What's In Your Soap Pot This Week-End? (24th-25th Oct)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soapqueen said:
soapbubble said:
I'm going to try a microwave rebatch of a couple of bars of Castille soap that are too drying for my face this time of year....

Surely Castille soap is the least drying possible? :? Is it true Castille (100% OO), or does it have something else added.

As to my pot this weekend, I will be unmoulding my latest urea scented goat's milk :( and experimenting with making salt soap for the first time.

Hi!

It was good during the summer months for my slightly oily skin, now it's too drying. I don't know what % superfat it is, i used a book recipe.

54 oz olive
16 oz water
7 oz lye

no idea if that is "fatted" enough... :wink:

Hoping to squeeze in a small batch of lemon verbena w/apricot seeds
and maybe a small batch GM vanilla Madegascar.

Today, a batch of plain unscented "Matt's Special" soap in the pot right now. I am totally floored at how my little guy's skin has completely cleared of eczema since I started using my soap on him a couple of weeks ago. So now, since the experiment was a success, I am going to make sure we NEVER run out!!

IsItSoapYet? said:
Today, a batch of plain unscented "Matt's Special" soap in the pot right now. I am totally floored at how my little guy's skin has completely cleared of eczema since I started using my soap on him a couple of weeks ago. So now, since the experiment was a success, I am going to make sure we NEVER run out!!

My BIL and his 3 year old son have very bad eczema could you pm me some help, please?

I don't tend to make soap over the weekend but I de-molded a fragrant Plumeria soap made with Olive, coconut, palm and Shea butter yesterday. I swirled lightly with a lilac color but that didn't turn out too strongly. Besides the darn thing started to seize up on me when I added the plumeria. How does one get a good swirl when adding EO and FO's??

I just got my scents in today. WSP rice flower & Shea, lavender and sage, bergamot & mandarin, and Vanilla Noir. I think I'm giong to whip up a batch of the rice flower & shea...it smells....SOO GOOD oob :)

ohsoap & artisan soaps:

Here is the formula for the plain soap I have been making. I don't think there was anything figured in for superfatting and I haven't experimented with that yet. The first time I made it I used a recipe from a book, then found the forum and soapcalc.com, so this is the recipe run through soapcalc. I like this soap for myself too, the lather is very soothing and feels comforting on the skin, took away the "itchies" on my legs too!

Crisco 36.36%
Olive Oil 30.3%
Coconut Oil (76 deg, solid)24.24%
Cocoa Butter 3.03%
Shea Butter 3.03%
Beeswax 3.03%

what do we use instead of crisco in australia? we have crisco brand sunflower oil, but i suspect that crisco is somrthing else in the states.

Well, I had to work all day today (Saturday... Sunday morning? :(), thus tomorrow (later today?) I plan on doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! We'll see if I actually accomplish this goal though.... I MAY try to get my salt bar from a week ago :)shock: ) out of the steel pipe mold again (it won't BUDGE)!

whisks said:
what do we use instead of crisco in australia? we have crisco brand sunflower oil, but i suspect that crisco is somrthing else in the states.

Lol I live in the states and am not even sure of the answer..I think it is lard..or shortening?

Crisco = All Vegetable Shortening. Sorry...I pasted in directly from Soapcalc and that was on their list of oils, also I grew up with the brand-name being synonymous with the product, but really I'm sure any old brand of veg. shortening will do.

The generic knock-off brands of Crisco I've bought here (I'm in the states) are a mix of hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils. I believe one of the REAL Crisco formulas is like this but they also have a version that is largely Palm oil. I've used the non-palm version in batches that I've calced on Soapcalc and they have come out great. I've never used the Palm oil kind of Crisco.

Frymasta (yellow packet) is palm oil. It's sold in a 500gm block near the butter and margarine in the supermarket, although I am finding it harder and harder to find. Coles used to carry it, about six months ago, but they don't have it. I do find it at Franklins or IGA though.
Supafry (red packet) is tallow.

i've noticed frymasta a some coles, not all. i know they tried to take copha off the market but couldn't because there was an uproar about how we would be ab;e to make chocolate crackles!!! that's all people seem to buy copha for these days, and unilever thought that sales didn't justify carrying the line anymore.

Three for me!!

WSP's Apple Pie and Pumpkin Pie....2 pound pumpkin pie batch with 2 ozs libby's pured pumpkin

GL Candle Supply Oak Moss and Clary Sage

My favorite scent out of the three was the Apple Pie! My whole house smelled like I was baking apple pie!!

The Pumpkin Pie didn't smell like pumpkin pie at all. I could really figure out what it smelled like. Maybe they gave me something else... I even asked 3 other people in the house if it did and they were like, um... not sure what it smells like... weird! Maybe it will smell better when I cut tomorrow....

Latest posts

Back