What's This In My Mold

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

triprolo

Active Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Location
TN
I made some orange soap and let it harden for a couple of days before removing it from the mold. When I did remove it, this is what I found in the mold. It doesn't look to have affected the soap since it was under my liner. Not sure what it is though. Thoughts?

IMG_5685.jpg


IMG_5686.jpg
 

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
1,914
Reaction score
2,113
Location
North East Oregon, USA
At first I expected to see legs...

Looks to me like there might have been a small amount of leakage while the soap batter was still liquid or some of the orange took a trip with her friend Mr. lye. Maybe even a bit of color from the liner paper?

Those are my first impression guesses.
 

maya

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
783
Reaction score
293
Location
northland
Sap from the residual heat from the saponification process is what it looks like to me.
 

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2012
Messages
3,078
Reaction score
3,177
Location
Montana
Looks like mold though I can't reconcile how that could be. Do you think there could be chemicals in the wood (i.e., from treatment) that reacted with seeped lye, or maybe a natural stain that was highlighted?
 

galaxyMLP

Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2015
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
1,333
Location
Florida
Looks like some caustic seepage too me. Then that seepage reacted with your wooden mold. I think that may be a "burnt" mold. Still totally usable IMHO.
 

triprolo

Active Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Location
TN
I, too, was thinking it was orange mixing with the lye that seeped under the lining. I've used this mold before but that didn't happen. I've never used orange EO before but have heard stories. I'm gonna chalk it up as harmless and keep on keeping on. Thanks for all you comments.
 

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 2, 2012
Messages
15,447
Reaction score
9,735
Location
Michigan
It looks like lye reacted with the wood.
 

Soapsavvy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2016
Messages
122
Reaction score
29
Location
United States
It looks like mold, I'm not trying be cynical or anything, but that's what it looks like to me.
 

lionprincess00

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
1,672
Reaction score
1,097
My first thoughts are the pattern was formed from wrinkles in the liner maybe. Second I know I've read treated lumber can react with the lye, like was previously mentioned. If you made the mold with treated wood and it seeped out of the liner, then that's my guess as to what happened.
From
http://www.lovinsoap.com/2010/07/choosing-a-mold-a-cold-process-soapmaking-tutorial/

You’ll want to purchase a mold made of a hard wood such as poplar that is untreated. Treated wood can react if exposed to unsaponified soap as well as to heat in your oven if you choose to use your mold in the oven for any reason (such as forcing gel).
 

triprolo

Active Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Location
TN
My first thoughts are the pattern was formed from wrinkles in the liner maybe. Second I know I've read treated lumber can react with the lye, like was previously mentioned. If you made the mold with treated wood and it seeped out of the liner, then that's my guess as to what happened..
I'm not sure if it was treated or not. I just grabbed some wood from my Father-In-Law's wood shop and slapped it together. That's probably what happened though.
 

navigator9

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2014
Messages
2,713
Reaction score
3,092
Location
New England
Mmm...I don't think those are wrinkles. It's a pattern of some kind. It ends at one point, in a pretty straight line, and then picks up again, and it goes up the ends. Exactly what did you use as a liner? If it was plastic, did it have printing on it, or some kind of design? I'm just not convinced that those are wrinkles.
 

triprolo

Active Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Location
TN
I didn't want to touch it last night. Lol But when I get home, I may try scraping it to see if it growls. :p
 

triprolo

Active Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
Location
TN
I checked it out and it does look like the wood is burnt. It wouldn't scrape off and the texture of the wood is no different. So I'm thinking the lye reacted with the wood and burnt it but not sure. Very interesting for sure.
 
Top