Whats the thinnest youll cut soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifthCap

Reaction score
This morning I was having the SO smell a couple new scents and give me his opinion on which size bar he liked better.

I have a short and stumpy bar then a longer skinnier bar.

He did not like the taller bar.
Now Im paranoid.

Will a too thin bar waste away faster?

They both weigh the same..

This morning I was having the SO smell a couple new scents and give me his opinion on which size bar he liked better.

Now Im paranoid.

I actually have two sizes one is wider(longer) and not as high. I have found women like that size a lot, especially women with smaller hands. The men so far haven't showed a preference either way. If they want soap, they sniff it and buy it. The don't browse each bar either, they find one they like and are done.

They last right about the same, and they are the same weight. Could it be that your husband perceived it was smaller?

Last edited:

Now Im paranoid.

Why are you paranoid because 1 person preferred one size over another? Unless the 2 of you will be the only ones using the soap, that is hardly a good survey population

You need to ask more people for their opinions, and I bet you will get many different replies.

Mine are at least 2cms thick, so shy of 1 inch.

I don't think that the thinner bars are used up more quickly - as long as they are allowed to dry. Don't forget that someone will try to get the same lather from a thicker bar, so it's still going to be lathered up to the same extent.

I think the biggest issue is that a thinner bar might be hard to use sooner than a stockier bar - it gets to the thin, breaking stage while there is still a bit of soap there, whereas the thicker bar weighs less by the time it is so thin because it is also shorter.

No worries. :) If the soap weighs the same as the other, I can't think of why it wouldn't last as long as the other. But even if it doesn't, the difference won't be too drastically noticeable, I should think.

Kchaystack makes a good point about who will be using the soap..... If it's just you and your SO that are using your soap, just find out what size is preferable to your SO and go with that. And if more people than you and your SO are using your soap, just send out a survey to them to see what they prefer. Simple as a pimple (as a childhood friend of mine was fond of saying).

As for myself, I like my bars to have these dimensions: 3.5" x 2.5" x 1.25" thick. It fits well in my hand and also in the hands of all those I give my soap to.

IrishLass :)

Mine are the same as IrishLass. I've never had a complaint that they are too big and they fit just right in most hands too.

It's certainly personal preference how you want your bars to be.

I would assume that a bar with more surface area would be used up more quickly, because more surface area is exposed to water.

I have a mold that makes thick rectangle bars, and I personally prefer the more traditional 1-inch thick.

I would assume that a bar with more surface area would be used up more quickly, because more surface area is exposed to water.

Yes, surface area, erosion. Also there is a point where the soap gets too thin, and breaks. If your bar starts out at 1" smallest dimension, it will get to the breaking point faster than a 2" bar.

There are other things to consider with shape, though. How easy is it to hold and use? Will it fit on a soap dish? My daughter likes tiny chunky bars for her face soap because it's easier to use.

Yes, surface area, erosion. Also there is a point where the soap gets too thin, and breaks. If your bar starts out at 1" smallest dimension, it will get to the breaking point faster than a 2" bar.

Very good point! I did not consider that. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

3/4" always feels so incredibly small to me! 1 inch is about the bare minimum, and I actually wouldn't mind being able to cut at an inch an a half (my miter box only does 1").

Thick bars of soap make me feel rich.

My bars are 3.5 x 2.5 - either tall and skinny or wide and short, when I texture the tops they're a bit taller. I cut all mine to 1 1/8" thick.

I couldn't imagine a soap smaller than 1" thick, it'd just seem sooooo small

Thanks for yalls answers.
I had to cut one batch thin, about .75"
Now Im wondering what I need to do to fix it. :-?

I prefer square bars about an inch thick. Look nice in the soap dish, dissolve evenly and don't break up when they get thin. You tend to just get an ever shrinking disc, until it's a sliver then I meld it with other slivers to make up a full bar again. The only bar I really don't like though are the loaf slices, where it's about the size of a piece of toast. Too big surface area and I just want to chop it in half. I don't display soap though, I only use it. I'm sure that makes a difference to what I prefer.

Back