Testing ZCS (Homemade Vanilla Stabilizer)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So…yesterday I made a batch of Cocoa Butter Cashmere from Bescented. I absolutely adore this scent but it discolors to a very dark brown. It has an 11% vanillin content. The last time I made it I didn’t put any vanilla stabilizer in it. I left out the fragrance in the white portion and just let it do it’s thing. I really don’t like how dark it became though. So, this time I used the ZCS. I used the formula with just metabisulfite. Added equal amounts of FO and ZCS to the entire batch and then colored two portions of the batter with cocoa powder, one darker, one lighter. Then added TD to the main color to lighten it even more. Did a hanger swirl. Batter was a little thin so swirls aren’t great. Anyway, I’m excited to see how these look over time. I have a good feeling about this. I’ll document the progress here. First pic is of the soap without ZCS. This was taken a while ago and it is actually even darker now in the brown portion. Second is the new batch with ZCS.

Attachments

• 1742F168-859C-4F9E-B04E-982309438B30.jpeg
    1742F168-859C-4F9E-B04E-982309438B30.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DF8769E0-17DE-4EA3-B373-FAE8255383B8.jpeg
    DF8769E0-17DE-4EA3-B373-FAE8255383B8.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 0
That's quite a difference! And pretty soap too.

I've never used vanilla stabilizer and this is the first time I've seen what's in it.
Is it the same ingredient that causes allergic-type reactions in some folks when eating dried fruit that uses metabisulfite?

Ed.: Appears to be, if the chemical in this stabilizer is sodium metabisulfite, which is the product links here go to . People with sensitivity to sulphites or asthmatics can have reactions to products (including food, drugs and cosmetics ) containing it.

I'd want to put it on the label, if I used it.

Last edited:
UPDATE…
It‘s been 11 days since I made this soap using the ZCS homemade vanilla stabilizer. No darkening at all. There is a chalky coating/feeling to the bars that I’ve never experienced before, but I planed them and they feel normal now. I’ll see if it comes back. Very happy with these results so far!

Attachments

• 10B12D10-4B07-46DD-B47F-2F4DD2AB5085.jpeg
    10B12D10-4B07-46DD-B47F-2F4DD2AB5085.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
I've never used vanilla stabilizer and this is the first time I've seen what's in it.
We have two threads here on SMF re homemade vanilla stabilizer. One was the original thread with lots of questions and discussions, and the other is the recipe sticky, with options for two different ingredients.

I used ZCS with both ingredients included. Worked great in my cp soap but do you think is this safe for lotions or butters?

Back