What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Virgogoddess

Reaction score
I made the cutest mermaid tale soaps! I’m really happy with these and I used BeScented tropical paradise fragrance oil. It was their July special and behaved quite well!

Attachments

Elizevt

Reaction score
I made an un fragranced soap (no essential oils or fragrance oils)

For my additives I added powdered Chamomile flowers., lavender, Calendula and oats. (all powdered) and a bit of kaolin clay.

The soap is a tan / vomity khaki color with flecks of yellow from the calendula. But it's not bad for a natural soap.

The most prominent smell is the Shea butter. My hubby says Shea butter smells a bit like window putty. Lols.

But I think it will be a good soap. Not the prettiest, but good on the skin.

I Can't wait for it to cure. 😊

IMG_20200731_093713.jpg

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

For my additives I added powdered Chamomile flowers., lavender, Calendula and oats. (all powdered) and a bit of kaolin clay.

The soap is a tan / vomity khaki color with flecks of yellow from the calendula. But it's not bad for a natural soap.

The most prominent smell is the Shea butter. My hubby says Shea butter smells a bit like window putty. Lols.

Those look nice, and I love the smell of shea!

MarinaB

Reaction score

View attachment 48242
What kind of oils have you used?

MarinaB

Reaction score
Today I have made tallow based soap with sand from Gobi desert, Mongolia and lavender mica and lavender&cedar FO from BB. Cannot wait to cut. I make lavender soap sets for Christmas. Each set will have 9 different soaps, all with lavender aroma. I use ingredients from Cambodia(coffee), Mongolia(sand), Vietnam(lavender flowers), Pennsylvania (lavender flowers), Bhutan (clay). Some soaps coconut oil based, some tallow based.

Responding to the wrong person. I haven’t use tar.
Very sorry :)

Tallow based soap

Attachments

Elizevt

Reaction score
What kind of oils have you used?
Hi @MarinaB I used 50% beef tallow, 15%swt Almond 15% Castor oil, 10% coconut oil and 10% Shea butter
I have the recipe details in this post.
I'm tweaking this recipe to see how I can improve it. My very first soap was very similar, and My husband loved it. but it was a bit drying on the hands. so with this recipe, I lowered the coconut oil.

mairwells1

Reaction score
I just went into the kitchen for something and realized my CPOP soap was in the over and I forgot to turn it off. The oven was at 170 f and was there for almost 2 hr. I thought it was a gonner but looks ok on the outside anyway! Hope it's ok on the inside. I will definitely post tomorrow's result!
I have been doing CP in PVC pipe, just wondering if I can cphp in the PVC?

StarChild

Reaction score
That is lucky! I ordered soap dishes on Aliexpress (they came from China), ordered in April, just came yesterday- took 3 months!
I ordered a laser thermometer in February, it took 4 months to arrive by which point I got compensation from the seller and the courier! Crazy!

StarChild

Reaction score
I make CP honey soap with 100 percent coconut oil and 1 Tbsp honey from a next door winery.
How did the colours and soap look and feel? I followed instructions to put soap in the fridge for 3 hours. Next day the colours where pastel (nice) but the soap is tackier than usual. I'm guessing it's because of the extra water present as I usual place in the oven.

StarChild

Reaction score

View attachment 48242
Your husband has a point and I understand where he's coming from that's why I buy refined! As you say Shea butter makes lovely soap.

ntt817

Reaction score
I finally made my first batch of soap after many many hours of watching and reading! I was so nervous. There was a tiny mishap with the FO but I think it turned out okay. The rose FO accelerated way too fast I couldn't dump it out fast enough to swirl. That’s why there are large chunky areas of color.

Attachments

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I finally unmolded some MWHP mini soaps I poured last week. Unfortunately, I used plastic molds, and even after freezing them I had a hard time getting the little soaps out. Most of them are at least a little chipped up, and some of them were dropped when my unmolding efforts yielded unexpectedly. I threw the molds away when I finished and promptly ordered silicone ones. The molds were nearly destroyed by my attempts to get the soap out anyways. But I'm thrilled the bars are showing the color and detail as well as they are. My scraps from the batch were poured into a silicone ice cube tray, and those released easily the day after the pour, so I have high hopes for future attempts.

Attachments

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Today I finally unmolded some MWHP mini soaps I poured last week. Unfortunately, I used plastic molds, and even after freezing them I had a hard time getting the little soaps out. Most of them are at least a little chipped up, and some of them were dropped when my unmolding efforts yielded unexpectedly. I threw the molds away when I finished and promptly ordered silicone ones. The molds were nearly destroyed by my attempts to get the soap out anyways. But I'm thrilled the bars are showing the color and detail as well as they are. My scraps from the batch were poured into a silicone ice cube tray, and those released easily the day after the pour, so I have high hopes for future attempts.
Those do look nice! If you can still fish those plastic molds out of the trash, although they are pretty much for MP, you can use a release spray or a light coating of mineral oil if you want to use them for CP or HP soap.

I have been doing CP in PVC pipe, just wondering if I can cphp in the PVC?
PVC pipe molds can withstand the added heat of CPOP. However, due to the insulating nature of PVC, my CP soaps gel in my PVC molds with no need for additional heat. I don't even wrap them in towels.

Last edited:

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those do look nice! If you can still fish those plastic molds out of the trash, although they are pretty much for MP, you can use a release spray or a light coating of mineral oil if you want to use them for CP or HP soap.
Good to know for the future. I had to bend them so much to get the soap out, they're pretty crumpled and no longer lie flat. If I needed them again, I would probably buy new ones so I could get a flat pour. Currently, the little molds are what I use for tiny experimental batches since they dry out faster, and I don't want to spend that much time unmolding every experiment.

goat soap rulz!

Reaction score
My colorants came in last night, so of course i had to make soap at 8:00 at night! Me and my friend were on FT while i was making it, and she wanted to see me cut it, and it turned out better than i thought it would! I got the inspitation from western colors and clothes like these:
1596307899052.png

And i am VERY happy with how it turned out!2F3D20E0-EABE-42DF-AEAF-F3A0E2C2333A.jpeg