linseed oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am interested in the linseed oil soap. When I added a little linseed oil to one soap, I got a soap that I really like. That's why I was looking for inspiration for linseed oil soaps. I was surprised to find almost nothing. I think it's because the linseed oil soap has a short shelf life? Is it a DOS problem?
I read that 2% linseed oil in soap is fine. Also, sodium citrate helps as a chelator. Good....
And then I found the soaps from the flax farm, they looked beautiful, so I looked at the composition:
linseed oil
water
coconut oil
glycerol

This means that there is a high percentage of linseed oil in this soap. How is it possible? Apparently this kind of soap works when they sell it? I would like to try it in a small dose. According to the composition of the soap, could the recipe look something like this?

1701689213278.png

is my reasoning correct? With the fact that I would add sodium citrate. Does anyone have experience with linseed oil soap?

I also found a registered patent for linseed oil soap, where linseed oil, palm oil and glycerol are added to the cold soap base.
This makes me think that this soap can be very good.

Last edited:
Sorry, I wrote it wrong. This is really sodium citrate, which is what I meant. Thanks for the correction and confirmation of the idea.

fixed in post

Last edited:
@Zany_in_CO Thanks so much for the thread alert. I did see it, but I didn't think to read it because it was about the warm process, but now I see that there is useful information for my purpose as well. I was intrigued by the idea of using stearic acid, but I don't have it right now. So, thanks to @KiwiMoose , I tried playing with the lye calculator and if I replace 20% of the linseed oil with lard instead of 10% stearic acid, I get slightly better Ins. And it goes up to 94 from the original 65, which is still not ideal, but as a little experiment I can try... If it doesn't work, I'll see what DOS looks like 🙊. Since linseed oil has a high percentage of unsaturated acids, I am considering 0% superfat.
Screenshot_2023-12-05-06-23-12-796_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2023-12-05-06-23-32-111_com.android.chrome.jpg

@Zany_in_CO Thanks so much for the thread alert. I did see it, but I didn't think to read it because it was about the warm process, but now I see that there is useful information for my purpose as well.
You're welcome.

Yes, that thread is about making LS, liquid soap. Since you are making CP, the most important piece of info in that thread is that flaxseed oil is safe for use on the skin; linseed oil is not as it contains methane/methanol (from wood) in its natural state and it is toxic to skin. That's why it's good for washing floors and such. Flaxseed is refined and therefore doesn't contain methane. They are not interchangeable. ;)

@Iveta Pelá my understanding from your earlier post is that you have cold-pressed linseed oil, correct? My understanding is that this is safe for food, and thus, safe for soap. Wikipedia says:

Nutritional supplement and food​

Raw cold-pressed linseed oil – commonly known as flax seed oil in nutritional contexts – is easily oxidized, and rapidly becomes rancid, with an unpleasant odour, unless refrigerated. Linseed oil is not generally recommended for use in cooking. In one study, the content of Alpha linolenic acid (ALA) in whole flaxseeds did not decrease after heating the seeds to temperatures of up to 178 °C (352.4 °F) for one and a half hours.[11]

Food-grade flaxseed oil is cold-pressed, obtained without solvent extraction, in the absence of oxygen, and marketed as edible flaxseed oil. Fresh, refrigerated and unprocessed, linseed oil is used as a nutritional supplement and is a traditional European ethnic food, highly regarded for its nutty flavor. Regular flaxseed oil contains between 57% and 71% polyunsaturated fats (alpha-linolenic acid, linoleic acid).[12] Plant breeders have developed flaxseed with both higher ALA (70%)[12] and very low ALA content (< 3%).[13] The USFDA granted generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status for high alpha linolenic flaxseed oil.[14]

I was talking to Iveta. Her post says she uses cold-pressed linseed oil.
Check out the link I added. Whether boiled or cold-pressed, they're both used to clean wood, similar to using turpentine and that's where you find them in the hardware store or home improvement stores.

To be safe, I think a little more research would be beneficial. My experience with linseed oil is confined to use on wood, in oil painting and Murphey's Oil Soap for cleaning wood. Personally, I wouldn't use it to make CP soap to cleanse skin. I can only speak from experience and long time use of both products based on my early research.

Wikipedia may not be the best source for that info. There's a lot of conflicting information out there. :rolleyes:

Both flaxseed oil and linseed oil are extracted from seeds of the plant Linum usitatissimu. Flaxseed oil is pure and fit for human consumption; linseed oil goes through a refinement process and may contain additives that improve its paint-cleaning properties. Never drink linseed oil. Instructions on flaxseed oil packages will indicate if it is drinkable.
Source:
https://www.sharecare.com/health/flaxseed-oil/difference-flaxseed-oil-linseed-oil
HTH :computerbath:

Last edited:
Do as much research as you'd like. The OP has stated that she has COLD-PRESSED LINSEED OIL, which - as you quoted from my quote - is THE SAME THING as flaxseed oil. Nutritional contexts = food grade.

Last edited:
@AliOop, @Zany_in_CO It is a cold-pressed edible oil. It's really edible and doesn't taste very good. It is used for cold food, it should not be heated too much. Storage in the refrigerator. I mixed the lye with lye at a low temperature and put it in small molds so that it doesn't get too hot.

Latest posts

Back