Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Guspuppy

Reaction score
btw, the Bourbon Street that i raved about oob smells like a cedar closet now...not a fan. As a matter of fact, these are going to be curing out in the spare bedroom in the garage with the pine tar soaps lol.
That's a shame, they are so pretty! Hopefully they scent does morph back!!

How can soaping in a cold space affect the process?
I”m going to take the temp down there today. But my guess is 50-60F.
My basement averages 58F. (My upstairs is between 60-65F. Hot flashes are MISERABLE) I just have to make sure I soap pretty warm, which does cause some recipes to accelerate. Once I soaped with cold lye (sat overnight) and barely melted oils, in the cold basement. The batter seemed to trace instantly and I was afraid it was going to be false trace but the end soap came out fine. I do CPOP everything upstairs in the oven though!

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@AliOop im pretty sure they gelled. I didnt actually look at them but they were well insulated and cpop...no partial gel. And i washed my hands with a piece earlier, if it were ash, that woulda washed off, i would think. It dried up and still looks weird.

@Misschief i normally spray will rubbing alcohol, but i was out, so no

i couldnt get the wire cutter through them...and they are crumbly around the edges. Super hard at 18 hours. I was originally blaming the recipe, but i think i am going to blame either the fo (did 6% + a few grams that i overpoured and didnt pour back, maybe 6.5%?) Or i mis-measured something. I am leaning towards the latter. Will never know unless i repeat the recipe i guess.
Yes, sounds like an FO problem or a mis-measurement, then. I've had that when I accidentally put in the SL twice. Does the crumbly area zap at all?

The Park Bench

Park Bench Naturals
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So excited to discover that my labels will stick if I wet them and smooth them on the bars!🥰. This is a great labeling hack for me and will save me a ton of time!

Attachments

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@The Park Bench Do they come off easily after they've been attached for a bit? I would hate to end up with label bits all over my soap, but if they do come off, that's brilliant!

My soaping thing yesterday was watching a bunch of acrylic painting string pull videos, gearing up for my string-pull attempt tomorrow evening. Some of those videos are set to beautiful music and are super relaxing. In fact, they might make you fall asleep on the couch after dinner... but I admit nothing since there is no proof. 😄

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So excited to discover that my labels will stick if I wet them and smooth them on the bars!🥰. This is a great labeling hack for me and will save me a ton of time!
I would test it over time. I have noticed that my soap continues to shrink (evaporating water) for quite a long time after I have wrapped them. Sometimes I have to tighten the packaging, bit it shrink wrap &/or paper labels.

It seems likely that as evaporation continues and the soap shrinks, your water-glued labels would wrinkle and possibly begin to come loose or fall off.

If you test it over time, you'd have a better idea if they will still adhere & how they look at the 2-month; 3-month; 6-month mark (or however long.)

marehare

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made a Peppermint Soap w/ EO Peppermint from Natural Oils Growers Group ( Amazon) & Winter Wonderland FO from NS both behaved wonderful. I used confetti for base then solid Color for top half in a beautiful color turquoise from NS. I added TD to heated oils I saw on a video' it seamed to mix evenly w/ a smoother texture, I seam to have an issue with TD totally dissolving even when premixed. cant wait to cut it tomorrow. 🧼💫👍🏼
It's A Soap Thing' They Don't Understand... 🤗🧼
I found this pic on Pinterest... I use the last one I think! The one with lard, cause I love my lard! But not only are they slow soaps but soft too! At least the ones I’ve tried! You want me to make you my handy dandy log splitter? Lol!

Edited to insert image! Silly me!
View attachment 51813
I've just finished my soap making for the season. My scents (EO), are clove, rose geranium. lavender litsea, bay lime, rosemary spearmint, pink grapefruit, mocha mint (only soap with FO), and cinnamon orange. I add in extra cocoa butter, shea butter, beeswax pastilles and palm oil. This soap recipe is a never fail if you use fresh oils. I learned the hard way last year when I had to toss out two full batches after I used an oil that was iffy. Never again.
Been making soap for 25 years. Love it!

Bobbie Brian

Reaction score
Made my 1st batch ever of soap. My mother and I sat down and decided what we wanted in it. Hopefully we did this right. We pick fresh rosemary and put it in a cockpot and cooked it for several hours with (1 batch had olive oil other batch had coconut oil) Strange greeny color once it had cooked for awhile. This was used in the soap. Not sure how long till we will be able to use it?

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank You 🤗💫👍🏼

I've just finished my soap making for the season. My scents (EO), are clove, rose geranium. lavender litsea, bay lime, rosemary spearmint, pink grapefruit, mocha mint (only soap with FO), and cinnamon orange. I add in extra cocoa butter, shea butter, beeswax pastilles and palm oil. This soap recipe is a never fail if you use fresh oils. I learned the hard way last year when I had to toss out two full batches after I used an oil that was iffy. Never again.
Been making soap for 25 years. Love it!
Sounds like your soap smells fantastic' 🧼🤗💫

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished a batch of rosemary mint (fo), charcoal soap. After i stared at so many pretty pictures and watched one or four yt videos for ideas all morning...I whimped out and went with the charcoal bar lol.

I worked overnight, I am tired, and after taking too long to make up my mind, I had to make a decision lol.

I planned on making this one anyway.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@The Park Bench Do they come off easily after they've been attached for a bit? I would hate to end up with label bits all over my soap, but if they do come off, that's brilliant!
It is a good thing my customers never complained because I always stuck my labels on my soap. A few years ago I did find some cheap 2x4 labels that did not stick as well as Avery so they did not leave as many pieces of the label to have to wash off.

Angie Gail

Reaction score
Going on week 3 of no soap making, waiting on several replacement orders of tallow (my main jam). Mailed a bunch of soap orders. Planning some lotion bars.
Worried about trying to soap in my cold soap space.
Here’s a meme.
I make people look at my craft show booth set up (I have my tables set up in what we call our Etsy room - has our shop products and things) :D

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It is a good thing my customers never complained because I always stuck my labels on my soap. A few years ago I did find some cheap 2x4 labels that did not stick as well as Avery so they did not leave as many pieces of the label to have to wash off.
Hey, if the paying customers don’t care, then I guess it’s not a big deal. I just assumed they would but maybe the no-waste movement has helped change how people see things.

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't used this fragrance oil for a while - Black Currant Absinthe by Candle Science. Just received the FO yesterday so thought I'd make a batch with it. It's very strong - even made me feel a bit nauseous having the smell on my hands from the bottle. It should be interesting to see the cut of this - I started with a drop swirl in the bottom half, and then as I got nearer the top it was thickening up so I chopstick swirled the top half only.
9DAFC7A3-DCB5-4C09-B825-D48BD5EA0C09_1_201_a.jpeg

The Park Bench

Park Bench Naturals
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My soaping thing yesterday was watching a bunch of acrylic painting string pull videos, gearing up for my string-pull attempt tomorrow evening. Some of those videos are set to beautiful music and are super relaxing. In fact, they might make you fall asleep on the couch after dinner... but I admit nothing since there is no proof. 😄
Yes, they come off easily, just peel off from a corner. I am curious to see how they handle the natural aging/ shrinking cycle. 😁

I print my soap labels on a really nice linen resume paper so it's a bit thicker than an actual label.