Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s beautiful!! I wonder if it would have looked any differently without the extra heat.
I don't know?? I should retake the photo as the colours are actually brighter than shown.

You know... I have never heard about using an oven in making soap. I only wrap my soap into 2 bath towels and it is.
it's call 'cold process, oven process'. It forces gel. Turn your oven to the lowest setting which is usually 170 f. When you are done with your loaf, put it in the oven and turn it off. Many leave it overnight with the oven light on. I soap mid day and use my oven a lot so I 'cpop' for 2 hours only which I'm told is all thats needed to force gel. I then move it to my spare room, cover it and leave it overnight.

I have salt from Welichco salt mine, Poland. Would like to make something like that!
I make my soap ONLY with ingredients I brought from my trips.
Great idea, especially if you travel a lot and to different places.

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know... I have never heard about using an oven in making soap. I only wrap my soap into 2 bath towels and it is.
Depending on the recipe and desired outcome, people do a lot of different things with their soap. If the recipe is prone to overheating(milk or FO can cause this) and you don't want it to gel you might want to put it in the refrigerator or freezer. If the recipe doesn't heat up much and you do want it to gel, you can try putting it in a barely warm oven or on a heating pad. In general, it's going to harden/saponify faster at higher temperatures, but if that's taken too far it can can overheat and volcano or form a grainy texture. Where and how you strike the balance is mostly preference.

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to share my great buy! I've been looking for an individual cavity mold - something for my 8 yo grandson and couldn't find anything I liked online. I ran across one on Etsy which usually isn't very cost effective for me, especially in terms of shipping costs - it was $12 usd with 'free' shipping! Oh my I thought... then saw it was from China. Well I thought I'd give it a try - if I lose $12, it's not the end of the world. I got a purchase confirmation within minutes, and shipping confirmation within 12 hours. I received it today - a little over 2 weeks after ordering it! And I love it! It's dinosaurs and they are really big molds. Can't wait to make soap in them.
p.s. looked at the site today and shipping is now $5 but still very good in my opinion.

Attachments

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to share my great buy! I've been looking for an individual cavity mold - something for my 8 yo grandson and couldn't find anything I liked online. I ran across one on Etsy which usually isn't very cost effective for me, especially in terms of shipping costs - it was $12 usd with 'free' shipping! Oh my I thought... then saw it was from China. Well I thought I'd give it a try - if I lose $12, it's not the end of the world. I got a purchase confirmation within minutes, and shipping confirmation within 12 hours. I received it today - a little over 2 weeks after ordering it! And I love it! It's dinosaurs and they are really big molds. Can't wait to make soap in them.
p.s. looked at the site today and shipping is now $5 but still very good in my opinion.
That is lucky! I ordered soap dishes on Aliexpress (they came from China), ordered in April, just came yesterday- took 3 months!

Virgogoddess

Reaction score
I made the cutest mermaid tale soaps! I’m really happy with these and I used BeScented tropical paradise fragrance oil. It was their July special and behaved quite well!

Attachments

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is lucky! I ordered soap dishes on Aliexpress (they came from China), ordered in April, just came yesterday- took 3 months!
that's what I was afraid of... really got lucky with this order for sure.

MGM

Reaction score
I had to share my great buy!
I have that mould too! Mine came with a mould for smaller dinos, too; you're right, the others are BIG.
I've only made one batch so far but do intend to make more.

Oh wait, mine is slightly different. Cute tho!

Attachments

Elizevt

Reaction score
I made an un fragranced soap (no essential oils or fragrance oils)

For my additives I added powdered Chamomile flowers., lavender, Calendula and oats. (all powdered) and a bit of kaolin clay.

The soap is a tan / vomity khaki color with flecks of yellow from the calendula. But it's not bad for a natural soap.

The most prominent smell is the Shea butter. My hubby says Shea butter smells a bit like window putty. Lols.

But I think it will be a good soap. Not the prettiest, but good on the skin.

I Can't wait for it to cure. 😊

IMG_20200731_093713.jpg

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

For my additives I added powdered Chamomile flowers., lavender, Calendula and oats. (all powdered) and a bit of kaolin clay.

The soap is a tan / vomity khaki color with flecks of yellow from the calendula. But it's not bad for a natural soap.

The most prominent smell is the Shea butter. My hubby says Shea butter smells a bit like window putty. Lols.

Those look nice, and I love the smell of shea!

MarinaB

Reaction score

View attachment 48242
What kind of oils have you used?

MarinaB

Reaction score
Today I have made tallow based soap with sand from Gobi desert, Mongolia and lavender mica and lavender&cedar FO from BB. Cannot wait to cut. I make lavender soap sets for Christmas. Each set will have 9 different soaps, all with lavender aroma. I use ingredients from Cambodia(coffee), Mongolia(sand), Vietnam(lavender flowers), Pennsylvania (lavender flowers), Bhutan (clay). Some soaps coconut oil based, some tallow based.

Responding to the wrong person. I haven’t use tar.
Very sorry :)

Tallow based soap

Attachments

Elizevt

Reaction score
What kind of oils have you used?
Hi @MarinaB I used 50% beef tallow, 15%swt Almond 15% Castor oil, 10% coconut oil and 10% Shea butter
I have the recipe details in this post.
I'm tweaking this recipe to see how I can improve it. My very first soap was very similar, and My husband loved it. but it was a bit drying on the hands. so with this recipe, I lowered the coconut oil.

mairwells1

Reaction score
I just went into the kitchen for something and realized my CPOP soap was in the over and I forgot to turn it off. The oven was at 170 f and was there for almost 2 hr. I thought it was a gonner but looks ok on the outside anyway! Hope it's ok on the inside. I will definitely post tomorrow's result!
I have been doing CP in PVC pipe, just wondering if I can cphp in the PVC?