Wheat Germ Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi

Reaction score
I have never used wheat germ oil before partially because of the cost and partly because i didnt have any interest. That may also be due to the prices I have seen. Well, I just found it for 40 dollars a gallon. So, now I am wondering what to do with all of it.

Anyone feel like sharing their favorite uses for it and how much you use?

I have to say I've not used it in soap for all the reasons you already pointed out. I do use it occasionally in lotions, creams and face serums...

ETA - I keep my percentage of oils low with this one, 5% of oil weight...

Good to know. Lindy, how long of a shelf like do you find it has in your lotions, etc? I have heard conflicting reports about that. Some say it dosent last in lotions, others say it absolutely does. It seems to be loaded with linoleic so i can see a short shelf life maybe but it also has a substantial amount of vit e. Im thinking it might make a nice ls for the same reasons.

Since you are using a preservative in your lotions I find it not to be an issue at all. Same with Hemp which has such a short shelf life but with a preservative it does last. To be safe I always put a 6 month after opening expiry date on them....

On all the comedogenic charts I've seen wheat germ oil always rates the highest. So if you are looking to make soaps and especially leave on body products with non clogging oils you may want to rethink the wheat germ oil.

Something else I was just thinking about. I have a friend who is Gluten Intolerant and she can't use products with wheat germ in it so you might need to put a warning on it too...

Last edited:
And there the hammer falls. Ixnay on the wheat germ oil. Oh well, it was a fun thought while it lasted, lol.

I use about 5% of wheatgerm oil in my soap. Reason being that I read around (but I do not remember where) that although wheatgerm has a short shelf life, but it actually prolong the expiry of CP soaps. I will try to find the information and put here.

Latest posts

Back