Safe Containers for Master-Batching Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use repurposed heavier duty hdpe gallon jugs. I made cap liners out of silicone sheet to replace the paper & plastic liner that was there. I make 2.7 kg at a time.
My process:
measure 1650 g water into my mixing container - I use a pitcher with a removable lid. It’s not the same as my dispensing container.
pour off a little water into a small container (about 100 g)
add 47 g sodium gluconate
add 33 g sorbitol
microwave 1 minute until dissolved (swish around)
pour back into mixing container
add 60 g sodium lactate
stir
don my ppe
add 924 g NaOH
stir
leave to cool
then - pour lye through a disposable paint strainer in a funnel into my lye dispensing container.
I know all the measurements by heart so the process is not difficult, but I remind myself to be methodical and go slowly. This is enough for 6 loaves of the size I use.
Hi, this is very helpful! Sometimes I read to use 1:1 for master batch, then add the rest of the liquid to the oils on the day of soap making. Yours is ready to use, including the sodium lactate, yes?

Hi, this is very helpful! Sometimes I read to use 1:1 for master batch, then add the rest of the liquid to the oils on the day of soap making. Yours is ready to use, including the sodium lactate, yes?
Yes many people like to do that - I have done it that way but I was having some trouble with solid lye precipitating out if my soap studio was cool. At least that’s what I think was happening. Making the amount I make works well for me. And yes it’s good to go.
Looking at the math it should total
1650+
33+
47+
60+
=2714
but it is always between 2697-2703 grams. I think a little bit is evaporating In the steam when I first mix. I know if I left it uncovered the weight would go up but I don’t.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back