What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a batch of soap that turned out so great, everybody who tried it loved it, including me. So, yesterday I got all set up to make another double batch. Meticulously measured everything. This is only the second time I’ve made it. And, my recipes from the first time weren’t as clear. I splurged on some rose geranium EO, I was surprised it survived the cure so well in the first batch! I poured the rose geranium EO, and then I mis read the g of tangerine and orange EO and added WAAAAAAY too much. Completely ruined the rose geranium, undetectable. I was so bummed. It smelled kind of like whiskey at first, really bad. So, I changed plans, made two loaves with totally different design, used what I had. Hopefully I’m surprised tomorrow and it turns out good. Usually it does.

Ah! Here's hoping. I seem to always have something "go wrong" when I soap. Hopefully it turns out ok!
Orange EO's are pretty fragile and tend to fade, so you might be surprised after cure?

BTW, is there a trick for not spilling EO when pouring? I hate to waste a drop! And, for the life of me I can’t pour it without it dripping down the side of the bottle!

I wish I knew!! I am CONSTANTLY having oils drip (sometimes a lot) when pouring to measure, to the point, it ruined the plastic on my small scale(not my big/main one, thankfully! The small scale was cheap too)

I know there's the "pour stick" method, where you hold a stick(chopstick or something similar) across the mouth of the bottle and pour, so that the oil pours down the stick. But I can't ever seem to get it to work. I think I need to practice. I actually did practice a bit with just plain olive oil today (After again failing with a fragrance oil - thankfully I've learned to put wax paper underneath when I weigh now) and found that pouring too tentatively can actually cause problems. When I used the stick and moved the bottle (from upright to 90 degrees) quickly, I didn't have as much a mess. I can't believe I have to seriously practice pouring oil. :rolleyes:
Anyway you may find this helpful (and may you be more successful at it than I have) Tutorial: Pouring Essential Oils (and Other Liquids) Without Spilling a Drop! • Modern Soapmaking

also!
https://classicbells.com/soap/pourTips.asp
I cut and beveled my first attempt at an Opal soap. I tried a few different approaches with my pour to see what worked, so the drop swirl varies quite a bit. The white specks are a glitter Mica.
OOooh that's pretty! I've had an idea to use layered ITP swirls to do a "black opal" soap inspired by my engagement ring. But I think I like this approach better!

I had a batch of soap that turned out so great, everybody who tried it loved it, including me. So, yesterday I got all set up to make another double batch. Meticulously measured everything. This is only the second time I’ve made it. And, my recipes from the first time weren’t as clear. I splurged on some rose geranium EO, I was surprised it survived the cure so well in the first batch! I poured the rose geranium EO, and then I mis read the g of tangerine and orange EO and added WAAAAAAY too much. Completely ruined the rose geranium, undetectable. I was so bummed. It smelled kind of like whiskey at first, really bad. So, I changed plans, made two loaves with totally different design, used what I had. Hopefully I’m surprised tomorrow and it turns out good. Usually it does.

BTW, is there a trick for not spilling EO when pouring? I hate to waste a drop! And, for the life of me I can’t pour it without it dripping down the side of the bottle!
When I'm adding FO or EO, I use disposable pipettes to take it from the bottle to my measuring cup/scale.

All soaps are colored with natural ingredients - oak bark, tea, honey, paprika, turmeric, calendula.

Attachments

• IMG-20200725-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200725-WA0009.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 26
I know there's the "pour stick" method, where you hold a stick(chopstick or something similar) across the mouth of the bottle and pour, so that the oil pours down the stick. But I can't ever seem to get it to work. I think I need to practice. I actually did practice a bit with just plain olive oil today (After again failing with a fragrance oil - thankfully I've learned to put wax paper underneath when I weigh now) and found that pouring too tentatively can actually cause problems. When I used the stick and moved the bottle (from upright to 90 degrees) quickly, I didn't have as much a mess. I can't believe I have to seriously practice pouring oil. :rolleyes:
Anyway you may find this helpful (and may you be more successful at it than I have) Tutorial: Pouring Essential Oils (and Other Liquids) Without Spilling a Drop! • Modern Soapmaking

I saw someone use the stick on a video recently. Thanks for the tip and the link! I’ll check it out. The orange was 10x orange, so I don’t think it’ll fade too much, but I’m hopeful it’ll be nice soap anyway. Yeah, having to practice pouring oil can really be a blow to my confidence! 😆
Because I HATE wasting a drop I have come up with a fun hack. I wipe all EO drips and containers with a paper towel, then I keep a muslin bag of those paper towels hanging behind my bathroom sink, and inside my closet door. Smells nice!

I received a bunch of micas, FO's, and oils this weekend so I spent most of yesterday oohing and ahhing over all the smells and colors. Lol! I did find the time amongst all the "organizing" to trim up these lovelies. It was my first time working with micas and my first try at a one pot wonder design. They are Basil and Grapefruit scented.
20200726_185600.jpg
20200726_185639.jpg

Last edited:

@TashaBird:
I haven't tried it yet so can't speak from personal experience, but Lisa of "I Dream in Soap" youtube channel (amazingly great teacher) recommends holding a small stick like a toothpick or something under the rim of the thingy you are pouring out of to direct the flow and avoid the drips. She's a font of great information. I'm not describing it well and recommend browsing her videos!

@TashaBird:
I haven't tried it yet so can't speak from personal experience, but Lisa of "I Dream in Soap" youtube channel (amazingly great teacher) recommends holding a small stick like a toothpick or something under the rim of the thingy you are pouring out of to direct the flow and avoid the drips. She's a font of great information. I'm not describing it well and recommend browsing her videos!
Yeah, I love her work!

I saw a YouTube video where they took gold mica and mixed it with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and misted the top of a loaf. I just did it with pink, and now I’m worried it’ll stain skin and wondering if I should rinse it off before I unfold them. What do you think?

@TashaBird:
I've also seen her and others use pipettes, which I'm planning to grab a few of before using EOs again.
I saw a YouTube video where they took gold mica and mixed it with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and misted the top of a loaf. I just did it with pink, and now I’m worried it’ll stain skin and wondering if I should rinse it off before I unfold them. What do you think?
When I a get new mica I dip my finger in it, rub it between 2 fingers, and rinse it off. If the color sticks, I know to stay to the lighter side of the recommended amount. If it rinses off, I know I can go crazy with it.

View attachment 48083
Made this yesterday but cut it today. It got a little hot so there are some minor tiny bubbles here and there, but I am mostly happy with it. Scented with a mix of patchouli, bergamot and litsea.

Very Pretty! And great swirl.

I made a coffee soap today and so far so good... hope the cut is nice.

Soap 23 - Cafe au Lait.jpg

I've also seen her and others use pipettes, which I'm planning to grab a few of before using EOs again.

When I a get new mica I dip my finger in it, rub it between 2 fingers, and rinse it off. If the color sticks, I know to stay to the lighter side of the recommended amount. If it rinses off, I know I can go crazy with it.
Shoot! It’s not rinsing off completely. I’m going to rinse the top.

Started with a plan. Made a mistake. Regrouped and changed plans. Thought I’d hate it. I don’t hate it, kinda like it. Orange, tangerine, and rose geranium EO. The geranium is actually coming through now. And, check out my high tech tools! Some day I’ll have fancy tools. But, these are the days of use-what-you-got!
Also, anxiously awaiting a few orders of new supplies.

Attachments

• FDF16223-19B6-457A-8E18-4338DD14CD8A.jpeg
    FDF16223-19B6-457A-8E18-4338DD14CD8A.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 30
  • AC96CFC5-5295-43B6-B6F9-D91596B632C2.jpeg
    AC96CFC5-5295-43B6-B6F9-D91596B632C2.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 4FBE77AE-5863-44A0-99C2-FFC2DC94EC39.jpeg
    4FBE77AE-5863-44A0-99C2-FFC2DC94EC39.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 32
I spent two and a half hours searching for a rubber ducky soap mold. I had ordered and received one but its finished dimensions were half what they claimed so I returned it. Cannot believe how hard it is to find a ducky mold bigger than 1-2 inches. Found one though FINALLY

Ooooh, where did you happen to find it? If you don't mind me asking. I've been on the search for a ducky mold but have been having the same issue as you with finding a decently sized one.

Not soap related, but I am excited that I ordered all the supplies to get me started in resin casting. I will be using my same soaping micas in the resin though, so I guess it's a little bit soapy related?? LOL

Not soap related, but I am excited that I ordered all the supplies to get me started in resin casting. I will be using my same soaping micas in the resin though, so I guess it's a little bit soapy related?? LOL
I like the idea of resin casting, but I would need more space. I've occasionally wondered about the feasibility of resin soap dishes so I could make dishes that coordinate with soaps(and have room for water to drain), but I haven't done enough research to know if that arrangement would be bad for soap or resin. It's one of the many things I spend a few minutes looking into every so often.

Latest posts

Back