Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

The Park Bench

Park Bench Naturals
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I just measured ingredients for a pipe swirl I wanna try on my day off. On a non-soap note ... before work I’m experimenting with hot chocolate bombs to make for my neighbors Christmas baskets this year! The kids and co-worker
I wasn't going to be making any more soap for this year because of cure time. My last market is on Dec. 13 and that's too short a cure time for new batches. However, this morning I got a FB note asking if I make Pine Tar soap; I explained about cure time and that it likely wouldn't be ready for Chrismas. She kindly said she'd still like some for her brother and it would be great as a birthday gift rather than a Christmas gift. His birthday is at the end of January. I have it all prepped; I'm just waiting to hear back from her as to what kind of fragrance her brother wants.

I can't believe how excited I am to be making soap again. (It's only been 5 weeks since the last batch.)
Pine tar soap is on my short list of must make soon soaps! I've yet to try my hand at it but get a lot of requests.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pine tar soap is on my short list of must make soon soaps! I've yet to try my hand at it but get a lot of requests.
I wasn't going to make it this year but I know that every time I have it in stock, it does sell so I didn't mind the request. It won't go to waste, that's for sure. And it's a head start on next year's soaps. Win, Win.

msunnerstood

Reaction score
I'm so weirded out right now. I finished pouring my soap at 230 this afternoon, went to my mom's, and came back at 7 to a loaf of soap pulled away from the sides of the loaf mold. I literally just grabbed the soap from the mold and not a centimeter was still stuck to it. I cut it and it cut just fine. I'm so confused. Same HP recipe as always, same water amount. Has to be the fo maybe? I can usually unmold at 12 hours but never, ever at 5 hours. 🤔

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so weirded out right now. I finished pouring my soap at 230 this afternoon, went to my mom's, and came back at 7 to a loaf of soap pulled away from the sides of the loaf mold. I literally just grabbed the soap from the mold and not a centimeter was still stuck to it. I cut it and it cut just fine. I'm so confused. Same HP recipe as always, same water amount. Has to be the fo maybe? I can usually unmold at 12 hours but never, ever at 5 hours. 🤔
I had that happen once for CP and was sure it was due to the FO. I cut the soap at the 7 hr mark and it was already quite hard.

CatahoulaBubble

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I printed a million and a half labels and labeled and wrapped soap but it's taking me forever because I've somehow injured my wrist. Apparently just moving at my age causes injury. I was reaching for my tea and somehow my wrist went "POP" and now I can't use it very well. So I'm stuck not making soap for a bit or at least not my normal sized batches because I can't use my left wrist to hold anything more than a few ounces and I sure can't pour a bucket of soap with it. Argh!

msunnerstood

Reaction score
I printed a million and a half labels and labeled and wrapped soap but it's taking me forever because I've somehow injured my wrist. Apparently just moving at my age causes injury. I was reaching for my tea and somehow my wrist went "POP" and now I can't use it very well. So I'm stuck not making soap for a bit or at least not my normal sized batches because I can't use my left wrist to hold anything more than a few ounces and I sure can't pour a bucket of soap with it. Argh!
I feel you. I leaned over to turn off a space heater and landed in the ER unable to stand up when i threw my back off. Hope your wrist feels better soon.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
We had an emergency kitchen repair that has turned into a full-on kitchen remodel (guess that's not a HORRIBLE problem to have). My soaping (and miscellani) area ist kaputt. (that's about the only German I know) Since everything is all over the place, it's too much of a hassle to do anything. Guess I could break out my sewing machine . :D

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
Today I just measured ingredients for a pipe swirl I wanna try on my day off. On a non-soap note ... before work I’m experimenting with hot chocolate bombs to make for my neighbors Christmas baskets this year! The kids and co-workers are enjoying them! They’re also very fun to make! LolView attachment 51740
I want to give these a go. They look pretty straight-forward. And they look like fun to make!

The Park Bench

Park Bench Naturals
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too am working on putting labels on the hundreds of soap bars and shapes I poured earlier. I'm experimenting, but seem to be having success getting my labels to stick to the soap by just wetting the label and putting it straight on the soap!😍. I left a few such labeled bars outside overnight on my porch with it raining. The labels are still stuck tight this morning! I just don't know if they will survive the hot humid summer weather like this. If so, this is a complete Game changer in my labeling!
I can also relate to pain slowing down the soap making process. I have rheumatoid arthritis and some days I'm lucky to be able to hold on to my toothbrush. I pour soap on my good days!

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a Peppermint Soap w/ EO Peppermint from Natural Oils Growers Group ( Amazon) & Winter Wonderland FO from NS both behaved wonderful. I used confetti for base then solid Color for top half in a beautiful color turquoise from NS. I added TD to heated oils I saw on a video' it seamed to mix evenly w/ a smoother texture, I seam to have an issue with TD totally dissolving even when premixed. cant wait to cut it tomorrow. 🧼💫👍🏼
It's A Soap Thing' They Don't Understand... 🤗🧼

Attachments

xavalyss

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I unmolded this beautiful log of Abalone Sea just awhile ago. Made it late yesterday evening.
Here is the Abalone Sea cut, and a new log that needs a name. It's a blend of Leather FO, Cedarwood EO, and 15x Sweet Orange EO.

Attachments

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it depends. If you order just 1 gallon (7-8 lb) of an oil, shipping runs about $17. Best to order more than one oil to get the best shipping.

Date Ordered: Friday, September 4, 2020

COCONUT OIL 76, 7 LBS $13.58 12¢ /oz.
POMACE OLIVE OIL, 7 LBS $16.03 15¢ /oz
PKO, 8 LBS $18.64 15¢ /oz.
RICE BRAN OIL, 7 LBS $12.46 11¢ /oz

SUB TOTAL 60.71
SHIPPING & PROCESSING 24.29

TOTAL $85.00
Can I ask what Co this is? I need to order oils, Thank you in advance

The_Emerald_Chicken

Reaction score
Today I cut two batches from yesterday:

20201122_142115.jpgTobacco & Bay Leaf

...and...

20201122_141938.jpgGinger Ale!

Here's an exclusive behind-the-scenes glimpse of the photography process, showing the St. Bernard (actually only one of three) that wanted to sniff the soap 😅

IMG_2467b.jpg

And here's a batch of Espresso that I made about a week ago:

20201122_141929.jpg

All fragrances are from Brambleberry. I love the Ginger Ale one...it's very authentic! You can see a little tan around the outside edges of the Tobacco & Bay Leaf bars; I suspect that it's just the fragrance starting to discolor (although I initially feared DOS).

Last edited:

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 51789Tobacco & Bay Leaf

...and...

View attachment 51790Ginger Ale!

Here's a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the photography process, showing the St. Bernard (actually only one of three) that wanted to sniff the soap 😅

View attachment 51791

View attachment 51792

All fragrances are from Brambleberry. I love the Ginger Ale one...it's very authentic! You can see a little tan around the outside edges of the Tobacco & Bay Leaf bars; I suspect that it's just the fragrance starting to discolor (although I initially feared DOS).
OMG Beautiful Soaps' love umm.. Your mascot is so cute 🐶.

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing really soapy today

EXCEPT i got my order of FOs from nurture soap today. I have no olive oil, and since i dont normally shop at walmart, i didnt realize they all close early now lol. Apparently for the last 6 or 8 months lol. So have no OO to soap with.

I received all of my NS fo tonight. Plus i bought some clays.

Anyway. OMG Bourbon Street FO OOB smells phenomenal. Its indescribable. Its like...sultry sexy bar with a hot guy. I am addicted to it. Cant pinpoint this smell.

I got a few other new ones, like Empress. I think thats a sexy girl smell. And Rosemary mint....gonna do a nice charcoal one with that.

Plus some regular orders...cucumber melon, afternoon tea, and black rasberry vanilla.

Freakin forgot more Earth Meets sky. Im so mad at me for forgetting to order that.
I have to tell you that I was so impressed with Afternoon Tea - and it actually slows my trace - used it 3 times now - and each time it slowed my trace. Yeah!

...and...

Here's a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the photography process, showing the St. Bernard (actually only one of three) that wanted to sniff the soap 😅

View attachment 51791

View attachment 51792

Gorgeous!

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to tell you that I was so impressed with Afternoon Tea - and it actually slows my trace - used it 3 times now - and each time it slowed my trace. Yeah!
My first Afternoon Tea batch smelled like nothing a week into the cure. I was so disappointed. It has since developed a nice addicting smell. I always sniff it when i walk into to room lol

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely making the right call and am glad to hear it! This South Dakotan-raised boy is so concerned about my S.D. friends and family. Who woulda thought that SD would make national news daily? I'm also concerned about all the soapers on here in COVID hotspots and the small business people hit hard by the COVID economy. Yikes-kers.

I have a soapy story for today. Earlier this year when we remodeled our kitchen (some may remember a year ago we bought a house with no kitchen), our electrician went to the basement and saw all my curing soaps. He got super excited because he and his wife like homemade soaps. So I gave him a few bars. Well, last night he called and said he was out of soap! So he popped by today for a few more bars and wanted to buy them but I just gave them away, no charge. He said that I should start selling and he'd be a customer for life! Which was an ego boost after a grueling 10 hour work day (can't see quitting my day job or having time to sell soap, LOL).

Have a good weekend, people, and stay safe.
Ever since Covid started, I have been leaving a basket in my entryway (outside my house) with soaps in it - for the postman, FedEx, Amazon, UPS drivers, etc. They really seem to like them - I see them (through the window) picking up each soap and smelling them. I swear the postman hand delivers our mail nowadays because he likes the soaps so much. I have probably given him 20 bars by now!

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first Afternoon Tea batch smelled like nothing a week into the cure. I was so disappointed. It has since developed a nice addicting smell. I always sniff it when i walk into to room lol
I love it - I used it for a soap challenge (Ultra Thin Lines Technique) and it really came through for me - and wowza, turns out I really love the smell!

Attachments

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score

...and...

View attachment 51791

View attachment 51792

Did you use actual Ginger Ale and if so, what does it add to the soap? Love all your soaps but I particularly like the Ginger Ale.