What's on your soap to do list?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K. I got coffee soap, whiskey soap. pine tar and neem soap and beer soap done. Onto tinctures. Then lotions. Wait. maybe lotions then tinctures. I don't know. Hmmmmmm....

First clean up. Then new things.

Goodness, Maya! I'm exhausted just reading all the things you need to get done, but it sounds like you're on a roll!! You go girl! :)

Things I'd like to accomplish (but at a more leisurely pace than Maya :wink: ):

1. Make more lip balm
2. Make more in-the-shower-lotion bars
3. Make a goat milk and honey soap using drained oatmeal water as part of my liquid
4. Make more salt bars, possibly via soleseife
5. Experiment by making a new, tweaked version of my tallow/lard formula (not that it needs tweaking, but I'm just in an experimental mood)
6. Make a batch of emulsified body butter

IrishLass :)

3. Make a goat milk and honey soap using drained oatmeal water as part of my liquid

Slightly off-topic, have you ever used cooked oatmeal in soap? I know a lot of people throw in some form of raw oats ground or whole. I'm wondering if the texture would be better if the oatmeal was already cooked in terms of getting the soothing benefits without the possible scrubbiness of whole oats. Maybe it would be like when people add baby oatmeal... I need to go make some soap now!

I want to do a peacock swirl and a mantra swirl. I just made two batches of soaps this past weekend. I hadn't soaped since September. It felt so good. I really need to get a bunch of restocking done before my markets/shows start in June. I too want to make an emulsified body butter.

Slightly off-topic, have you ever used cooked oatmeal in soap? I know a lot of people throw in some form of raw oats ground or whole. I'm wondering if the texture would be better if the oatmeal was already cooked in terms of getting the soothing benefits without the possible scrubbiness of whole oats. Maybe it would be like when people add baby oatmeal... I need to go make some soap now!

I did that once and it was way too scrubby for the likes of me. Instead, I normally use baby oatmeal (this one: http://www.earthsbest.com/products/product/2392390017 ), which works quite nicely, by the way, and does not give me the scratchies, but I wanted to experiment with oatmeal water just for experiment's sake to see what effect it would have (i.e., soaking whole oats overnight with more water than they need in order to soften, and then draining it off the next day).

I did that once and it was way too scrubby for the likes of me. Instead, I normally use baby oatmeal (this one: http://www.earthsbest.com/products/product/2392390017 ), which works quite nicely, by the way, and does not give me the scratchies, but I wanted to experiment with oatmeal water just for experiment's sake to see what effect it would have (i.e., soaking whole oats overnight with more water than they need in order to soften, and then draining it off the next day).

Please let me know how that turns out? I have had that in my "things to try" section of my binder for a while now.

I am going to try the beer soap this weekend(or whenever I get to a store to buy beer). Does anyone have an EO blend that would go well with it? Bear in mind that it is for men.

I am going to try the beer soap this weekend(or whenever I get to a store to buy beer). Does anyone have an EO blend that would go well with it? Bear in mind that it is for men.

You can do something earthy with patchouli in it. However, I make it with citrus essential oils. I tell them not to think of citrus as being girly and fruity -- think Shock Top and oranges, Corona and limes, it's manly. Ha.

I've used oat water or oat milk as I like to call it, a few times now. The soap had a beautiful lather and felt really silky. I made a few errors, cough cough... I would recommend dissolving the lye with water only as when I added oatmilk to the lye water I got instant porridge! Then adding the milk to the oils. I HP'd my soap but it took 3 hours instead of 1!!! Next time I will CP. It is definetely worth trying.

Back