What type of Olive Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried my essential soap recipe from Susan Cavitch book.
I noticed the O.O. I had my husband pick up from Costco was kind of greenish. The OO I usually use is golden. I used the greenish.

The soap is a really yucky green/yellow color. What type of OO is the best to use or could it be that the fragrance played a part?

Also, I would love a recipe for a really white soap if anyone would care to share!
Perhaps the moral is "Don't have your hubby pick up your soap ingredients"

Alot of people use the OO from Costco without any ill affects; I purchase mine at Sam's - it is golden in color but am able to achieve very white soap using it. Fragrance oils can most definitely affect the color. Will be trial by error or extensive research/reading to find the ones that don't. I've been making soap for over 2 years so still consider myself a relative "newbie" because I am still learning. (But I know a lot more than I did 2 years ago :wink: )

There is an older thread on this forum that offered some recipe suggestions for really white soap. Good luck!

Back