What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I mean, if you splash it on the sink you just need to run the water and away it goes.
My mother used to use lye to deep clean the stove top, so splashes there mean a super clean stove! (Jk!)
Yeah, my mom taught me to clean my stove & oven parts with lye, too. I used to have an old O'Keefe & Merritt stove that was fairly easy to dismantle and I'd soak the parts in a mild lye solution to get any and all burned on food spills super easy.

I had planned on making at least one batch of soap today but that didn't happen. I did, however, have a marvelous day doing things I don't often get to do. Most of it had nothing to do with soap at all. My daughter and I went shopping; I bought two new bras and some panties, we went out for sushi (we both love it; our partners don't), and then I had a mani/pedi after I dropped her off at home.

I just now made some soap flowers for a batch of upcoming soap.

20180813_192429_HDR.jpg

Pretty flowers !

I was making white pumpkin and lilac soap but when I added the yogurt the batter turned an ugly tan, not what I was going for. I was at 170 so I am not sure what happened there. I wound up adding TD and Orange Mica, I had planned to swirl with orange but such is life. hoping the orange lightens up a bit as it sets. I did add a bit of green mica and oil in between layers and hangar swirled. Fingers crossed

I had a bomb of a show on Saturday. Sold $7 total. A friend organized it so I skipped going to a monthly show that I have done well at in order to support friend's show. It was the most unorganized poopfest I have ever been a part of! I had a lot of critiques for my friend and nothing positive to say about it. I feel like a jerk... but not really.

I held off soaping for a few days in favor of taking care of a few things around the house. Last night I masterbatched lye and oils and mopped the soap lab floor. Once the floor was dry I set out everything I would need to make soleseife today over my lunch hour. It would have gone faster if I hadn't made a video, but I still managed to get lunch and back to work on time. Doing it over my lunch hour was the only way I could figure out how to make the soap and get it cut without staying up until the bar closes... and now the entire office gets to enjoy Mint Patchouli (I must have spilled some on myself...)! I am not popular at the office today.

I'm not sure if more soaping is on the agenda for tonight or not. I still have two custom orders to do and take another stab at the Peach Poppies buttermilk soap. Oh, and the monthly challenge to do yet. I only want to do a small batch for that, 16oz oils, but don't have a small enough slab mold to get good sized bars. It occurred to me on the way to work this morning that I could probably do this in my rectangular cavity mold. We'll see what my mood is tonight, if it's good, I'll try the challenge soap. Not so good, I'll do the easy (single color) custom order. If it sucks, I'll sit on the patio with a beer and read a book.

Did Market last night, it was the one I said I would only do one more because I thought some people would come back. Those people didn't but others did. About $100 made after fee so for the 2 days there I only did about $70. There is just not enough traffic there. Vendors were nice but just not worth it, they need a place where more people will walk to and can SEE.

I have managed to make better room in my car for hauling my FM stuff so that is at least good :)

Did Market last night, it was the one I said I would only do one more because I thought some people would come back. Those people didn't but others did. About $100 made after fee so for the 2 days there I only did about $70. There is just not enough traffic there. Vendors were nice but just not worth it, they need a place where more people will walk to and can SEE.

I have managed to make better room in my car for hauling my FM stuff so that is at least good :)
I think I lucked out with "my" market. Sunday was my best day so far - well over $200 and I'm the only soaper there. I'm even getting repeat customers coming to the market just for my soap.

Yesterday, I made a batch of Green Tea and Lemongrass soap. I think this is one of my favourite scent combinations so far. It just smells so fresh and clean. This morning, I cut it and I can honestly say I'm thrilled with how it turned out. The swirl came out even better than I'd anticipated. Now, if I could get the green and red to look more like Christmas colours, I'd do something like this for a Christmas soap.

20180816_074259_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I unmolded some soap, re-arranged recently made soaps onto new curing racks I found yesterday. Left them out overnight to get air, but put into dresser drawers this morning so they aren't all over the hotel room. I am leaving the drawers open while in the hotel room, but when I leave, close the drawers.

The fist soap I made a few days back are decently hard already, so I am pleased. They gelled, too so I expected that. The gelled soap I made a couple days later aren't as hard, but should be by the time I leave to travel again. The soap I made last (about 2 days ago?) did not gel, so I left it in the mold until this morning. They are already ashy. Same exact recipe, so gelling is an ash deterrent. Maybe not as much as some other things, but enough to see a huge difference in the same recipe in a short time.

I sucked yesterday so I made no more soap. Laid on the couch and cried from a pressure headache (we had a storm rolling through, I was fine after the storm blew itself out). When I finally got off the couch at 8:30, I went down to cut my soleseife... that stupid soap was still soft! My first batch of soleseife was almost too hard to cut at 9 hours, this one at 8 hours was too soft! Of course I cut it anyways because it was cuttable if slightly "gooey". I checked on it at lunch today, and it's still soft but about where I cut normal soap. Stupid soleseife. So now I'm trying to remember if I did anything different with this batch other than changing the fragrance and color. I think my first batch was 40% OO and this batch is 20% OO/20%RBO. I'll have to look at the recipe tonight to make sure. Otherwise, the soap is gorgeous. I'm really happy with it.

Today will not be making soap day. Today is catching up on all the computer stuff I should have had done last week - like my monthly newsletter, the note that goes out with the Soap of the Month, making labels for the Soap of the Month... and goal setting.

No soap today, spent most of the day in traffic due to some accident while getting silly kitties treats :rolleyes:

I did stain the wooden shelves I got.
I also got my NG order :dance:
I got something or a mix of some of the manly stuff on my fingers and I can't stop smelling them !!!
I know that sounds so gross but all I can do is think of all the soap I want to make !!!
Now Which to make into Salt bars....

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie
Crisp and Candied
Nectarine & Mint
The Perfect Man
Sherlock Homie
Mayan Musk
Ferocious Beast
Cedar Wood
Twilight in the Woods
Snowman Balls
Rosemary

I did nothing soap today. Migraine day so after logging out of work early, I took a 6 hour nap hoping to sleep through the res of the headache.

I had intended to wrap and organize my inventory. Maybe tomorrow.

Got my new batch of FO’s today. They all smell really nice so I’m hoping they will behave as they should, fingers crossed.

I got 7 batches I want to do today.
4 regular and 3 Salts.
Water is in the freezer for them and I am just finishing having coffee and surfing the SMF.
Then I will be measuring oils and Lye as I didn't do it last night but I got to wait for the water to freeze up anyway

Back