was, I am not sure. But would be interesting to see

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I found some #5 buckets with lids at Smart & Final. I use them for mixing my lye water but I don't masterbatch. They hold up beautifully when I mix in them.

rachelbeep

Reaction score
Oh, this is great! Thanks for the leads. Stainless steel and PP#5 both sound like strong options. Thanks! Quite grateful :)

LittleCrazyWolf

Reaction score
The only HDPE I'm familiar with is the kind rated at 180F. That's the kind I use for storing my master-batch 50% lye solution. To mix my 50% lye solution, I use PP#5 because it's alkali compatible and can withstand boiling water. Once my solution has cooled down from being mixed in my PP#5 pitcher, I transfer it to my HDPE for long-term storage. The HDPE container I use is actually a reclaimed laundry detergent bottle with a no-drip spout and tight lid.

Hopefully others will chime in on if they are familiar with the higher-heat kind.

IL, I have a detergent bottle that is almost empty and plan to use that for masterbatching. Do you just keep rinsing it until you no longer see any bubbles...is that good enough?

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IL, I have a detergent bottle that is almost empty and plan to use that for masterbatching. Do you just keep rinsing it until you no longer see any bubbles...is that good enough?

Yes- that's exactly what I do. And as soon as I see no more bubbles, I give it one more rinse just for extra insurance. It works quite well for me. :thumbup:

LittleCrazyWolf

Reaction score
Thanks IrishLass! I can't wait to use it, it will really cut down on the waiting around for lye water to cool. There is only a little detergent left so only a few more days before I can rinse it out...I think I may have some laundry that needs to be done...

Latest posts