What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too like the natural look. Although I will admit I don't like pink. Had to stomach it while my granddaughter was in her pink phase. And believe me, she wouldn't wear salmon...I tried! LOL The salmon color is a great foil for the off white...now I have another thing to add to my soapy "Try This List"

As the day has worn on, it is becoming more and more butterscotch looking. Never again Goat milk instead of Oatmilk! That one letter makes a biiiiiiig difference!

Here is the cut. Pretty swirl but the coconut scent isn't really there. I used coconut milk in the masterbatch (which I've done before) and added some coconut powder to the batter (which I haven't done before). The main, white batter had Kaolin Clay and TD added to it to make it white but if you look closely, the white is speckled - with what I have no idea. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the coconut milk. It shouldn't be scorched I don't think. Or is it possible I didn't mix the clay and TD in properly? I still like it though but there always seems to be something that's not quite right!
View attachment 48050
Those are so pretty! ETA: I thought you were talking about white specks, but now I see some dark ones, like the ones that were visible on the top of the loaf that you posted earlier. Still looks very nice.

Those are so pretty! ETA: I thought you were talking about white specks, but now I see some dark ones, like the ones that were visible on the top of the loaf that you posted earlier. Still looks very nice.

Thanks... yes, I still think it's pretty. I was going through my notes and one of the things I've noticed on my last 3 soaps (same base - different colour and fragrance) is the texture is different from the others I've made with the same base. The only variable is the coconut milk which I used in all 3. I think it's the culprit maybe for all that is wrong and I won't use it again. I had very good success with the homemade coconut milk - a bit more work but worth the effort.

I made 2 batches of soap today. The first one is another MWHP facial soap recipe, experimenting with, BB Lavender EO to see if it causes DOS, and swirling with toothpick in individual molds. The second batch is a 2.25 lb CP log, trying to make the inside look like opal with a drop swirl. White has WSP Snowflake Sparkle, so panic not about the white specks within. FO of WSP Bamboo Lotus. One of the techniques I'm playing with is swirling with Mica in oil so the oil gets absorbed into the soap leaving concentrated color. The seashells are developing some fine pink striping where I experimented with them. It's killing me slightly that I can't see the inside of the loaf until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. Everything is still under plastic wrap, but here are some photos. I CPOPd the loaf.

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_195656.jpg
    IMG_20200725_195656.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200725_195445.jpg
    IMG_20200725_195445.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 13
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the coconut milk.

Your soap looks great!
I just had the exact same issue with my cut this morning. Do you use coconut milk powder?
I use powder and I’ve been noticing what I think is probably a bit coconut pulp showing up in the white parts of my soap. I’m going to make up a reconstituted batch and try straining it out in cheesecloth to see if it makes a difference.

Made Creamsicle soap for my young daughters who wanted “fun soap”. Definitely a few things I’ll do differently next time but on the whole I think it’s cute. Dreamsicle was such a nice fragrance that the slight discoloring is an acceptable trade off for me—though I hope it doesn’t darken too much...

A7B4B2EC-7ABC-4841-92AF-198BA6D703C7.jpeg
C949C550-8909-4B86-B198-E2AC4A7E9A27.jpeg

Your soap looks great!
I just had the exact same issue with my cut this morning. Do you use coconut milk powder?
I use powder and I’ve been noticing what I think is probably a bit coconut pulp showing up in the white parts of my soap. I’m going to make up a reconstituted batch and try straining it out in cheesecloth to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks - yes, it's the first time I used coconut powder. I used milk in the lye/water masterbatch plus the powder. If reconstituted though, I guess I wouldn't be using the actual milk??? I was hoping for a 'more' without adding more liquid.

After three weeks of not wanting to make soap at ALL (current world events and personal life stuff has me a bit depressed) I made myself make an "easy" batch, with a simple itp swirl, a well behaving FO, and a recipe I've used before. It was a pleasant enough experience buuut (of course) I forgot/under estimated how yellow my shea formula is and instead of nice lavender and mint green, I have brownish purple and pea soup green 🤣 🤣 🤣
Lesson learned.
Whatever. It smells nice and I love the formula so I may keep this one for myself.

Today I planed and beveled one of my soaps. I considered making a batch - currently have 3 I want to try - but decided to give my little apartment some love and did some cleaning! Tomorrow is another day!

Today I planed and beveled one of my soaps. I considered making a batch - currently have 3 I want to try - but decided to give my little apartment some love and did some cleaning! Tomorrow is another day!
I need to do some cleaning up of batches. What do you use to plane?

After three weeks of not wanting to make soap at ALL (current world events and personal life stuff has me a bit depressed) I made myself make an "easy" batch, with a simple itp swirl, a well behaving FO, and a recipe I've used before. It was a pleasant enough experience buuut (of course) I forgot/under estimated how yellow my shea formula is and instead of nice lavender and mint green, I have brownish purple and pea soup green 🤣 🤣 🤣
Lesson learned.
Whatever. It smells nice and I love the formula so I may keep this one for myself.

I've been feeling down too the past couple of days (just so much negativity everywhere) but I played around with my craft show display that I keep set up in one of my rooms and that made me feel better. I rearranged some of my soaps and tried out some new lighting. I also tried my hot process soap in a cool Texas shaped mold I have and it turned out really well. I love sodium lactate and without it, I don't think this would have turned out good at all.

Attachments

• IMG_9451.JPG
    IMG_9451.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 18
I had a batch of soap that turned out so great, everybody who tried it loved it, including me. So, yesterday I got all set up to make another double batch. Meticulously measured everything. This is only the second time I’ve made it. And, my recipes from the first time weren’t as clear. I splurged on some rose geranium EO, I was surprised it survived the cure so well in the first batch! I poured the rose geranium EO, and then I mis read the g of tangerine and orange EO and added WAAAAAAY too much. Completely ruined the rose geranium, undetectable. I was so bummed. It smelled kind of like whiskey at first, really bad. So, I changed plans, made two loaves with totally different design, used what I had. Hopefully I’m surprised tomorrow and it turns out good. Usually it does.

BTW, is there a trick for not spilling EO when pouring? I hate to waste a drop! And, for the life of me I can’t pour it without it dripping down the side of the bottle!

Latest posts

Back