Blister-healing ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Wildcrafted" is actually a part of the lexicon of those (like you) who harvest plants from the wild. Perfectly acceptable, to my mind at least. šŸ„°

Wikipediaā€¦ Wildcrafting (also known as foraging) is the practice of harvesting plants from their natural, or 'wild' habitat, primarily for food or medicinal purposes. It applies to uncultivated plants wherever they may be found, and is not necessarily limited to wilderness areas.

Not to bash you @Zany_in_CO but wikipedia is one of the worst sources of information out there :)

Lexicons are full of all sorts of misleading, unhelpful terms which are often based in half-truths, double-speak & political correctness. Right up there with 'vegan leather' šŸ˜‚ Yeah, that's another one I take huge issue with, in case anyone didn't notice by now as I've mentioned it many, many times.

I stand my ground on this one & add another: the term WILDCRAFTING and VEGAN LEATHER both get on my $#@! šŸ˜

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I took up climbing, and needless to say our soft hands spoiled by months of handmade soap got blisters pretty quick. Itā€™s recommended to keep hands well-moisturized between climbing since itā€™s better for your (eventual) calluses, so I thought Iā€™d try to make a lotion bar just for that.

I recently tried @Zing ā€™s 2021 ā€œClamber Upā€ and while it definitely moisturizes, that much beeswax clings to my hands forever, and Iā€™d rather have something more fast-absorbing.

Then I went down a rabbit hole regarding the ā€œhealing propertiesā€ of wheat germ oil, and was wondering what other oils might speed up healing blisters and sooth sore skin?

I know that when selling itā€™s legally iffy territory to claim medicinal properties (rightly so), but for personal use, does anyone have experience with oils that REALLY help skin heal? And what quantities are needed to make a difference?

Thanks!
While I haven't tried these options myself, I have read in a couple of reliable blogs about blister healing oils. Sharing the same with you.
  1. Calendula Oil
  2. Lavender Essential Oil
  3. Jojoba Oil
  4. Arnica Oil

If you'd like something more fast-absorbing than the lotion bar you tried, you could consider reducing the amount of beeswax in your formulation. Less beeswax will result in a softer, more easily absorbed product.

I wanted to clarify here that THC & CBD are NOT terpenes.

https://cannacon.org/15-terpenes-cannabis-explained/
Image attached.

Yes, our brains do naturally have cannabinoid receptors. Topically applied cannabis does not affect the brain in the way that ingested or inhaled cannabis does. Not at all. The healing compounds of cannabis, when applied topically, go directly to the area applied to, the nerve endings, the muscles, the skin, the organs in the immediate vicinity of the application site etc via the capillaries. THC / CBD / CBN / CBG & all sorts of other extracted parts of cannabis are anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antibacterial etc etc etc. There is a great deal more to cannabis than just THC and CBD, and a great deal more to this plant than getting high.

As with all plant-derived healing compounds, cannabis compounds of all sorts function optimally & synergistically when combined with other plants. Which is one of the many reasons why researching plant medicine & traditional usage in depth & self-experimentation is very much a worthwhile pursuit.
Cool beans! You may have answered a question I had been researching but didn't didn't know how to roll it up in one handy dandy topic! Now I can narrow my research ~ thank you!

šŸ– As a woman of "a certain age" I'm running into that problem a lot these days. So few others out there that can relate. My going-away outfit (honeymoon) in November 1974 was influenced by Jackie, including matching black pillbox hat, leather purse, shoes, and gloves!!! Oh, those were the days, the likes of which will never be seen again.

ETA: Almost forgot -- Black & white (salt & pepper) wool suit with fur collar; black fur muff too.

View attachment 74365
I,too, am a woman of a ā€œcertain ageā€. Just remember this little fact - Everyone gets to be young. Not everyone gets to be old.
I heard that on a tv show the other day while I was soaping and it literally stopped me in my tracks. I am one of the lucky ones and will never again wish not to be (well, maybe sometimes when I have overdone it and everything hurts - but other than thatā€¦ ! ; ) I, too, loved Jackie Kennedy - ā€œCamelotā€ it was for sure!! I had a fox fur hat just like her winter hat (still have it actually but it has not gotten cold enough here in Missouri to wear it except maybe once or twice). That is back was ā€œclassā€ was in style!

Funny thing ~ I do love oils on my skin, especially after a shower. It feels like my skin just soaks in all the goodness. I gave my mom a bottle to try because she was curious and she didn't care for it, too oily for her liking. She asked if Icould make something she could just rub on and I had a flashback to years ago, when we went a crafter's market and bought some hard lotion in tubes. At the time, I didn't care for it but my mom did so I gave her mine and never gave it another thought . . . until now. So I made some mostly with her in mind. She loves it ~ it's easy to use, doesn't get her hands all greasy, and she can rub it on wherever she needs moisturizing. I do occasionally use some too, since the beeswax does lock in the moisture, so I rub on a little oil, then swipe a bit of the hard lotion and rub it in real good ~ it's a great combo! It's got me thinking if I should add a small amount of beeswax to my oil blend ~ will it do the same thing or will it gum up my oils? šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
I'm with @Shelley D. I like oils/butters on my dry, sensitive (and now aging) skin. I make thick, creamy body butters which I apply liberally after a shower and blot with a towel before dressing. I also use on my hands all day long. I LOVE IT. I slather on the butters and wear gloves during activities. My hands don't crack in the winter anymore. I haven't made lotion bars yet, but I'm not selling anyway, so it's on my list of things I'd like to try one of these days.

PS. Jackie O and Princess Di, you are my people! šŸ„°

While I haven't tried these options myself, I have read in a couple of reliable blogs about blister healing oils. Sharing the same with you.
  1. Calendula Oil
  2. Lavender Essential Oil
  3. Jojoba Oil
  4. Arnica Oil

If you'd like something more fast-absorbing than the lotion bar you tried, you could consider reducing the amount of beeswax in your formulation. Less beeswax will result in a softer, more easily absorbed product.

Absolutely NO to arnica. I have seen some insane advice given on blogs when it comes to using plant extracts, extracted oils, infused oils etc, things which are absolutely false, misleading, people who are simply repeating what they have heard elsewhere without doing the experimenting on themselves first.

If there is any break in the skin due to the blister, arnica will cause *very* intense pain. Something you will not forget. Never, ever use arnica on broken skin.

Many of the suitable, safe plants were mentioned earlier in this thread.

Latest posts

Back