What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut yesterday's soap which I think I'm calling Cafe au Lait. This is my first coffee soap and I'm pretty happy with the result. I used 'Fresh Brewed Coffee' fragrance in the bottom only. I put in some coffee grounds for exfoliation and there are 3 bars I think with a concentrated circle of grounds that I didn't mix in properly. I also added cream directly into the batter which was part of the water portion of the recipe. It smells lovely.
Soap 23 - Cafe au Lait2.jpg

Last edited:
@SPowers That coffee soap looks amazing! How much coffee did you use?

I guess it doesn't count for today but yesterday I cut the "pea soup" soap I made Sunday. Apparently, that formula lightens quite a bit on saponification so the colors actually turned out quite nice!(I'd never tried to color that formula before. It's got a good bit of shea and I used up the last of some evoo).

Attachments

• 116300785_3261562150600052_5078734739498416091_n.jpg
    116300785_3261562150600052_5078734739498416091_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Today I made a Hawaiian Red Sea Salt Soap with Red Palm. This is divided with an AC pencil line (which got a bit out of control) so hope it's ok. The top has TD to lighten. I didn't have enough of the Red Palm so adjusted with another hard oil... the colour isn't quite what it should be but hopefully there will be enough of a difference between the 2 layers. Anxious to see the cut.

@SPowers That coffee soap looks amazing! How much coffee did you use?

I guess it doesn't count for today but yesterday I cut the "pea soup" soap I made Sunday. Apparently, that formula lightens quite a bit on saponification so the colors actually turned out quite nice!(I'd never tired to color that formula before. It's got a good bit of shea and I used up the last of some evoo).

Thanks so much... I use a masterbatch 1:1 lye/water solution so the coffee amount added was about 6 oz... I didn't make enough so added the missing 2% in cream which I added to the top layer.

Attachments

• Soap 23 - Red Hawaiian Salt with Red Palm.jpg
    Soap 23 - Red Hawaiian Salt with Red Palm.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 26
Today I made a Hawaiian Red Sea Salt Soap with Red Palm. This is divided with an AC pencil line (which got a bit out of control) so hope it's ok. The top has TD to lighten. I didn't have enough of the Red Palm so adjusted with another hard oil... the colour isn't quite what it should be but hopefully there will be enough of a difference between the 2 layers. Anxious to see the cut.
Would like to see the cut.

Lavender soap

Attachments

• IMG_20200729_142404_804.jpg
    IMG_20200729_142404_804.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 21
Would like to see the cut.

I just went into the kitchen for something and realized my CPOP soap was in the over and I forgot to turn it off. The oven was at 170 f and was there for almost 2 hr. I thought it was a gonner but looks ok on the outside anyway! Hope it's ok on the inside. I will definitely post tomorrow's result!

Last edited:
Anxiously awaiting my micas from nurture soap to come in! I don't like ordering stuff because I'm impatient, and it won't be here until Saturday :(. I haven't made soap for a WEEK! I want to save my ingredients for some fun colored soaps!!!

I cut my Red Hawaiian Salt soap today and I'm pleased with the result. It doesn't seem that leaving the oven on did any damage - so glad I don't keep

View attachment 48209
mine in overnight! Hope you like it!
I have salt from Welichco salt mine, Poland. Would like to make something like that!
I make my soap ONLY with ingredients I brought from my trips.

You know... I have never heard about using an oven in making soap. I only wrap my soap into 2 bath towels and it is.

It’s beautiful!! I wonder if it would have looked any differently without the extra heat.

I don't know?? I should retake the photo as the colours are actually brighter than shown.

You know... I have never heard about using an oven in making soap. I only wrap my soap into 2 bath towels and it is.

it's call 'cold process, oven process'. It forces gel. Turn your oven to the lowest setting which is usually 170 f. When you are done with your loaf, put it in the oven and turn it off. Many leave it overnight with the oven light on. I soap mid day and use my oven a lot so I 'cpop' for 2 hours only which I'm told is all thats needed to force gel. I then move it to my spare room, cover it and leave it overnight.

I have salt from Welichco salt mine, Poland. Would like to make something like that!
I make my soap ONLY with ingredients I brought from my trips.

Great idea, especially if you travel a lot and to different places.

Depending on the recipe and desired outcome, people do a lot of different things with their soap. If the recipe is prone to overheating(milk or FO can cause this) and you don't want it to gel you might want to put it in the refrigerator or freezer. If the recipe doesn't heat up much and you do want it to gel, you can try putting it in a barely warm oven or on a heating pad. In general, it's going to harden/saponify faster at higher temperatures, but if that's taken too far it can can overheat and volcano or form a grainy texture. Where and how you strike the balance is mostly preference.

Back