What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:04 AM #7921

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

I've spent the last hour or so (lost track of time, tbh) creating an inventory sheet of everything that's coming to Sunday's market, as well as making a to do list of items that need wrapping and labelling, checking to see if everything is correct in Square, and more. I think I'll even have time tomorrow and Saturday to make a few more bubble scoops and maybe a test batch of bath bombs, just to see if they'll sell.

In doing the inventory, I now also know which soaps I need to make more of. The two glaring ones kind of surprised me (though I'm not sure why).

2. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:13 AM #7922

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

Just finished getting pretty much everything together for this weekends show. A little perplexed when I opened my cash box and my card reader and card swipers are all missing. Thank goodness I had an extra swiper or I’d be up a creek without a paddle. I’ve looked everywhere for my reader. I always keep it in my cash box.

Serene likes this.
  3. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:38 AM #7923

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

That sounds like something I would do. Mine lives in my cash box, too. I hope you find them.

4. Aug 10, 2018 at 8:37 PM #7924

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

4 batches while listening to Pandora (80's and today's country)
    Lavender Sage - needed more since I am almost out
    Pink Orchid & Amber
    Fallen leaves- not like leaves so I added a bit of mintiness = will see how it turns out
    Sugar&Spice with some Peace (like nutmeg from NG)

Just took out of the mold and will cut tonight after 7pm, I hope

Do you carry a bag/purse to the shows? Maybe it is in there. I keep cash in my pocket and extra cash (in a baggie) in the bag with drinks etc. My reader is kept in the baggie the money is in.

5. Aug 10, 2018 at 11:58 PM #7925

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I hate when that happens! I've been in a hurry to pack stuff up and sometimes make the mistake of not putting an important item in it's accustomed home, thinking 'I'll remember where I put this and put it away later (tonight or whenever)' then don't. So not good. Drives me nuts searching later.

6. Aug 11, 2018 at 12:42 AM #7926

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

More salt bars!

Misschief likes this.
  7. Aug 11, 2018 at 9:40 AM #7927

earlene

earlene

earlene

I used corn silk in soap for the first time. One of my husband's co-workers gave him a couple of ears of 'sweet' corn a couple of weeks ago and I thought, 'now is the perfect time to use corn silk in soap'. Well, I sure hope the soap comes out better than those horribly un-sweet 'sweet' corns were. It was the worst fresh corn I've ever eaten. I think maybe their was some cross pollination with feed corn somewhere along the way, as they were just terrible.

Anyway, I dried the corn silk and put it in a baggy to bring along on this trip so I could use it in the lye solution same as silk. I don't know what to expect, but I wonder if it had anything to do with thickening my batter more than expected.

8. Aug 11, 2018 at 2:08 PM #7928

BlueIris

BlueIris

BlueIris

I made pumpkin soap, with a lavender cedar wood FO. Colored it orange, but it looks more pinkish than orange. I’ll use a bit more color next time and try to darken the next batch. Ordered a few Christmas scents and a cute star mold to start Christmas soap soon. I send soap overseas for the holidays so I have to start early to give plenty of time for curing and shipping. Love this time of year.

9. Aug 11, 2018 at 2:33 PM #7929

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Delivering 40 soap airplanes and 16 soap flowers today since Ill be in the area. so glad those are done. (She is talking about buying more molds god help me)

scard likes this.
  10. Aug 11, 2018 at 5:01 PM #7930

earlene

earlene

earlene

I forgot to mention that I bought a 54 ounce container of CO for under $10 last night. The price was so good, I couldn't pass it up. The Grocery Outlet store is chalk full of fabulous bargains. It's one of the few places in this Northern California town where my son lives that allows for affordable cost of living for the many poor folk who live here. Most everything else is way over-priced for the high percentage of folks living on limited incomes. Even the Goodwill in this town is horrendously overpriced. I tell my son what the average Goodwill charges for things and he is amazed I find such bargains.

Thought maybe I'd make some salt soap while here if I get tired of the Dancing Funnel. I gathered some salt from the Utah Salt Flats a few days back, specifically to add to soap. Thought it would be a fun experiment. I may stop and get some more on my way back home.

11. Aug 11, 2018 at 6:46 PM #7931

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

I have water in the freezer and Lye measured out for salt bars.

12. Aug 11, 2018 at 8:13 PM #7932

TanyaGri

TanyaGri

TanyaGri

Omg!! You make them look so beautiful! I have just started, literally 2 weeks ago. Only practising designs on melt&pour soap for now, want to start CP at some point... IMG_3397.jpg made this box today as a gift for my parents wedding next week.
    IMG_3378.jpg
    How does this look? Too much glitter :-( spent all today morning on it

C2E5BE74-2F38-44BF-8AE6-9B0D08D026BC.jpg yesterday.. ground coffee with shea butter & oatmeal , will be ok as a scrub .

Pls give some feedback... if they look ok?

13. Aug 11, 2018 at 10:33 PM #7933

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

I whipped up a batch of pink-purple soap with a gold mica line about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. Waiting on it to set up so I can texture the top with a mica drizzle!

Side note, does anyone know if the lines that appear from the pearl mica will stay after saponification? If they do I'm sure it'll make for an interesting look lol

14. Aug 11, 2018 at 10:35 PM #7934

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

I made two batches of bubble scoops today. Now, I have to shrink wrap two batches of shower steamers and one batch of soap before tomorrow's market.

15. Aug 12, 2018 at 3:05 AM #7935

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

None of my mica pearl stuff stays... if I am thinking the same thing as you are.

I got 4 batches of salt bars done finally

steffamarie likes this.
  16. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:23 AM #7936

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

well, I thought I would try salt bars.. it soaped like it never has even before I added the salt (For HP it gets added at the end). I had trouble keeping the oils hot enough the entire time, struggling to keep it above 160 let alone 170 for fluidity. it never got to vaseline stage and took forever for a negative zap test. even at a lower temp, the soap started to burn. I managed to get 5 good sized bars out of the 40 ounce batch. Im not sure im willing to try that again.

17. Aug 12, 2018 at 6:35 AM #7937

redhead1226

redhead1226

redhead1226

Supporting Member

I actually did not make anything today which is odd for me as I'm always cooking up something. But I did start to lay out my holiday plans for soap and other items. So I can order what I need. Ill start making those soaps next week. It isn't easy trying to decide what Ill make and I'm sure my list will change many times but I'm trying to start early. I always say the same thing every year and I end up getting done too late and having to scrap certain things.

18. Aug 12, 2018 at 7:55 AM #7938

earlene

earlene

earlene

I made soap again tonight, using the exact same recipe as yesterday. Stopping short just a bit earlier gave me the fluidity I needed for the Dancing Funnel. I'll see tomorrow or the next day if it was successful enough to satisfy.

19. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:53 PM #7939

SoapAddict415

SoapAddict415

SoapAddict415

I masterbatched enough lye and oils for 2 batches and washed all of my soaping dishes last night then made a batch of Butterscotch soap. This morning, I washed more soap dishes plus our regular dishes. Later today, I'll make my second soap and rebatch my butterscotch soap. I don't think I blended it well enough. It was late and it seems that our new neighbor's large dog hates the sound of my stickblender so it barked, loudly and nonstop. Not wanting to disturb others in our building, I rushed it into the mold.

20. Aug 12, 2018 at 1:54 PM #7940

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

IMG_9032.jpg IMG_9028.jpg

The cut of sweet peony I love it!! BB Amethyst and a hint of Blueberry Thyme for sweetness.