Where can I get CP Vanilla Color Stabilizer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My recent batch of vanilla color stabilized soap was messed up because the person I bought it from did not specify it was made for melt and pour until I messaged them.

Now, I'm without a source of vanilla color stabilizer.

Any suggestions?

Brambleberry sells one, and the one from Bitter Creek North gets good reviews. But I'm not sure if they hold up past a few months, and some users report they make the soap smell sour or weird.

Keep in mind to ALWAYS specify that you are doing CP (or HP) vs M & P.

Brambleberry sells one, and the one from Bitter Creek North gets good reviews. But I'm not sure if they hold up past a few months, and some users report they make the soap smell sour or weird.

Keep in mind to ALWAYS specify that you are doing CP (or HP) vs M & P.
I did look at Brambleberry's, but it's specifically meant for melt and pour. I'll give BCN a try. O :

I don't mean to digress, but there seems to be a couple on Amazon. I wanted to explore this possibility until I found out what the stabilizers are made of. Ugh. I'm trying to stay natural, organic as possible and stabilizers don't do it. :)

True. I try to use vanilla that is as close to natural as possible. I am experimenting with natural vanilla options now. They all brown. Using stabilizers is not an option for me and have embraced the brown. Trying other options like Titanium Dioxide to help lessen the brown.

I highly recommend Bittercreek North. I’ve been using it for quite some time and it works great. I have soap 10 months old and still going. One had a really high vanilla content and it’s starting to change a bit. Fortunately I only have a couple bars left. I don’t think any of them will last for a really long time.

I agree with BCN - there is no equal to it. I have kept the browning way indefinitely on several of my high vanilla bars, and for up to at least a year on others that usually will start turning after day 1.
The only advice I would give with using it, is to make sure you gel your soap, and it will keep the discoloration away even longer.

What natural vanilla options are you experimenting with?

I've been experimenting all over the place since I took up soapmaking. I often try things that people 'seem' to avoid, so, wine soap using wine instead of wine colors and fragrances and earlier in the month, my own vanilla extract. I bought some Madagascaran Vanilla beans and followed some water-based and glycerin-based methods of extraction. It'll be a few more weeks/months before I'll be able to test them in soap, but I hope I can create something that will work for soap. Expensive, yes. But wholly natural, fun, and just another part of the process that keeps this whole journey interesting.

I too generally use 1:1 but I mix it with my FO before adding to my warmed oils, don't think it makes a difference though. With lower vanilla content FO's I have done .5:1 and it's worked fairly well.

wholesalesuppliesplus has a cp stabilizer, as well as one for lotions and one for MP. I've used the CP one in the past and found it worked fairly consistently. I typically use a 1:1 ratio mixed with FOs > 10% vanillin, mixed with FO.

I use a 1:1 (ish) ratio in every batch I make - regardless of vanilla content. It is just a part of my recipe, and the reason for this is I have my ingredients labels premade, and it is just easier than having several different types of labels depending on % and if it even has it in there.

I add it to my oils because the very few times I added it to my FO, it turned into a gel like funky consistency and was hard to incorporate.

Latest posts

Back