1. We are helping test out a new project for soapmakers. Soapmaking Friend. If you are interested in providing feedback and help guide this project to include all you want to see in a recipe builder and calculator please PM an Admin or post in the Announcements forum. Your feedback is really needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Aug 8, 2018 #7901

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

IMG_20180808_124318_102.jpeg My impatience to see how this soap turned out shows. I went home over lunch and cut it. Pictures do not show the true ugliness. Despite being in the fridge it burned badly. Not all of the buttermilk powder incorporated so there a brown chunks of burned powder. This soap brings me no joy so I binned it. Not even saving it for my own use. Lesson learned. Next go around will not have stearic acid, and just to be safe I will make a buttermilk slurry before adding to oils. I've used straight powder several times without chunk issues so I'm sure the fact that it seized within 10 seconds was the cause of the powder chunks. Feeling justified to have ice cream, chips and Oreos for lunch. I'll pay for that later too when my stomach complains.

shunt2011 and Misschief like this.
  2. Aug 9, 2018 #7902

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

:(

3. Aug 9, 2018 #7903

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

Back to work tomorrow but today I made two batches of shower steamers and a batch of Lemongrass and Ginger Bubble Scoops. I should have made soap but I have two orders coming in, one with colorants and one with fragrance oils and I have plans for some of those so I'm content to wait until next week (I'm off all week).

4. Aug 9, 2018 #7904

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Sending prayers for everyone. <3

amd likes this.
  5. Aug 9, 2018 #7905

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Cut and cleaned yesterday’s soap. I mean, i wanted the white to be whiter, the purple to be purpler? XD and a pretty swirl, but considering i am just learning how much TD to use and how much mica and the FO did not play nice, I am satisfied. Is not horrible, is usable and smells nice. IMG_9380.jpg

6. Aug 9, 2018 #7906

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I am so sorry to hear about your cousin and will keep all of you including her girls in my prayers. It is such a hard age to lose their mother, and will take the whole family to get them through it.

You should know better than to make soap when the head is not into it :p

amd likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2018 #7907

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I packed orders today. I usually enjoy it but not today for some reason. I stretched it out over 3 hours because I kept taking breaks. Long week at work I guess.

Lin19687 likes this.
  8. Aug 9, 2018 #7908

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

What a few days you have had.
    You deserve the oreos and maybe a scotch after dinner. :)
    Thinking of you and your family at this difficult time.

SoapAddict415 and amd like this.
  9. Aug 9, 2018 #7909

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

Still getting things organized for my 2 day show this weekend. I'm more overwhelmed than usual for some reason. Thought I was prepared but not so much.

amd: keeping you and your family in my prayers. Remember to take care of you too...

amd likes this.
  10. Aug 9, 2018 #7910

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Did a new show yesterday but the rain and looming clouds I think made less turnout :(
    I just made what the fee was. But gave a bunch of samples to some college girls who were out for a run so no money. They said they will be back with their "Roomies". So it is promising.
    I had several ask if I would be there next week, I said yes so I am committed for now. $30 fee is a bit high for here but it is in the City so I am hopeful and College will be filling up any day now.
    Today I plan on cranking out another 4 batches and maybe a bunch of Salt bars too.

amd likes this.
  11. Aug 9, 2018 #7911

SugarBushPrimitives

SugarBushPrimitives

SugarBushPrimitives

[QUOTE="amd, post: 712562, member: 19465"

Update on my cousin: my aunt called last night. They were enroute to the hospital. Jen's boyfriend came home from work and found her unresponsive. Status this morning is that she is in a coma (my mom didn't know if it was medically induced or a natural state). I am praying that she stays that way until the end. Sounds cruel to say that, but it would bring peace to our family to not see her in pain and suffering. Please keep my cousin's girls (ages 17, 16, and 15) in your prayers. I can't imagine going through life without my mom and they are losing theirs at a hard time in their life.[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I lost my mom at 12 so I know those girls will need lots of prayer. ((((((((hugs))))))))

SoapAddict415 and amd like this.
  12. Aug 9, 2018 #7912

SoapAddict415

SoapAddict415

SoapAddict415

Praying for your family Sugar.
    I've been doing a lot of planning soap bar sets. I have a million ideas and a lot of time at work (I'm standing outside of the H.R. Office now killing time while I wait to ask a question). I have so much time that I'm almost tempted to bring in my colored pencils so I can illustrate my ideas for future use. I jokingly say that "if I'm needed, I'll be in my corner coloring!" It's starting to sound like a good idea lol.

Misschief and amd like this.
  13. Aug 9, 2018 #7913

Alzie

Alzie

Alzie

Those are so pretty! Very nice!

SoapAddict415 and msunnerstood like this.
  14. Aug 9, 2018 #7914

Alzie

Alzie

Alzie

IMG_3579.JPG Well, finished my soap shack (for the most part minus curtains and whatnot ) :) currently sharing with the pantry but it works and has a lot of light. Waiting for my chair to arrive so that I can work at the table on longer projects. I'm beyond thrilled about the height adjustable table so that I can finally soap at my height and not the tall person kitchen counters I have:) my shoulders and elbows are thanking me lol. I'll finally get to soap this weekend

Zany_in_CO, wardbond, scard and 6 others like this.
  15. Aug 9, 2018 #7915

Serene

Serene

Serene

Supporting Member

Worked on caning with new soap recipe. I felt as if I was watching paint dry. This one works great when trying to cane but will do a few adjustment. I was able to get it to work, somewhat.

SoapAddict415 and scard like this.
  16. Aug 10, 2018 #7916

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Ok, I got all the pots washed from last soaping day, cut some dividers for a mold. Then went to drop off eggs to someone and sat chatting for 3 hours ! :eek: I loved it, I have no friends... need more friends

scard and Misschief like this.
  17. Aug 10, 2018 #7917

Moose Wrangler

Moose Wrangler

Moose Wrangler

There's a soapcon?!!

Serene likes this.
  18. Aug 10, 2018 #7918

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I've spent the last hour or so (lost track of time, tbh) creating an inventory sheet of everything that's coming to Sunday's market, as well as making a to do list of items that need wrapping and labelling, checking to see if everything is correct in Square, and more. I think I'll even have time tomorrow and Saturday to make a few more bubble scoops and maybe a test batch of bath bombs, just to see if they'll sell.

In doing the inventory, I now also know which soaps I need to make more of. The two glaring ones kind of surprised me (though I'm not sure why).

19. Aug 10, 2018 #7919

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

Just finished getting pretty much everything together for this weekends show. A little perplexed when I opened my cash box and my card reader and card swipers are all missing. Thank goodness I had an extra swiper or I’d be up a creek without a paddle. I’ve looked everywhere for my reader. I always keep it in my cash box.

Serene likes this.
  20. Aug 10, 2018 #7920

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

That sounds like something I would do. Mine lives in my cash box, too. I hope you find them.