What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp. I tried my hand at HP for the first time.
I did a modified small batch version of Genny’s Shampoo bar. I think I let it get slightly too hot at 220F. It was honestly rather ok but I flew too close to the sun when it came to adding the additives when it cooled. Too much honey perhaps. 2 tsp in my cooled lye and 1 more tsp added with my super fat and some reserved coconut milk. Its going to be crumbly I’d say. I wish it were more fluid...I did manage to get it in the mold and get rid of some drier bits 🤦🏻‍♀️View attachment 47587
It looks great. The only tricks I have, are to hold back a little liquid (I usually hold back 2 tablespoons) and add them in after the cook. I like to add in ACV, yogurt, coconut milk, a simple sugar syrup, sodium lactate, my extra super fat and fragrance. All must be quite warm. That usually loosens up the batter to do a nice hangar swirl.

msunnerstood

Reaction score
im going to try the one-pot wonder technique shortly. Being its hot process it wont look like tre maries but im giving it a shot

ETA: well that didn't go as planned. my blue base layer thickened up too fast and the other colors remained more fluid so i know there's a blob of blue in a few places. well, at least it will be colorful

Last edited:

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my 3rd attempt at a rainbow soap! The first was a disaster; the 2nd I made in a cylinder and while it was fine, I didn't quite get the lollypop swirl I was going for.
This is my 60% lard recipe which was great to work with. Not perfect as I'm pretty sure I poured 2 of the 6 layers a bit too early so I doubt I will get nice clean lines. I think overall it will be considered a success... looking forward to the cut tomorrow!

Attachments

Vandam

Reaction score
I always make beer soap so today I thought I would try the beer foam look. I thought I had it all planned out then suddenly my sensible planning brain went on hiatus and my "fly by the seat of my pants, let's try this and this" brain took control. Luckily I only do small batches and tomorrow's another day. I am hoping it turned out enough to tweak and try again.

Attachments

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut some soap I made yesterday with a technique I’m calling “lazy layers”. Wrapped and labeled some soaps done curing. Put some salt soap to bed for the long sleep. Also, made my first attempt at a gradient soap, combined with my first use of confetti shavings. It was a soaptastic day!

Attachments

MGM

Reaction score
Well I finally put the rope in my Rustic Beer Soaps today.. very happy with them.. next up some Coconut Ice with Madder Root layers. 😊 got my grandson next week for the school holidays so it will be a Soap-free week here..
Oh my that's fantastic. Can you remind us/point us to how you did this?
Gorgeous pic, too!

Wrapped and labeled some soaps done curing.
Your Chocolate-Basil soap is very intriguing to me, @TashaBird. Do you mind sharing your fragrance recipe? I have chocolate FO and basil EO....any recommendations about ratios? I tend to experiment with fragrances either using a roll-on and pretending it's perfume, and then escalating to using it in M&P, but then by the time you get to CP, it could all act different anyway.....

lynnecancilla

Reaction score
I made 3 loaves today. Blue raspberry slushie, frankincense &.myrrh, and bay rum. I hadn't soaped in about a month. So happy to have finally gotten back to being productive!

Jillyb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh my that's fantastic. Can you remind us/point us to how you did this?
Gorgeous pic, too!
Thanks...
I used 2 bottles of reduced citrus beer as half lye water...HP once cooked with PCSF, mixed AC with half. Put beer half in mold roughly, sprayed finely with Isopropyl Alcohol before adding AC pencil line.. checked it wetted -must admit I sprayed a lil bit more (very finely) before topping with AC half leaving top quite rough and dusted with AC. Then popped it in oven for 10min on 90C (which I do with any pencil lines just seems to work for me to stop them coming apart).
The best effect of dark crackle look on top from charcoal dusting is cut down to create effect thats on the side..
Just a real fun soap to do..

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Chocolate-Basil soap is very intriguing to me, @TashaBird. Do you mind sharing your fragrance recipe? I have chocolate FO and basil EO....any recommendations about ratios? I tend to experiment with fragrances either using a roll-on and pretending it's perfume, and then escalating to using it in M&P, but then by the time you get to CP, it could all act different anyway.....
I made this soap before I’d heard of Eocalc. I just used chocolate powder for coloring and basil essential oil only. Apparently I used much more than recommended safe. But I’ve been using it on my sensitive skin daily and it seems fine. No formula. But I love basil essential oil!

MGM

Reaction score
Thanks...
I used 2 bottles of reduced citrus beer as half lye water...HP once cooked with PCSF, mixed AC with half. Put beer half in mold roughly, sprayed finely with Isopropyl Alcohol before adding AC pencil line.. checked it wetted -must admit I sprayed a lil bit more (very finely) before topping with AC half leaving top quite rough and dusted with AC. Then popped it in oven for 10min on 90C (which I do with any pencil lines just seems to work for me to stop them coming apart).
The best effect of dark crackle look on top from charcoal dusting is cut down to create effect thats on the side..
Just a real fun soap to do..
Ok wait.....I was mainly interested in the *rope* which you didn't even mention, but then there's lots more in here to ask about! ;-)

PCSF?
Any reason to think I couldn't do this CP? I'm thinking not, but then again, I don't know what PCSF is (a magik spell??) and I still don't know how that rope got in....🤓

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok wait.....I was mainly interested in the *rope* which you didn't even mention, but then there's lots more in here to ask about! ;-)

PCSF?
Any reason to think I couldn't do this CP? I'm thinking not, but then again, I don't know what PCSF is (a magik spell??) and I still don't know how that rope got in....🤓
I don’t know how “that” rope got in, but you can poke a hole in your soap with a straw and insert a rope in that.

Reactions: MGM

MGM

Reaction score
I don’t know how “that” rope got in, but you can poke a hole in your soap with a straw and insert a rope in that.
when tho? before unmolding, I guess, but not right away.....thoughts, anyone else who does holey soap?

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I got my planer/beveler delivered so today I spent a good deal of time cleaning up my soaps. After that I 'washed' them and they all look so shiny and pretty!
And then if that wasn't enough, I attempted a rebatch with all my scraps. I now know I need to separate these scraps by colour range or something. I had a real mixed bag and in the end the soap looks like cement in my mold! I read that this soap can come out of the mold within a few hours and mine came away nicely from the sides but when I took it out of the mold I lost the corners. The bottom is very soft... I scraped the bottom of the mold and put it in the corners and hopefully I can clean it up when it hardens properly. I had a separate container of diced soap which I put in like confetti to add some colour and interest... we'll see what it looks like tomorrow!

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
when tho? before unmolding, I guess, but not right away.....thoughts, anyone else who does holey soap?
Before the soap sets up. I’ve only done it once. Had no interest in soap on a rope.

Reactions: MGM

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score

PCSF?
First thing I thought is you could drill it but the bit would have to be very clean. Also a stainless steel straw would probably work. I would probably wait till it set up a bit for a couple days but this is just me speculating because I’ve never done it here’s a thread that talks about it.

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I thought is you could drill it but the bit would have to be very clean. Also a stainless steel straw would probably work. I would probably wait till it set up a bit for a couple days but this is just me speculating because I’ve never done it here’s a thread that talks about it.
No, you just put a straw in the soap (individual molds) when it’s set up but not hard. Leave the straw in place until you unmold .

Latest posts