What to use for a mold....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapinglizards

Reaction score
Ok, so I want to do a decorated soap layer cake.... BUT what to use for a mold???? Suggestions?

I have some deep cake pans, but even if I could figure a way to line it... It is aluminum so if it leaks it would be a disaster.

A bucket? But how would I get it to release.

A spring pan? Maybe if I can find one Stainless steel.... Any other suggestions?

Before I use my wooden mold, I always use an aluminium cake pan. I use a brown plastic layered paper. And all of my batch using that aluminium mold are just fine. :)

My aluminium, because of its model is not deep and thin, I never got a gelling soap.

i second the suggestion for round silicone pans. it's worth the investment imo. no lining, no nothing, very easy to use, and will lasts a long time.

If you're not in a hurry, I've seen some inexpensive silicone molds on Ebay. Unfortunately, most of them are from China, but my pockets these days can't afford the more expensive ones. I just ordered a few single cavity molds to see what the quality is like, so I can't comment on that, but I did see round cake pans while I was looking.

This one's from China....$5.95, with free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-Food-...94229745?pt=Bakeware&var=&hash=item1c37bd2ff1

This one's not......it's more expensive, but it's taller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-9-.../190905095175?pt=Bakeware&hash=item2c72d49407

With silicone, they might well bow outwards from the weight of the soap - but as it's just for getting used to soaping, it's not a big issue, just something to bear in mind. You can help prevent it by putting the mould in a sturdy box that fits snugly.

Here's a link to a silicone mould for making cake portions :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008LAA81M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

(The seller is in the UK).

Regarding Chinese moulds....
From experience I must say that I'd hesitate to get any silicone that is red and comes all the way from China.
I bought a supremely el cheapo red silicone loaf mould from a Chinese ebay shop a while back after seeing a link on this forum.
It was sooo cheap ... I was so happy!
Then the red pigment bled into the first cp batch I put in it ... and the mould went into the bin... :(
I've had other cheap colour moulds from mysterious far away places though and they have been fine, it's just the red stuff I avoid now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a link to a silicone mould for making cake portions :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008LAA81M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

(The seller is in the UK).

Regarding Chinese moulds....
From experience I must say that I'd hesitate to get any silicone that is red and comes all the way from China.
I bought a supremely el cheapo red silicone loaf mould from a Chinese ebay shop a while back after seeing a link on this forum.
It was sooo cheap ... I was so happy!
Then the red pigment bled into the first cp batch I put in it ... and the mould went into the bin... :(
I've had other cheap colour moulds from mysterious far away places though and they have been fine, it's just the red stuff I avoid now.

That's good to know, Anna. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have some molds I paid a lot for, and I've been wanting more, but the cost of them, plus the shipping was just too much. So when I saw these inexpensive ones, with free shipping no less, I had to try them. Hope I won't be sorry. I'll post after I receive them, and try them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good to know, Anna. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have some molds I paid a lot for, and I've been wanting more, but the cost of them, plus the shipping was just too much. So when I saw these inexpensive ones, with free shipping no less, I had to try them. Hope I won't be sorry. I'll post after I receive them, and try them out.

Yes - fingers crossed they'll be fine :)
Really I should have requested a refund or a replacement, but for the sake of £2 I was far too busy at the time to worry about it.
:)

Latest posts

Back